Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Texas Get Together Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2021, 09:17 PM
Phil T
Burning Brakes

Received 104 Likes on 76 Posts

I think I'm going to sit this one out and just head towards the sisters as originally planned with a couple of guys from the H-Town area. I'm definitely interested in linking up at some point so I'll subscribe to the thread in order to stay in touch......be safe guys......Phil
Old 01-09-2021, 10:05 PM
dmk2
Three Wheelin'

Received 763 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil T
I think I'm going to sit this one out and just head towards the sisters as originally planned with a couple of guys from the H-Town area. I'm definitely interested in linking up at some point so I'll subscribe to the thread in order to stay in touch......be safe guys......Phil
We are overdue Phil.
Old 01-09-2021, 11:50 PM
Phil T
Burning Brakes

Received 104 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by dmk2
We are overdue Phil.
We'll connect as Saturday approaches......Phil
Old 01-10-2021, 10:30 AM
rooster17
Pro

Received 595 Likes on 235 Posts

No worries Phil. Y’all enjoy the run and be safe as well!
Old 01-11-2021, 11:40 PM
wcw67
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 38 Posts

Rooster, what time and where are y'all meeting? If preferred could you PM me? I'm debating about heading up Sat am.
dmk2, are you and Phil heading out this way (SA, TXHC) area this weekend?
Old 01-12-2021, 12:15 AM
rooster17
Pro

Looking at meeting at the Walgreens north of lime creek rd (1505 W Whitestone Blvd,
Cedar Park) 830 start meeting. 900 am start the run. Txshaggy is looking at RTEs past lime creek and thinks meeting you in San Marcos makes more sense than Wimberly due to RTEs. Fine by me if you are good with meeting in SM vice W. Hoping to still throw something out for the next run at lunch. I’m not familiar with any of the good roads out here so looking forward to getting to know central TX’s best driving roads.

Last edited by rooster17; 01-12-2021 at 12:16 AM.
Old 01-12-2021, 12:24 AM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,762 Likes on 2,126 Posts

I’ll post up some recommendations on Wednesday. Busy with paint correction and ceramic.

Just thought terminating in SM vice Wimberley offered better parking/dining spots. Only a few places in Wimberley and parking is not good on weekends.

Going from LC to Wimberley via RR12 you never really leave ATX burbs.

Chris, understand you’re just meeting at end? Druthers?

Who is coming? From where? Limitations? Rooster know you’re coming from Temple.
Old 01-12-2021, 12:45 AM
rooster17
Pro

Rooster, RichSoulRacing, jdo_atx, Jarhead32, Austin718Spyder, and you is what I am currently tracking.

I am personally not looking to be gone all day. Half day run, meet and greet the group, and get another run thrown out for the group is what I am looking to get across the goal line.

I hope that others start throwing out runs in their respective areas. Options are good. With that, it is certainly easier to just throw out a start point and time with an approximate drive time to get these things coordinated. The whole public forum aspect of this makes it a bit of a pain to get this going. Totally worth it if we can get a group going though!
Old 01-12-2021, 08:16 AM
GusRandall
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

I got the car Friday, drove straight to Xpel and their staff immediately saw problems. Porsche delivered the car with paint issues (scuffs, scratches, and a lot of swirls like it was hastily polished) and a misaligned hood. So I dropped it back off at the dealer with like 30 bits of masking tape all over the car to mark areas of concern and they are doing 100% level 2 paint correction and told me that if Xpel finds anything they missed, to bill the dealer so they can pay for it. If the paint still doesn't come out then Porsche will be building me another car (dealer profferred that, I didn't have to say ask - I just told them that under no circumstances do I want any part of the car repainted because Gentian Blue is such a complicated color that I don't think it is possible to match it to the rest of the car and Aldo immediately said, no repainting - if color correction doesn't address it, Porsche will replace under warranty).

So I'm still a maybe - if the paint comes out, then Xpel will do a coat of track wrap for the ride. If it doesn't or I don't have time to get the wrap put on (chaos at work), then I'll have to come out to another one. The full, permanent wrap/ceramic will be started on 2/8 unless somebody ahead of me drops out and I can slide into an earlier slot. So still interested, just not able to commit. Will continue to monitor for details in case it works out.
Old 01-12-2021, 09:10 AM
dmk2
Three Wheelin'

We are headed up from Houston early Saturday morning. Will run the Sisters and likely head back the same day.

Old 01-12-2021, 10:34 AM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rooster17
Rooster, RichSoulRacing, jdo_atx, Jarhead32, Austin718Spyder, and you is what I am currently tracking.

I am personally not looking to be gone all day. Half day run, meet and greet the group, and get another run thrown out for the group is what I am looking to get across the goal line.

I hope that others start throwing out runs in their respective areas. Options are good. With that, it is certainly easier to just throw out a start point and time with an approximate drive time to get these things coordinated. The whole public forum aspect of this makes it a bit of a pain to get this going. Totally worth it if we can get a group going though!
Rooster,

I took a look at your original proposed route and looks ok getting out of ATX -- heading out as you proposed is the most interesting but despite the rural map look it's ATX subdivision heavy. This includes Dripping Springs to Wimberley on RR12 and anything east.

Perhaps look at turning west on Fitzhugh and toward Pedernales State Park -- myriad of choice to head south and then SE into Wimberley.

Wimberley is ok, not many dining choices in the town square and parking is limited --- usually crowded on the weekend. Alternatively you can continue down into San Marcos -- which should be quiet as college students aren't moving around that early. Lots of parking and choices like Crafthouse Kitchen and Tap. Also you're now adjacent to I35 for a quick exit -- alternatively head toward driftwood and out.

We are headed up from Houston early Saturday morning. Will run the Sisters and likely head back the same day.
Wow, that's ambitious. I'm outside of New Braunfels and running the sisters is an all day event and 250 miles for me.
Old 01-12-2021, 10:51 AM
dmk2
Three Wheelin'

I have made the Houston, Sisters, and back run about 4 times in the same day. Typically takes 14-16 hours. My kid will be joining this time so we may spend the night and comeback the next day.

Did an abbreviated version a couple weeks ago and we did it in 15 hours with long stops to eat and relax.

500-700 miles a day depending on route.
Old 01-12-2021, 10:59 AM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I have made the Houston, Sisters, and back run about 4 times in the same day. Typically takes 14-16 hours. My kid will be joining this time so we may spend the night and comeback the next day.

Did an abbreviated version a couple weeks ago and we did it in 15 hours with long stops to eat and relax.

500-700 miles a day depending on route.
Nice! Worth the trip; some of the very best driving roads in the US IMHO. Empty and sublime during the week.
Old 01-12-2021, 11:02 AM
dmk2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
Nice! Worth the trip; some of the very best driving roads in the US IMHO. Empty and sublime during the week.
Agreed!

I hope to make it to the Ozarks at some point.
Old 01-12-2021, 11:23 AM
dmk2
Three Wheelin'

Anyone have suggestions on a decent place to spend the night Saturday?

Safe parking and as few people as possible...

Quick Reply: Texas Get Together Thread