Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Go BIG or go home

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2020, 04:03 PM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Received 1,096 Likes on 540 Posts
Default Go BIG or go home

So after taking a good look at all the varied exhaust options for our cars.....Albert Motorsport, Akrapovic, AWE-coming soon,BC Fabrications, Capristo, Cargraphic, Dundon, Fabspeed, JCR, Kline, Schmid, Soul, Supersprint.....(I am sure I missed something) I have decided that I am either going to do a full street legal system, or leave it stock. I am just not a half-*** type of person. So far, the most appealing solution for me appears to be from Cargraphic with their hi-flow catted headers, resonated OAP, and choice of rear mufflers. JCR also offers a nice complete set-up with the cats moved to the location of where the GPF usually is. Dundon does this also. I am not certain of the heat issues with the cat in this location, however, and whether the cats will warm up quickly enough to pass a readiness test for state inspection emissions testing. Just my opinion, of course, but just replacing the OAP feels half-***. Kinda like just buying lower springs when you should be getting coil-overs.

Last edited by VVG; 12-10-2020 at 04:06 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Rennolazine (12-11-2020)
Old 12-10-2020, 04:15 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 931 Posts

Depends on your goals.

If you only want more power, headers and a tune is all you need.

If you want a different sound, then obviously you can play with a number of combinations and exhaust pieces..

I think the biggest issue with the GO BIG option is drone and it being too obnoxious. If it's only a track car and your local track doesn't have sound restrictions, then this point is void, but if it is mostly a street car or you have DB restrictions on your local tracks, this is a bigger concern.

Last edited by TRZ06; 12-10-2020 at 04:17 PM.
Old 12-10-2020, 04:16 PM
c1pher
Rennlist Member

Received 785 Likes on 449 Posts

My perspective is different on the type of vehicle. When I owned GTI, 350z, Mustang etc, I definitely modded them. However, with this and my Targa costing over $100K each, I am hesitant to modify anything especially if I decide to sell later on down the road. And sure I can remove all that stuff, but really don't want to be dishonest a tell people my car hadn't been modded when it had. Now, I might consider the valve mod, but that will be after some period of time driving it first.
Old 12-10-2020, 04:24 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by c1pher
My perspective is different on the type of vehicle. When I owned GTI, 350z, Mustang etc, I definitely modded them. However, with this and my Targa costing over $100K each, I am hesitant to modify anything especially if I decide to sell later on down the road. And sure I can remove all that stuff, but really don't want to be dishonest a tell people my car hadn't been modded when it had. Now, I might consider the valve mod, but that will be after some period of time driving it first.
I tend to agree with this.

I have a Corsa Cat-back system on my SS 1LE now and it is loud and has a ton of pops and burbles and just sounds bad ***, but that fits the natural of the Camaro brand. It's not the most fun when cruising in 6th on the freeway either.

To me, I see the GT4 as a more sophisticated and refined sports car and having that obnoxious sound I have on my 1LE would not fit its character.

But that is just my opinion.
The following 2 users liked this post by TRZ06:
Haros (12-10-2020), thecreakster (12-10-2020)
Old 12-10-2020, 04:26 PM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Received 1,096 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by TRZ06
Depends on your goals.

If you only want more power, headers and a tune is all you need.

If you want a different sound, then obviously you can play with a number of combinations and exhaust pieces..

I think the biggest issue with the GO BIG option is drone and it being too obnoxious. If it's only a track car and your local track doesn't have sound restrictions, then this point is void, but if it is mostly a street car or you have DB restrictions on your local tracks, this is a bigger concern.
When I say "Go BIG", I don't mean max power and loudness. Getting power, and a better sophisticated sound without drone is exactly the reason I am looking at a full, comprehensive system.

The Cargraphic has catted headers in the stock location for power and ease of installation while staying emissions legal, as well as a RESONATED mid-pipe and a choice of mufflers depending on one's preference.

Last edited by VVG; 12-10-2020 at 04:30 PM.
Old 12-10-2020, 04:29 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by VVG
Getting power and better sound without drone is exactly the reason I am looking at a full system. The Cargraphic has catted headers in the stock location for power and ease of installation while staying emissions legal, as well as a RESONATED mid-pipe and a a choice of mufflers depending on one's preference.

I don't know enough to know if that would be a big issue or not in the GT4 with a full system. I just know with other manufacturers, when you go headers and a full system, even valved, you add A LOT more DB volume over stock and most will introduce some sort of drone that the OEM has filtered out.
Old 12-10-2020, 08:54 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

As a street car, I really don't see the benefit in spending a ton of money for a bit more power. This car is crazy fast up in the rev range already. The incremental delta in a street car is going to be almost meaningless if you ask me. I really encourage anyone who hasn't revved their car out to 8k and above 100mph through a sweeper, do so before spending a dime on any performance mod. The car is crazy fast and sounds amazing up there, not to mention how it hunkers down and sticks like it's on rails.

