Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Anyone daily driving their convertible in unfavorable weather states?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2020, 03:03 PM
Paiceyfan
Racer

Received 277 Likes on 140 Posts
Default Anyone daily driving their convertible in unfavorable weather states?

I am in line for Cayman GTS 4.0, but I love the convertibles, too...anyone daily driving their convertible and using them in states where the weather is not exactly ideal?
Old 12-09-2020, 04:23 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,866 Likes on 2,183 Posts

Keep the roof closed and get heated seats — which are epic BTW.

We just experienced an “arctic cold front” and no problems...think the high was around 50; lol.
The following users liked this post:
Paiceyfan (12-09-2020)
Old 12-09-2020, 04:29 PM
Paiceyfan
Racer

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
Keep the roof closed and get heated seats — which are epic BTW.

We just experienced an “arctic cold front” and no problems...think the high was around 50; lol.
I think I am more worried about rain, high winds and the constant barrage from the elements.
Old 12-09-2020, 04:32 PM
Poupon McArr
Racer

Received 131 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Paiceyfan
I think I am more worried about rain, high winds and the constant barrage from the elements.
Drive with the top up, you'll stay dry, warm, and safe from said elements.
Old 12-09-2020, 04:49 PM
buzzlulu
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Boxster GTS 4.0 being delivered to my dealer this week. I currently own a 2000 Boxster S which I have put away every winter for the past 20 years. I have decided I would like to drive and enjoy my new car. It will be going in for PPF and ceramic coating and will also have a set of OEM Porsche winter tires put on. I live in the Northeast and will be driving it as much as I can. Obviously when there is snow and salt on the ground the car will stay in the garage for a few days until the roads clear themselves off.
Paiceyfan (12-09-2020)
Old 12-09-2020, 04:54 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Perhaps a bit more maintenance for those conditions; but rest of vert/hardtop differences remain same regardless of outside conditions.

Get the Spyder/Boxster; you won’t regret it. I mean folks in the UK are getting the verts...and they have like 3 days annually where the pub garden is worth sitting in!

Last edited by TXshaggy; 12-09-2020 at 04:56 PM.
Old 12-09-2020, 04:58 PM
Paiceyfan
Racer

Do you think the soft-top will survive? I will garage the vehicle at night, but it will be in the parking lot at work and wherever else I go.
Old 12-09-2020, 06:08 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Survive, yes easy stuff. Clearly you’ll have to put a little extra maintenance effort into it...and during the winter that will bring it’s own challenges since you can’t just roll a Spyder through the local car wash.

Keep the top clean/protected and you’ll be fine. I mean these are engineered for EU conditions, right? No different from other Porsche cabs, just no insulation inside.

Last edited by TXshaggy; 12-09-2020 at 06:10 PM.
Old 12-09-2020, 06:21 PM
Paiceyfan
Racer

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
Survive, yes easy stuff. Clearly you’ll have to put a little extra maintenance effort into it...and during the winter that will bring it’s own challenges since you can’t just roll a Spyder through the local car wash.

Keep the top clean/protected and you’ll be fine. I mean these are engineered for EU conditions, right? No different from other Porsche cabs, just no insulation inside.
Thanks TXShaggy...I really appreciate your advice. I have seen very shoddy convertible soft tops in the past, but maybe they are more durable today...they should be!
Old 12-09-2020, 08:00 PM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Received 1,627 Likes on 684 Posts

I’d highly recommend a “Boxster Roof Cover.”
http://www.roadstersolutions.com/page19.html

I had one for my 981S and used it at my office where the car sat in the sun all day. Takes about 30 seconds to throw on. I had the car for 8 years and the top looked like new when I sold it. I also used Raggtopp every one or two years.
Paiceyfan (12-09-2020)
Old 12-09-2020, 08:18 PM
buzzlulu
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks TXShaggy...I really appreciate your advice. I have seen very shoddy convertible soft tops in the past, but maybe they are more durable today...they should be!
As previously mentioned I own a Boxster S from 2000 (debut year) and although I have not driven it in the winter I have had it out for 20 years from April-November - rain and sun. The top has also been up and down millions of times. The early year boxsters have plastic rear windows instead of glass. Just now, after 20 years of use, I am starting to see the beginnings of some deterioration. That is quite impressive if you ask me. Car has been bullet proof for 20 years.
Paiceyfan (12-09-2020)
Old 12-09-2020, 09:48 PM
palmpalm
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 66 Posts
Default I winter drive all my Porsches

I've winter driven two Porsche convertibles and 7 Porsches in total in Canadian winters and never had a problem. Drove my 718 spyder on snowy roads this morning without a problem.

Last edited by palmpalm; 12-10-2020 at 08:19 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by palmpalm:
mranderson (12-09-2020), phefner (12-09-2020), theEnd (12-09-2020)
Old 12-09-2020, 10:08 PM
markoware
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts

I think you'd be fine with a Boxster. Based on how many Wranglers I see driving around with tops that have probably never been removed I think people who crave top down driving are in the minority. I love top down but live in a four season area. I don't see many convertibles here, and almost never in the winter. I look at my incoming GTS as an experiment to confirm I'm right and everyone else around here is crazy in that with the top up I'm not going to really notice a difference outside of worse blind spots. What sold me on the idea was owning a current generation Z4 for a year (not as a daily driver). I only drove it 800 miles because my daily driver was way more fun to drive, but on one occasion I took it on a couple hour trip in decent rain. I didn't even think about being in a convertible vs coupe during the trip and it occurred to me that a Boxster or 911 Cab would likely be a reasonable daily driver. I'd also use the Z4 for short errands in the winter and it felt like any other hard top in the cold. My only prior experience was a brief ownership experience with a Miata (little insulation and not comfortable for daily) and my parent's 90's LeBaron convertible that was leaky, cold and pretty awful in the winter. Based on those experiences it had just never occurred to me that I could daily a convertible.
Paiceyfan (12-09-2020)
Old 12-09-2020, 10:25 PM
Paiceyfan
Racer

Just to give some perspective, I DD a 2014 Cayman S right now, so seats and other similar considerations are not a concern. Luggage space is surprisingly good. My issue is that I love the convertible look of the BGTS, and more so, the Spyder. At my price point, I have choices and the durability of the convertible is really the only thing that concerns me. I think you have all removed my fears from that angle, so now I have a larger problem...which do I get? 😄
Old 12-09-2020, 10:31 PM
Aventure

Received 68 Likes on 21 Posts

I am in line for Cayman GTS 4.0, but I love the convertibles, too...anyone daily driving their convertible and using them in states where the weather is not exactly ideal?
I am picking up my new Boxster GTS 4.0 from dealer on Saturday and winter wheels go on immediately. Intend to drive this all year long (am in northeast) other than deep snow.

My wife had an Audi A5 convertible for years (which is not similar in any way tot the Porsche: just speaking to the convertible topic). Was never an issue. With the top up, it was easy to forget you were in a convertible.

I can post more on the Boxster once in hand....
Paiceyfan (12-09-2020)

Quick Reply: Anyone daily driving their convertible in unfavorable weather states?