Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Cleaning and maintaining the convertible top

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2020, 02:08 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Received 1,804 Likes on 865 Posts
Default Cleaning and maintaining the convertible top

I guess this is something you Cayman folks don't need to think about but curious to know what you folks with the Boxster, BGTS 4.0 and Spyders are using to keep your tops free of lint, dust, and dirt especially when you go to fold the top down. This is our first convertible and I know I might get some flack for asking this but considering that my Spyder won't be a DD, it will be doing minimal driving through out the year so it will be spending some time in the garage collecting dust (unfortunately.) Since the compartment that the convertible top folds into (at least in the Spyder) is a felt lined space of sorts, are you using anything to "clean" off the top of lint, dust and dirt before you fold it down?

I saw some lint brushes at Costco this weekend and thought this might be something worth using. Anybody use lint brushes or do you have something else you recommend? Maybe some sort of horse hair brush?
The following users liked this post:
skeeter714 (12-21-2020)
Old 12-21-2020, 02:15 PM
skeeter714
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 65 Posts

Would love to see the replies on this as this is a question I didn't know that I also have. I have never owned a convertible soft top or hard.
Old 12-21-2020, 02:46 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,609 Likes on 2,347 Posts

Originally Posted by halfmonkey
I guess this is something you Cayman folks don't need to think about but curious to know what you folks with the Boxster, BGTS 4.0 and Spyders are using to keep your tops free of lint, dust, and dirt especially when you go to fold the top down. This is our first convertible and I know I might get some flack for asking this but considering that my Spyder won't be a DD, it will be doing minimal driving through out the year so it will be spending some time in the garage collecting dust (unfortunately.) Since the compartment that the convertible top folds into (at least in the Spyder) is a felt lined space of sorts, are you using anything to "clean" off the top of lint, dust and dirt before you fold it down?

I saw some lint brushes at Costco this weekend and thought this might be something worth using. Anybody use lint brushes or do you have something else you recommend? Maybe some sort of horse hair brush?
well in my experience with my '15 GTS Cabriolet I would suggest the following:

1) when parking the car in the garage, *always* put the top up, and use a car cover (keeps the fabric from creasing and getting dirty) ... also since the Spyders rear window is plastic keeps it in shape

2) use the Porsche cabriolet top protector:
Amazon Amazon

3) *NEVER* *EVER* scrub or brush the material, you will only cause the fabric to pill

4) you can use a lint *roller* or a vacuum cleaner to lift dust or larger dry particle - again though do not "scrub" if using a vacuum cleaner head...

5) if you have to wash the top (to remove bird poop etc) never scrub the top, use a low pressure stream of water to dissolve/remove the contaminant

6) never scrub the rear window, always use water/cleaner to remove any surface dirt, avoid any contact with the surface to avoid scratching it ...

hope this helps...

Last edited by Larry Cable; 12-21-2020 at 02:47 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by Larry Cable:
gr8ful4flat6 (06-22-2022), halfmonkey (12-21-2020), Magnetic K (09-11-2021), StilettoPat (06-24-2021), wizee (01-08-2021), xelu01 (05-24-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-21-2020, 04:47 PM
Cirrusly
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 26 Posts

RaggTop is the most popular convertible top cleaner / protectant. I've used both on a number of convertibles. Here's the kit on Amazon. From what I've read on other forums this is the same protectant that's private labeled by many of the car companies, and I believe one of them is Porsche. I'll buy a can of the Porsche protectant and compare them and report back. RaggTop recommends soft scrubbing with a horsehair brush (included in the kit) with the cleaner if necessary to remove any stubborn stains. If you keep to top protected with the protectant during normal washes you simply rinse it off. You do not use your normal car soap or wash it the way that you do the rest of the car.
featuring the founder of Raggtop who explains how to properly clean and protect your convertible top.

Page 71 of the 718 owner's manual covers the basics of caring for the convertible top. It says:
  • Brush off dust from the convertible top in the direction of the fabric lines using a soft brush
  • Only if there is heavy dirt, moisten the convertible top with lukewarm water and a washing shampoo and a convertible top cleaner and rub gently using a sponge or soft cloth
  • Rinse the washing shampoo and convertible top cleaner thoroughly off with clean water. Porsche recommends products from Porsche Tequipment.
  • Treat the convertible top cover with a convertible top care product after washing at least once a year. Do not allow the care product to come into contact with paint or glass. If contact with paint occurs, remove the product immediately.
This information can also be found in the Good to Know app, Functions in Detail, Mobility and Minor Repairs, Car Care, Cleaning the Convertible Top.

