Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Spyder - Close Roof Procedures

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2020, 01:28 AM
prouse
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Spyder - Close Roof Procedures

I have been struggling to consistently close my roof. I am only getting about a 25% success rate. I have followed the procedures in the videos produced by Porsche and from the manual. https://www.google.com/search?q=pors...PG5gL0robwBQ10

- Insert the key in the ignition
- Pull the "top close" button on the center console
- The rear hatch pops open
- I fully open the rear hatch
- Lift the little flaps by the head rests
- Extend the top as far as it goes (about an inch or so from the windshield header)
- Release the two "wings" from their folded position
- Close the rear hatch
- Snap the two "wings" into place on the rear hatch

The final step is to pull the center console button to engage the center hook that clamps to the windshield. Only about 25% of the time does the hook attempt to engage. When it moves / engages, it never misses the spot. When it fails move, I am forced to fully open the top / close the rear hatch and repeat the process.

Any suggestions?
Old 12-08-2020, 01:37 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

With your right hand, pull the roof forward against the windshield and hold it there as you hit the close button on the console.

Edit: is the hook not moving at all sometimes when you press the close button? If so, there is a problem with it and you should take it to your dealer.

Last edited by Archimedes; 12-08-2020 at 01:39 AM.
Old 12-08-2020, 01:45 AM
DFW01TT
Burning Brakes

Received 531 Likes on 317 Posts

The leading edge of the top has to be really close to the edge of the windshield. There are 2 hand width pull tabs on the roof, use them to get the roof really close. If that doesn't work, take it to the dealer and let them demonstrate.
Old 12-08-2020, 02:08 AM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,697 Likes on 934 Posts

When you close the rear hatch don’t fully close it (engaging the latch mechanism) make that your last step. Did it with my 981 and I do it with my 982. Always works!
The following users liked this post:
DFW01TT (12-08-2020)
Old 12-08-2020, 06:21 AM
Thomas Roos
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 12-08-2020, 08:28 AM
mjw930
Rennlist Member

Received 378 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Thomas Roos
That only works outside of North America. The fob close option is not enabled here (don’t know where people on this thread are located.

To the OP, if the hook doesn’t move 75% of the time then something is wrong, take it to your dealer. It should move every time it’s commanded by the button.
Old 12-08-2020, 08:39 AM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,721 Likes on 2,112 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
With your right hand, pull the roof forward against the windshield and hold it there as you hit the close button on the console.
This. How long have you had your car? The roof up/down is very stiff the first dozen or so times. If it is not close enough to the header the latch won’t move. Simply use the two handhelds to move it closer while commanding it closed.
Old 12-08-2020, 10:47 AM
2XIPA
Burning Brakes

Received 316 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Thomas Roos
Hmm are any of these hacks apply to the US Spyders?
Old 12-08-2020, 11:02 AM
vince993tt
Instructor

Received 85 Likes on 45 Posts

I had the same problem at first with my 718 Spyder. The 718 operation differs a bit from the 981, which I didn't realize at first. I'm almost certain that your only problem is, as stated above, that you need to pull the front of the roof forward a bit using the handle before hitting the switch. If it isn't close enough, the motor won't close the latch, making it seem like there is a defective sensor, etc. In actuality, there is a sensor which needs to detect that the roof is very near the windshield header, and sometimes it seems to be close enough, but isn't quite there. This can make it appear random, which is confusing until you realize it. As for the decklid, you do not have to leave it only partially closed. Both my 981 and 718 tops latched just fine with the decklid fully closed first. In my opinion, partially closing the lid and then fully closing it after the top is fully latched is a nice to do, not a must do.
Old 12-08-2020, 11:47 AM
mjw930
Rennlist Member

Received 378 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by 2XIPA
It's not a "hack". it's a documented feature and no, it cannot be enabled for US spec cars, yet.
Old 12-08-2020, 12:25 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,696 Likes on 2,733 Posts

Originally Posted by vince993tt
I had the same problem at first with my 718 Spyder. The 718 operation differs a bit from the 981, which I didn't realize at first. I'm almost certain that your only problem is, as stated above, that you need to pull the front of the roof forward a bit using the handle before hitting the switch. If it isn't close enough, the motor won't close the latch, making it seem like there is a defective sensor, etc. In actuality, there is a sensor which needs to detect that the roof is very near the windshield header, and sometimes it seems to be close enough, but isn't quite there. This can make it appear random, which is confusing until you realize it. As for the decklid, you do not have to leave it only partially closed. Both my 981 and 718 tops latched just fine with the decklid fully closed first. In my opinion, partially closing the lid and then fully closing it after the top is fully latched is a nice to do, not a must do.

When the latch doesn't move during the close operation, this is likely the problem.
Old 12-08-2020, 12:52 PM
prouse
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Guys - thanks for the feedback. This has been going on for the past 2+ months (ever since i picked it up). I will try to pay special attention to how close the roof is to the windshield. As a note, i would try to pull the hook / push the roof as far closed as i could before pulling the close button. Only about 25% of the time did the motor / hook activate and attempt to fully close. I have never had an instance where the motor / hook activated but missed the receptacle / failed to catch and close.

I have tried it with the rear hatch fully closed and with it shut but just short of being latched. It didn't seem to make a difference either way.

She is now in hibernation for the Winter. Unfortunately, the nearest dealer a a couple of hours away. If it continues in the Spring, i will certainly have it inspected when i get the oil changed.
Old 12-08-2020, 12:56 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Received 1,804 Likes on 865 Posts

Originally Posted by 2XIPA
According to people in this thread, opening works in NA but not closing.

https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...l#post16948471
The following 2 users liked this post by halfmonkey:
2XIPA (12-08-2020), CDACH (12-08-2020)
Old 12-08-2020, 01:25 PM
s2kspyder
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
When the latch doesn't move during the close operation, this is likely the problem.
If I understand what you are saying, Westcoast is correct. The moment you use the close operation button, the center latch should move at all times. If it only moves 25% of the time, something is wrong and I would be pissed off.

What I have seen is the center latch will attempt to grab the windshield in a "less than perfect" fit, it that is the case, I back it off and try again.

I hope this makes sense.
Old 12-08-2020, 02:30 PM
mranderson
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by prouse
I have been struggling to consistently close my roof. I am only getting about a 25% success rate. I have followed the procedures in the videos produced by Porsche and from the manual. https://www.google.com/search?q=pors...PG5gL0robwBQ10

- Insert the key in the ignition
- Pull the "top close" button on the center console
- The rear hatch pops open
- I fully open the rear hatch
- Lift the little flaps by the head rests
- Extend the top as far as it goes (about an inch or so from the windshield header)
- Release the two "wings" from their folded position
- Close the rear hatch
- Snap the two "wings" into place on the rear hatch

The final step is to pull the center console button to engage the center hook that clamps to the windshield. Only about 25% of the time does the hook attempt to engage. When it moves / engages, it never misses the spot. When it fails move, I am forced to fully open the top / close the rear hatch and repeat the process.

Any suggestions?
I just got my Spyder and did notice the roof fabric is super stiff and took a lot of effort to use my hand to close the roof enough so the hook starts to attempt to engage.

Here is a revision to your step that will help in your step 8:

Close the rear hatch (but don't fully close it shut)
Snap the two "wings" into place on the rear hatch
Get back into the car and use your left hand to pull the fabric top forward as close to the window edge as possible while your right hand engages the CLOSE roof button
After it finishes closing, get back out of your car and close the trunk completely (click sound)

I find the above helps a bit as the tension isn't as great in the roof.

Quick Reply: Spyder - Close Roof Procedures