Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Spyder coloring question: PTS British Racing Green or GT Silver

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2020 | 03:58 PM
Dr.JDK
Instructor

Default Spyder coloring question: PTS British Racing Green or GT Silver

Hello all,
This is actually my first post here. My fiancee and I are looking for a 718 Spyder. We test drove the 718 Boxster S and 992 911 C4S, and we absolutely love the handling of 718 much more than the 992. The 992 feels much more cumbersome especially in turning. 718 on the other hand, is much more agile and engaging with the roof down. The acceleration of the 992 did not impress us since we are moving on from the R35 "Gozilla".

Our first choice is PTS British Racing Green with Aurum wheels. The runner-up is the GT silver with red roof and silver wheels. We contacted the dealerships around a 5-hr driving radius and seems all of them do not have any allocations. From the communications with SAs and managers, it seems like even if we put a PTS order and it gets approved, we may need to wait up to 1 year or more to get the car. However, for the GT Silver, we may only need to wait for 6 months. It is quite a dilemma for us now: 1) get the second favorite color and have fun starting next summer, 2) get the favorite color but to wait for half a year more. On top of it, from what I was reading on the PTS Spyder ordering thread, the number of PTS orders for 982 spyder/gt4s are very limited.

I now have several questions that I hope some of you can shed some light on, 1) how realistic is my chance to get a PTS allocation? 2) where should I put my deposit down to order the car, does a premier dealer or exclusive manufacturer partner dealer has a higher chance of getting the PTS allocation?

Thanks so much in advance.

Last edited by Dr.JDK; 12-15-2020 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Parse the paragraphs for easier read
Old 12-15-2020 | 04:15 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

You technically don't need to limit your car to a 5 hour radius of dealers as you can take delivery at PEC Los Angeles or Atlanta and drive home from there if you're close enough. If you're not close, the PEC will also offer shipping to your home on your dime of course. Also, if you purchase out of state, you can ask for a courtesy transfer where the dealer you're purchasing from will transfer the car to your local dealer and you can pick up from there. The local dealer may charge you though so keep that in mind.

Now with that out of the way, getting PTS is like finding a unicorn. If your first choice is BRG, I would try to exhaust all options before settling. First thing to do is "finalize" your build so once you find a dealer that has access to a PTS allocation, you can put in your order and not make any changes. Any changes you make is an opportunity for delay or even cancelation/missing the PTS window.

I haven't been following the PTS window updates since I put in my order but I also haven't seen much activity talking about PTS on the forums so maybe not much to follow. I do know that Spyder PTS allocations are less than GT4. I thought the window of opportunity was going to close with April/May allocations so if this is something you're serious about, you need to jump on this like yesterday.

Don't let the dealer scare you with the wait. I've had my order in since July and I will wait because as my wife and I said, the color is the most important option for us. It's makes the car extra special for us and getting a back up color is just settling.

I don't think a "regular" dealer vs a an Exclusive dealer has more access to PTS or not. If your dealer has an allocation, ask them about putting in the order for PTS and just go from there. Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
UncleDude (01-28-2021)
Old 12-15-2020 | 04:32 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Maybe this will help?
View this post on Instagram
Old 12-15-2020 | 04:36 PM
Illusive991
Racer

Best of luck finding a PTS allocation; as noted above, it's probably going to be very difficult to find a PTS allocation at this stage, depending on how long the PTS availability window stays open. I'm assuming most if not all of them have been spoken for and there is likely a list of folks in line for the next opening. Best to contact as many dealers as you can and see if you get lucky, you never know!

BRG looks amazing on the Spyder BTW:

Last edited by Illusive991; 12-15-2020 at 04:37 PM.
Old 12-15-2020 | 05:13 PM
pyceasyas123
Advanced

GT silver is amazing - I have a GT silver spyder and the color in real life even surprised me. Its really nice IMO. That being said - try to get your first choice. I think if you don't and you settle, you'll always be thinking of what it would be like if you had gone for it.
Old 12-15-2020 | 05:47 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by Illusive991

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIzdVJMHuqk/

I thought I would hate that reading the description, but I have to say, that looks pretty epic.
Old 12-15-2020 | 06:51 PM
Dr.JDK
Instructor

Originally Posted by halfmonkey
You technically don't need to limit your car to a 5 hour radius of dealers as you can take delivery at PEC Los Angeles or Atlanta and drive home from there if you're close enough. If you're not close, the PEC will also offer shipping to your home on your dime of course. Also, if you purchase out of state, you can ask for a courtesy transfer where the dealer you're purchasing from will transfer the car to your local dealer and you can pick up from there. The local dealer may charge you though so keep that in mind.

Now with that out of the way, getting PTS is like finding a unicorn. If your first choice is BRG, I would try to exhaust all options before settling. First thing to do is "finalize" your build so once you find a dealer that has access to a PTS allocation, you can put in your order and not make any changes. Any changes you make is an opportunity for delay or even cancelation/missing the PTS window.

I haven't been following the PTS window updates since I put in my order but I also haven't seen much activity talking about PTS on the forums so maybe not much to follow. I do know that Spyder PTS allocations are less than GT4. I thought the window of opportunity was going to close with April/May allocations so if this is something you're serious about, you need to jump on this like yesterday.

Don't let the dealer scare you with the wait. I've had my order in since July and I will wait because as my wife and I said, the color is the most important option for us. It's makes the car extra special for us and getting a back up color is just settling.

I don't think a "regular" dealer vs a an Exclusive dealer has more access to PTS or not. If your dealer has an allocation, ask them about putting in the order for PTS and just go from there. Good luck.
Thanks so much for your super detailed reply. Kudos for creating the PTS database. I am actually following your recommendation and calling the dealers like no tomorrow : ) . So far no luck, but I am gonna keep trying.