Sound is an entirely different matter, but, again, as a street car, ya gotta avoid the drone or it's just gonna get tiresome quick.
The following users liked this post:
Mark Dreyer (12-11-2020)
Old 12-10-2020, 11:44 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 113 Posts

Sound underwhelming rest more than fine for street car - I'd prefer shorter gear set but cost to satisfaction ratio not correct

Kill orp and different exhaust and enjoy
Old 12-10-2020, 11:47 PM
dmk2
Three Wheelin'

Received 763 Likes on 378 Posts

Sounds like you need a GT350, not a GT4
Old 12-11-2020, 12:03 AM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 113 Posts

Im a pcar guy for sports cars and suvs fords for trucks
Old 12-11-2020, 01:52 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,609 Likes on 2,347 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
As a street car, I really don't see the benefit in spending a ton of money for a bit more power. This car is crazy fast up in the rev range already. The incremental delta in a street car is going to be almost meaningless if you ask me. I really encourage anyone who hasn't revved their car out to 8k and above 100mph through a sweeper, do so before spending a dime on any performance mod. The car is crazy fast and sounds amazing up there, not to mention how it hunkers down and sticks like it's on rails.

Sound is an entirely different matter, but, again, as a street car, ya gotta avoid the drone or it's just gonna get tiresome quick.
I totally agree ... even on track most if not all Porsche GT cars are more than enough performance for most drivers ...
Old 12-11-2020, 05:48 AM
Ramon Vennik
Racer

Received 187 Likes on 107 Posts

I know the feeling, my 981BS with PSE and Soul Performance catless competition headers and a ECU tune, is fast enough, but certainly sounds faster than a 982 Spyder, but I ordered the Spyder anyway. My intention is not make it faster, but it's a nice to have when getting a proper sound to forget the 981BS howling (but I will keep that car anyway). Still no decision made whether replacing rear part exhaust (JCR, Fabspeed lightweight, or plain $3 vacuum hose plugging) in combination with catless headers and/or OPF Delete pipes.
Fact is, being in the EU and having monitored OPF pipes makes it harder.
Being faster is nice, but in Brussels (capital of my country) the maximum speed is set at 30 kmh (less than 20 mph) for next year https://www.brussels.be/brussels-30-...1-january-2021
Old 12-11-2020, 07:57 AM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 765 Likes on 452 Posts

Heres my 2c.
In my extensive experience with failing to achieve the desired exhaust sound in multiple former cars, Ive found that changing out the complete system usually left me the most satisfied. Whether you get the full monty from one manufacturer or mix n match parts. That said, sound tuning on this GT4 seems remarkably difficult because the stock muffler doesnt have to do any heavy lifting (due to dense cats and opf matrix). When uncorked it sounds pretty bad IMO. So the system should start with some type of rear section and build on that. The issue with mixing parts is sometimes they dont line up quite perfectly and they are not tuned to work with eachother.

Then there’s the power. This car has so much untapped power with exhaust de-restriction, its kind of unheard of. Almost a shame not to unleash it. The problem with this platform is theres so much plumbing and such confined spaces that it takes a ton of R&D and fab time to get it right. The prices are astronomical for this platform but I can see why. Also Porsche went ahead and changed the mounting system mid ‘Rona just to confuse everyone.
Old 12-11-2020, 08:29 AM
Ramon Vennik
Racer

Received 187 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
Heres my 2c.
In my extensive experience with failing to achieve the desired exhaust sound in multiple former cars, Ive found that changing out the complete system usually left me the most satisfied. Whether you get the full monty from one manufacturer or mix n match parts. That said, sound tuning on this GT4 seems remarkably difficult because the stock muffler doesnt have to do any heavy lifting (due to dense cats and opf matrix). When uncorked it sounds pretty bad IMO. So the system should start with some type of rear section and build on that. The issue with mixing parts is sometimes they dont line up quite perfectly and they are not tuned to work with eachother.

Then there’s the power. This car has so much untapped power with exhaust de-restriction, its kind of unheard of. Almost a shame not to unleash it. The problem with this platform is theres so much plumbing and such confined spaces that it takes a ton of R&D and fab time to get it right. The prices are astronomical for this platform but I can see why. Also Porsche went ahead and changed the mounting system mid ‘Rona just to confuse everyone.
I would opt for a full JCR set, but the price is quite steep. Furthermore you'll get a ****load of extra ponies (who needs them ?, they only cost me more money (petrol, fines, ... ;-)
Old 12-11-2020, 10:44 AM
lovetoturn
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,099 Likes on 537 Posts

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the Cargraphic OAP is just an empty can of a GPF to look stock. Is there really any perforated tubing and insulation inside of that thing. Anyone have a picture of the inside? Kline's OAP is what I would call resonated for sure.

Last edited by lovetoturn; 12-11-2020 at 10:45 AM.

Quick Reply: Go BIG or go home