Last edited by Cirrusly; 12-21-2020 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Added Good To Know info.
The following 3 users liked this post by Cirrusly:
halfmonkey (12-21-2020), Magnetic K (09-11-2021), paddlefoot64 (01-09-2021)
Old 12-21-2020, 05:04 PM
Merlotsj
Racer

Received 330 Likes on 133 Posts

I use 303 Convertible Top Cleaner and Fabric Guard on my 2005 Boxster S about once per year to keep the top looking sharp, I probably will only use it on the Spyder every two years. I do NOT wash the top during regular car washes. My Boxster S is my daily driver, and stays outside of my garage. I will use a horse hair brush on occasion in the spring to remove pollen, I generally treat in the fall in California, and I drive top down unless it is raining pretty much. I talked to Moe at Glistening Perfection about the Spyder top when I talked to him about the work he is doing (full PPF and Ceramic] and he also recommended the 303 products.
The following 5 users liked this post by Merlotsj:
dashanin (04-25-2022), halfmonkey (12-21-2020), Magnetic K (09-11-2021), Mikey K (01-09-2021), Rupert16 (06-23-2022)
Old 12-21-2020, 06:02 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Received 1,804 Likes on 865 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
well in my experience with my '15 GTS Cabriolet I would suggest the following:

1) when parking the car in the garage, *always* put the top up, and use a car cover (keeps the fabric from creasing and getting dirty) ... also since the Spyders rear window is plastic keeps it in shape

2) use the Porsche cabriolet top protector: https://www.amazon.com/Porsche-Cabri.../dp/B008VY1IWQ

3) *NEVER* *EVER* scrub or brush the material, you will only cause the fabric to pill

4) you can use a lint *roller* or a vacuum cleaner to lift dust or larger dry particle - again though do not "scrub" if using a vacuum cleaner head...

5) if you have to wash the top (to remove bird poop etc) never scrub the top, use a low pressure stream of water to dissolve/remove the contaminant

6) never scrub the rear window, always use water/cleaner to remove any surface dirt, avoid any contact with the surface to avoid scratching it ...

hope this helps...
Originally Posted by Cirrusly
RaggTop is the most popular convertible top cleaner / protectant. I've used both on a number of convertibles. Here's the kit on Amazon. From what I've read on other forums this is the same protectant that's private labeled by many of the car companies, and I believe one of them is Porsche. I'll buy a can of the Porsche protectant and compare them and report back. RaggTop recommends soft scrubbing with a horsehair brush (included in the kit) with the cleaner if necessary to remove any stubborn stains. If you keep to top protected with the protectant during normal washes you simply rinse it off. You do not use your normal car soap or wash it the way that you do the rest of the car. Watch this YouTube Autogeek video featuring the founder of Raggtop who explains how to properly clean and protect your convertible top.

Page 71 of the 718 owner's manual covers the basics of caring for the convertible top. It says:
  • Brush off dust from the convertible top in the direction of the fabric lines using a soft brush
  • Only if there is heavy dirt, moisten the convertible top with lukewarm water and a washing shampoo and a convertible top cleaner and rub gently using a sponge or soft cloth
  • Rinse the washing shampoo and convertible top cleaner thoroughly off with clean water. Porsche recommends products from Porsche Tequipment.
  • Treat the convertible top cover with a convertible top care product after washing at least once a year. Do not allow the care product to come into contact with paint or glass. If contact with paint occurs, remove the product immediately.
This information can also be found in the Good to Know app, Functions in Detail, Mobility and Minor Repairs, Car Care, Cleaning the Convertible Top.
Originally Posted by Merlotsj
I use 303 Convertible Top Cleaner and Fabric Guard on my 2005 Boxster S about once per year to keep the top looking sharp, I probably will only use it on the Spyder every two years. I do NOT wash the top during regular car washes. My Boxster S is my daily driver, and stays outside of my garage. I will use a horse hair brush on occasion in the spring to remove pollen, I generally treat in the fall in California, and I drive top down unless it is raining pretty much. I talked to Moe at Glistening Perfection about the Spyder top when I talked to him about the work he is doing (full PPF and Ceramic] and he also recommended the 303 products.
Thanks a bunch for this information. Again, we've never owned a convertible so don't have any experience of how to properly maintain the top. For one, didn't know to NOT wash the top like the rest of the car. Good thing I asked. Looks like I'll need to do more research as I thought this would be a simple answer but seems there's more to maintaining the fabric top even when garaged.
Thad_Hawaii (01-01-2024)
Old 12-21-2020, 06:41 PM
rooster17
Pro

