Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Anyone daily driving their convertible in unfavorable weather states?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2020, 10:37 PM
markoware
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts

I remember seeing somewhere that the convertible top replacement options on older Boxsters wasn't too bad, either. It might have been a third party top. So even if the top looked shabby after a decade there should be options.

For my use case I was a bit torn between a GTS and Spyder. In the end since I was daily driving I wanted some options not available on the Spyder like ACC and keyless. I also know I'll be wanting to operate the top often, even during drives, so I ended up ordering the BGTS after test driving a 2019 and confirming there was nothing that felt weird about driving the soft top (was coming from a 991 coupe). I really wish I could have played with a Spyder top and driven one to see how different the top and ride were on the highway and around town, but that obviously wasn't an option. I feel like I took the safe option with the GTS but it will feel less special. On the other hand nothing will annoy me while commuting or running errands.
The following users liked this post:
Paiceyfan (12-09-2020)
Old 12-09-2020, 10:42 PM
markoware
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Aventure
I am picking up my new Boxster GTS 4.0 from dealer on Saturday and winter wheels go on immediately. Intend to drive this all year long (am in northeast) other than deep snow.

My wife had an Audi A5 convertible for years (which is not similar in any way tot the Porsche: just speaking to the convertible topic). Was never an issue. With the top up, it was easy to forget you were in a convertible.

I can post more on the Boxster once in hand....
I found my last RWD car with winter tires got around as well or better than my wife's FWD car and all-seasons. But deep snow would definitely be an issue for OP to consider. For me if the snow was that bad I don't necessarily have to go to the office so it was a non-factor. Maybe a different story if someone didn't have that flexibility. Even if the car could make it around I don't think I'd want to drive it on unplowed roads.
Old 12-09-2020, 10:46 PM
Aventure

Received 68 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by markoware
I found my last RWD car with winter tires got around as well or better than my wife's FWD car and all-seasons. But deep snow would definitely be an issue for OP to consider. For me if the snow was that bad I don't necessarily have to go to the office so it was a non-factor. Maybe a different story if someone didn't have that flexibility. Even if the car could make it around I don't think I'd want to drive it on unplowed roads.
Totally agree. Winter sport tires are not “snow tires”. Some will do fine even on packed snow at slow speeds, but I have other cars set up for the real snow storms, such as a Toyota 4Runner, which is the polar opposite of a Boxster!
Old 12-09-2020, 11:16 PM
c1pher
Rennlist Member

Received 809 Likes on 463 Posts

I never had a problem with my Boxster. The top is very well insulated. Switching to a Spyder with less insulation makes me wonder how well it will do but I ordered heated seats and steering wheels so hoping I will be just as toasty in the Winter.

Quick Reply: Anyone daily driving their convertible in unfavorable weather states?