Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Dated? or Just Right?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2021, 11:44 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,377 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by lovetoturn
Everything is so digital now that they have even eliminated the AUX analog audio input for the car.
Not true. It depends on your option selection whether you have an AUX input or not.
Old 01-26-2021, 12:25 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,089 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
In the world according to me, it would be possible to turn it on and off in the same menu where the other locking/comfort entry options are located. (You'd probably want to turn it off at the track, for instance.) But I recognize that I'm the only one who ever thinks of these things.
Dude. I'm the guy that wants a manual 'flip' style rear view mirror because the electrochromatic mirror doesn't have a manual mode to force it to darken regardless of ambient illumination.

I'd be *totally* fine with a menu option to enable/disable automatic parking brake engagement.

Nope. 981s roll approximately half a block before the pawl stops them.

The Macan isn't quite that bad. But I still prefer that the vehicle doesn't move after I put it in, well, you know, Park.
Yup. You are correct. I always manually engage the e-brake on PDK when parked on any incline.

I don't find it annoying since the alternative - with today's lack of HMI engineering - would be a non-optional automatic e-brake engagement.

That whole interior was designed by people who take a bus to work.
Preach it brotha!

Old 01-26-2021, 11:15 AM
APEXHNTR
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by worf928
Dude. I'm the guy that wants a manual 'flip' style rear view mirror because the electrochromatic mirror doesn't have a manual mode to force it to darken regardless of ambient illumination.

I'd be *totally* fine with a menu option to enable/disable automatic parking brake engagement.

Yup. You are correct. I always manually engage the e-brake on PDK when parked on any incline.

I don't find it annoying since the alternative - with today's lack of HMI engineering - would be a non-optional automatic e-brake engagement.

Preach it brotha!
Similar take on the previous dashboard GT4 was hard to fault. Later bought 981 Spyder. Only 2 items that are missing 1. Manual hand brake & back up camera.
Old 01-26-2021, 11:20 AM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,719 Likes on 943 Posts

Originally Posted by 4MIDABLE
Only thing I would have liked to have is the "birds-eye" view when in reverse. I've just become used to it (in other vehicles) and it is a real curb rash saver! I get that this means a few more cameras on the car, but cameras are small enough nowadays that they aren't going to add too much weight. Rest of the interior is fine to me, I don't like the fully digital dashes, maybe b/c I'm 50 (old).
I agree... we have Surround View in our 2020 Macan and I feel it should be a mandatory standard feature for all Porsches. Make life so much easier. Click the button on the steering wheel and walla... helicopter view of your Porsche. Curbs are no longer and issue.
Old 01-26-2021, 11:33 AM
EYEHAVEYOU
Instructor

Received 85 Likes on 42 Posts

The only thing I dislike about the 718 interior is all the blank switches, looks so cheap. Otherwise I would agree it's "just right", before screens entirely take over!
Old 01-26-2021, 01:14 PM
t-design
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 293 Likes on 189 Posts

I'd say 981 was just right. Why or why they had to change vents to egg-shaped in 718? So it better reflects the shape of a head of the designer who did it???? Still can't get over it.

As for the buttons - yes, give us the real buttons please. The glassy panel in my Cayenne is terrible. You can not operate those buttons without looking at it, and even then you never sure if you pressed it or not
Cupdholders, Sunglass Holsters and more at T-Design9.com

The following users liked this post:
Noah Fect (01-26-2021)
Old 01-26-2021, 01:27 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,719 Likes on 943 Posts

Originally Posted by t-design
I'd say 981 was just right. Why or why they had to change vents to egg-shaped in 718? So it better reflects the shape of a head of the designer who did it???? Still can't get over it.

As for the buttons - yes, give us the real buttons please. The glassy panel in my Cayenne is terrible. You can not operate those buttons without looking at it, and even then you never sure if you pressed it or not
I actually prefer the round vents versus the 981's... With the 981 the Sport Chrono gauge was crammed between the vents. All very subjective things. I do agree on the stupid glossy black plastic and the PITA PCM buttonless crap.
FASTRKMAN (01-26-2021)
Old 01-26-2021, 03:17 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by APEXHNTR
2 items that are missing 1. Manual hand brake & back up camera.
Lever-operated parking/e-brake I agree with. Back-up camera not so much.

Originally Posted by n4v4nod
I agree... we have Surround View in our 2020 Macan and I feel it should be a mandatory standard feature for all Porsches.
Surround view is useful on the Macan. Not useful on the Sports Cars.

Park assist is 100% useless all of the time as implemented. The automatic backup camera is annoying most of the time.

On a low-to-the-ground sports car the only camera we need is the one we don’t have: front air dam cam.

That would be useful: rip out parking assist’s “speaker” (i.e. s/w mod) and replace it with [automatic | manual] operation of “bumper cam” when you’re within <configuration parameter> inches of something down low and at ‘parking’ speed or less.
Old 01-26-2021, 08:47 PM
lovetoturn
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,126 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
Not true. It depends on your option selection whether you have an AUX input or not.
Can you tell me where it is or which stereo option has it? My 2021 Bose has nothing in the glove box where they have been in the past. I would buy the the plug in wire and a new adaptor plate if that were an option. The Bose on my 981 has it in the glove box.
Old 01-26-2021, 08:56 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

There is ZERO reason not to have an AUX plug regardless of what other connection tech is on offer.
Alpha Ice (05-04-2021)
Old 01-26-2021, 08:57 PM
Jim Rockford
Burning Brakes

Received 493 Likes on 265 Posts

Can you tell me where it is or which stereo option has it? My 2021 Bose has nothing in the glove box where they have been in the past. I would buy the the plug in wire and a new adaptor plate if that were an option. The Bose on my 981 has it in the glove box.
Owner's manual shows it in the glove box lower left side. Says equipment dependent but no further details. So I guess if you have Bose and it doesn't have it that just leaves the base and the Burmester. Would be amusing if it's just the base setup that gets it. I hear you on the DAC.
Old 01-26-2021, 09:04 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,302 Likes on 887 Posts

Originally Posted by worf928
Park assist is 100% useless all of the time as implemented. The automatic backup camera is annoying most of the time. On a low-to-the-ground sports car the only camera we need is the one we don’t have: front air dam cam. That would be useful: rip out parking assist’s “speaker” (i.e. s/w mod) and replace it with [automatic | manual] operation of “bumper cam” when you’re within <configuration parameter> inches of something down low and at ‘parking’ speed or less.
That's pretty much how the current-generation Macan works. It's one of the aspects of the system that they actually did a great job on. The combination of Park Assist and Surround View lets me position the vehicle in my crowded garage with more-or-less millimetric precision. I programmed the diamond button to pull up the Surround View display, for those times when it doesn't activate automatically.

The camera quality should certainly be better, but it's hard to think of any operational problems with it. This system would be quite handy in the Boxster.

Last edited by Noah Fect; 01-26-2021 at 09:09 PM.
n4v4nod (01-27-2021)
Old 01-26-2021, 10:10 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
That's pretty much how the current-generation Macan works. It's one of the aspects of the system that they actually did a great job on.
Is that a glimmer of hope for future revs?

Park assist on my '21 718 is just annoying and useless.
Old 01-26-2021, 11:00 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,302 Likes on 887 Posts

Dunno. I'm pessimistic about the next Macan revision, which is why I bought mine last month. If I'm wrong, that'll be great.
Old 01-27-2021, 01:29 AM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,377 Likes on 836 Posts

I can only say that I have it with my base stereo. I think I read on here that if one has Carplay its also no longer in the car.

Quick Reply: Dated? or Just Right?