Received 595 Likes on 235 Posts

Thanks a bunch for this information. Again, we've never owned a convertible so don't have any experience of how to properly maintain the top. For one, didn't know to NOT wash the top like the rest of the car. Good thing I asked. Looks like I'll need to do more research as I thought this would be a simple answer but seems there's more to maintaining the fabric top even when garaged.
Glad you asked also. I washed the top like the rest of the car day one and was so proud of my freshly cleaned car. Little did I know.

So you literally don’t wash the top but once a yearish? Assuming you spray it off with water during car washes???

Already have the Raggtop products on order. I do recommend they update their 1990s quality product advertisement video though. Felt like I needed to watch an episode of Saved by the Bell afterwards.
SicEmBears (10-11-2022)
Old 12-21-2020, 07:43 PM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Received 1,096 Likes on 540 Posts

I use duct tape to pull dirt/lint off my top
Old 12-21-2020, 08:20 PM
Cirrusly
Instructor

Originally Posted by rooster17
Glad you asked also. I washed the top like the rest of the car day one and was so proud of my freshly cleaned car. Little did I know.

So you literally don’t wash the top but once a yearish? Assuming you spray it off with water during car washes???

Already have the Raggtop products on order. I do recommend they update their 1990s quality product advertisement video though. Felt like I needed to watch an episode of Saved by the Bell afterwards.
Basically yes. If whatever it is doesn't come off with just rinsing (which it almost always done if you have it protected properly), as the Porsche manual and the RaggTop instructions say, you can use a sponge or really soft brush to wash it gently. The Porsche manual specifically says "shampoo and cleaner" and the RaggTop cleaner of course just says use the cleaner. I RARELY have to do anything except rinse mine off, but I do keep them treated well. Bottom line if water isn't beading up on them like it it does on a waxed car it's time to clean it and treat it.

For me, with the car always in the garage and rarely up when I'm driving if the sun is out, I'd say on average that I put the protectant on once a year or so like the manual recommends.
The following 2 users liked this post by Cirrusly:
OldJedi (06-22-2022), rooster17 (12-21-2020)
Old 01-08-2021, 03:27 PM
Curvehound
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Cirrusly
Basically yes. If whatever it is doesn't come off with just rinsing (which it almost always done if you have it protected properly), as the Porsche manual and the RaggTop instructions say, you can use a sponge or really soft brush to wash it gently. The Porsche manual specifically says "shampoo and cleaner" and the RaggTop cleaner of course just says use the cleaner. I RARELY have to do anything except rinse mine off, but I do keep them treated well. Bottom line if water isn't beading up on them like it it does on a waxed car it's time to clean it and treat it.

For me, with the car always in the garage and rarely up when I'm driving if the sun is out, I'd say on average that I put the protectant on once a year or so like the manual recommends.
sorry, dumb question, but do people do the RaggTop sealant when they first get the car or does it come from the factory already with a protectant on it and you just need to do it once the initial protectant starts to wear off?
Old 01-08-2021, 03:31 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,721 Likes on 2,112 Posts

Originally Posted by Curvehound
sorry, dumb question, but do people do the RaggTop sealant when they first get the car or does it come from the factory already with a protectant on it and you just need to do it once the initial protectant starts to wear off?
It's protected from the factory --- will bead like crazy.
Thad_Hawaii (01-01-2024)
Old 01-08-2021, 03:33 PM
Curvehound
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
great, thanks. Now dont have to worry about rush shipping the RaggTop kit
Old 01-08-2021, 03:40 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,609 Likes on 2,347 Posts

Old 01-08-2021, 03:46 PM
Cirrusly
Instructor

Agreed. Just watch for it to stop beading water, and when it does treat it. Seems really well sealed from the factory.
Old 01-08-2021, 03:48 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 199 Likes on 119 Posts

I don't think you really need to worry about lint honestly. That's only an issue if you use a heavily linting towel to wipe it down.

1) Use Raggtop as needed to clean and maintain beading, this should be needed more than 1x or 2x a year.

2) Don't use harsh soaps otherwise on the softtop during your regular washes.

3) Use a waffle weave or other microfiber towel to gently wipe down or pat dry the softop after washes.

Quick Reply: Cleaning and maintaining the convertible top