So far the dealers are saying they may have new allocations coming in Q1 2021.
Old 12-15-2020 | 07:10 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dr.JDK
Thanks so much for your super detailed reply. Kudos for creating the PTS database. I am actually following your recommendation and calling the dealers like no tomorrow : ) . So far no luck, but I am gonna keep trying.

So far the dealers are saying they may have new allocations coming in Q1 2021.
I'd recommend taking the 1st allocation you get - PTS is notoriously complex and obscure
Boulder Mike (12-16-2020)
Old 12-15-2020 | 09:04 PM
Dr.JDK
Instructor

Originally Posted by n4v4nod
​​​​​I was first impressed by the photos on this
. Then I found the one you send and totally fall in love with the BRG. It is so beautiful that both my fiancee and I think it justifies the 13k price tag. We are now just hoping we could get an allocation. One of the dealers said they may have more allocations coming in at the end of the month. Fingers crossed.

Last edited by Dr.JDK; 12-15-2020 at 09:14 PM. Reason: added the quote
Old 12-15-2020 | 09:08 PM
Dr.JDK
Instructor

Originally Posted by Illusive991; [color=#222222
Best of luck finding a PTS allocation; as noted above, it's probably going to be very difficult to find a PTS allocation at this stage, depending on how long the PTS availability window stays open. I'm assuming most if not all of them have been spoken for and there is likely a list of folks in line for the next opening. Best to contact as many dealers as you can and see if you get lucky, you never know![/color]

Green and gold somehow go so well together. Another example is Rolex, like the gold Daytona with a green dial.

Last edited by Dr.JDK; 12-15-2020 at 09:13 PM. Reason: added the quote
Old 12-15-2020 | 09:17 PM
Dr.JDK
Instructor

Originally Posted by pyceasyas123
GT silver is amazing - I have a GT silver spyder and the color in real life even surprised me. Its really nice IMO. That being said - try to get your first choice. I think if you don't and you settle, you'll always be thinking of what it would be like if you had gone for it.
GT silver with that classic interior package is really stunning. I actually love the interior the most, but I don't think it will go well with the British Racing Green. If we couldn't get a PTS, then we just need to convince ourselves gt silver with a red roof and interior is a better combo.
Old 12-15-2020 | 09:19 PM
Dr.JDK
Instructor

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I'd recommend taking the 1st allocation you get - PTS is notoriously complex and obscure
Yeah absolutely. At this moment we will jump on any ship that has a vacancy : ). I read your story about your PTS order being messed up and it turned out to be a PTS order later. Has that PTS allocation been spoken for?
Old 12-15-2020 | 10:07 PM
Jim Rockford
Burning Brakes

Green and gold somehow go so well together. Another example is Rolex, like the gold Daytona with a green dial.
I would say some greens go well with gold. BRG is obviously in that category. I think it would do even better with black calipers. BRG mostly seems underwhelming as a PTS on other Porsche applications however the character of the Spyder really suits it well.
Old 12-15-2020 | 10:18 PM
ltfl09
Racer

Hello all,
This is actually my first post here. My fiancee and I are looking for a 718 Spyder. We test drove the 718 Boxster S and 992 911 C4S, and we absolutely love the handling of 718 much more than the 992. The 992 feels much more cumbersome especially in turning. 718 on the other hand, is much more agile and engaging with the roof down. The acceleration of the 992 did not impress us since we are moving on from the R35 "Gozilla".

Our first choice is PTS British Racing Green with Aurum wheels. The runner-up is the GT silver with red roof and silver wheels. We contacted the dealerships around a 5-hr driving radius and seems all of them do not have any allocations. From the communications with SAs and managers, it seems like even if we put a PTS order and it gets approved, we may need to wait up to 1 year or more to get the car. However, for the GT Silver, we may only need to wait for 6 months. It is quite a dilemma for us now: 1) get the second favorite color and have fun starting next summer, 2) get the favorite color but to wait for half a year more. On top of it, from what I was reading on the PTS Spyder ordering thread, the number of PTS orders for 982 spyder/gt4s are very limited.

I now have several questions that I hope some of you can shed some light on, 1) how realistic is my chance to get a PTS allocation? 2) where should I put my deposit down to order the car, does a premier dealer or exclusive manufacturer partner dealer has a higher chance of getting the PTS allocation?

Thanks so much in advance.
For GT Silver my dealer can get you it pretty quick. I signed my contract for my specced MB spyder in February - got it end of May/early June. Yes dealers DO MATTER because they sell more cars therefore getting more allocations and have more say. Give my SA a call at 201-926-0926. He's located at Manhattan Motorcars on 51st street in NYC, tell him Larry sent you and he'll take care of you. Ask him if you can get PTS.
Old 12-16-2020 | 04:25 AM
German_Saint 2.0
Intermediate

Speaking from experience I highly doubt you'll come across an available PTS build slot. There are too many things working against you imo. GT Silver is stunning and a bargain price as for years it was a $3k paint option and it sold well. You could get one with a classic spec rather quickly vs going off on a pts build.

In terms of PTS color that's an excellent choice- you have very good taste. If you find a slot might I suggest adding the CXX seats in tarpan brown leather (attached example)/ or bolder cognac w/ silver piping, silver stitching leather option and std $0 Silver wheels. As far as timeline that is a factor of production month and if the car doesn't have delays. I'd say end of 3rd qtr '21 almost a year.

Good luck!

Last edited by German_Saint 2.0; 12-16-2020 at 04:39 AM.
The Pinkoboe (12-17-2020)

Quick Reply: Spyder coloring question: PTS British Racing Green or GT Silver