Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Popping sound?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2021, 03:10 PM
ski35off
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Popping sound?

I'm wondering if anyone else is hearing this on their car. When the car is not running, but turned on - e.g. simply inserting the key but not turning it, I hear a series of popping sounds. Almost like a relay clicking on/off, but much louder than any I've heard.

Short video here to illustrate. You may need to turn up the volume.

Old 01-29-2021, 03:22 PM
Porsche444
Rennlist Member

Received 554 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by ski35off
I'm wondering if anyone else is hearing this on their car. When the car is not running, but turned on - e.g. simply inserting the key but not turning it, I hear a series of popping sounds. Almost like a relay clicking on/off, but much louder than any I've heard.

Short video here to illustrate. You may need to turn up the volume.
Mine does that a lot. When I turn it off, it clicks and ticks away. I always think that if your porsche doesn't have odd smells and sounds, something is wrong, lol
Old 01-29-2021, 03:30 PM
ski35off
Advanced

Originally Posted by Porsche444
Mine does that a lot. When I turn it off, it clicks and ticks away. I always think that if your porsche doesn't have odd smells and sounds, something is wrong, lol
Our previous 981 GT4 didn't do this, so it's a new thing. Whether by design or due to a fault is the question. But thanks for letting me know that yours does it to. Anyone else?
Old 01-29-2021, 03:37 PM
Trj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

Our previous 981 GT4 didn't do this, so it's a new thing. Whether by design or due to a fault is the question. But thanks for letting me know that yours does it to. Anyone else?

I have heard something usually right when I first start driving that is a loud pop. Thought It may have been a shipping spacer in the passenger front spring but pulled the wheels nothing there. Nothing loose???
Old 01-29-2021, 03:39 PM
ski35off
Advanced

Originally Posted by Trj
I have heard something usually right when I first start driving that is a loud pop. Thought It may have been a shipping spacer in the passenger front spring but pulled the wheels nothing there. Nothing loose???
Nothing loose, this literally happens when the car is just sitting there. Engine not running, but powered on. Happens also when I've parked the car, turned if off, locked the doors and walking away...
Old 01-29-2021, 03:44 PM
Porsche444
Rennlist Member

Nothing loose, this literally happens when the car is just sitting there. Engine not running, but powered on. Happens also when I've parked the car, turned if off, locked the doors and walking away...
My wife has said several times that she hears my car ticking when she goes into garage after I return from a drive, I told her it's either a bomb or the car has a mental/nervous tick!!! 😆🤣😂
Old 01-29-2021, 03:49 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

My understanding is that that sound is suspension related, with tension in the springs releasing. Kind of a metallic pop or boing sound.
Old 01-29-2021, 03:52 PM
ski35off
Advanced

Originally Posted by Archimedes
My understanding is that that sound is suspension related, with tension in the springs releasing. Kind of a metallic pop or boing sound.
I am quite certain this is not what I'm hearing. The car can be sitting for a week, and when I put the key in, the car powers up and starts making this noise.
Old 01-29-2021, 03:53 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

I am quite certain this is not what I'm hearing. The car can be sitting for a week, and when I put the key in, the car powers up and starts making this noise.
Does it happen without you sitting in it, or only after you climbed inside?

Sure you're not just hearing the fuel pump priming?

My car makes a number of different sounds. Hard to keep them all straight.
Old 01-29-2021, 03:59 PM
ski35off
Advanced

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Does it happen without you sitting in it, or only after you climbed inside?

Sure you're not just hearing the fuel pump priming?

My car makes a number of different sounds. Hard to keep them all straight.
The car just needs to be powered on electrically. I don't need to be sitting in it. For example, the act of opening the door and inserting the key into the ignition (but not turning it), will cause it to happen. I can remove the key and shut the door and it will still happen until the car powers down to its off state.

It's not the fuel pump, the pops are coming from the engine bay area while the pump is in the fuel tank in front. And it would be the weirdest fuel pump sound I've ever heard

I think it's time to make an appointment with the dealer service department...
Old 01-29-2021, 04:20 PM
Porsche444
Rennlist Member

The car just needs to be powered on electrically. I don't need to be sitting in it. For example, the act of opening the door and inserting the key into the ignition (but not turning it), will cause it to happen. I can remove the key and shut the door and it will still happen until the car powers down to its off state.

It's not the fuel pump, the pops are coming from the engine bay area while the pump is in the fuel tank in front. And it would be the weirdest fuel pump sound I've ever heard

I think it's time to make an appointment with the dealer service department...
Mine makes clicking/ticking sounds sometimes for 5 minutes or more after I park the car. No engine light, car runs perfect, so it's totally normal, for me anyway.

And ya, it's coming from engine area as well
Old 01-29-2021, 04:26 PM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Received 833 Likes on 458 Posts

My Spyder and a friend's Spyder both make the ticking/clicking noises when you're near the car and engine is off (eg. after unlocking). Seems normal, whatever it is.
Old 01-29-2021, 04:26 PM
ski35off
Advanced

Originally Posted by Porsche444
Mine makes clicking/ticking sounds sometimes for 5 minutes or more after I park the car. No engine light, car runs perfect, so it's totally normal, for me anyway.

And ya, it's coming from engine area as well
Understood. I've owned many cars and some of them have made clicking/ticking noises after turning them off. The sound I'm hearing from our new GT4 is different than what I've experienced in the past - both in character and loudness, so that's why I'm asking you all to share your experiences. Since I need to bring the car in to the dealer for a little warranty work (the base trim on the wing uprights are coming up), I will ask them what they think. I'll let you know what they say.
Old 01-29-2021, 04:27 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Some of the after driving sounds are just the engine/exhaust cooling down, but I know the GT suspension de-tensioning sound is common as well, as it's been discussed here on RL many times.

The pre-drive sounds being described have to be something mechanical priming in some way. I sometimes get a clicking sound kinda like a clock ticking loudly once or twice.
Old 01-29-2021, 04:27 PM
ski35off
Advanced

Originally Posted by wizee
My Spyder and a friend's Spyder both make the ticking/clicking noises when you're near the car and engine is off (eg. after unlocking). Seems normal, whatever it is.
Thank you. Do you find the pops to be relatively loud? Different than any other car you've owned?

Quick Reply: Popping sound?