Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

i am in

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2020, 05:29 PM
Mercuriell
Burning Brakes

Received 490 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexCeres
this is why, ideally, one would test drive a few of the closely related models like the gts 4.0, gt4, spyder and maybe even a Carrera to make one's own judgement about which car is best suited to personal circumstances and common driving.
there are plenty of folks who switch between roof / no roof, or MT / PDK or even something like TTS and gt3. sometimes they learn more about what they didn't know they really wanted, and sometimes life forces a change in driving needs

anyway, the gt4 is awesome. flog it!
Had a ball at a Porsche Precision driving course - fairly uniform agreement among the 8 participants , including my wife, that the base 992 C2 outshone a C4S, Macan GTS, couple of 718s and a Panamera but the missus and I were very happy to drive the 2 hours home in our GT4 😎
The following users liked this post:
AlexCeres (10-13-2020)
Old 10-13-2020, 06:17 PM
Jonathan hughes
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by space man
i am new to the site. i just put down my deposit for a November build date. I am old and don't have many cars left in my life time. I never owned a mid engine so i am making that come true with my Gt 4. I also have never had a pdk car which i checked the box on. I am just shy of 65 all my current and other sports cars are or where manuals. I look forward to following the forum. if all goes well i will learn to track this car. This will be a fun car may drive it for long weekend trips so i ordered it a little comfortable. the dealer wanted a premium for a have it your way slot. i refused and got it for list price. i hope i did not get taken advantage of. 2021 gt-4 Miami blue, door handle high gloss, gt-4 logo high gloss, pdk, calipers high gloss, wheels satin black, pdls plus lighting, light design, power folding mirrors, auto dim mirrors rain sensor, adaptive sport seats, heated seats, luggage net, fire extinguisher, interior trim painted body color, MB seatbelts, Bose, apple play, floor mats, car due in January. I am a greatful man!
Congratulations on your new purchase. Apparently we now live much longer than our ancestors so you're about two thirds through your car driving life. That means plenty more years to enjoy your GT4. When you do eventually get too old to drive it stick I chair in front of it and just look at the beauty that you've bought.

What I would say about your spec is to add the smoking pack if you haven't. It gets rid of the hole in the center and cleans the look up.

There's a load of knowledgeably people on here that are more than happy to help you out.
Old 10-13-2020, 07:02 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 726 Likes on 439 Posts

Congrats on the new car! I really hope you will enjoy it!

Are you 100% set on getting PDK? You have plenty of 6 speed experience and the new car also offers rev matching to make life easier. The clutch is not really firm to cause much issues.

In regards HenryPcar's comment about GT4 only being a 'fit' to track enthusiasts with minimal spec, I disagree. We are mostly amateur drivers that speccing a couple extra options we want and adding 50 lbs to the car will not make any difference in track time. If you're getting more than half a second by adding or removing 50 lbs from your car, hats off to you sir! We all want our cars to be light from the factory naturally and sometimes spend thousands of dollars just to shave a few lbs. The reality is most of us cannot extract the true potential of these cars anyways, so why approach with that potential? If you're a pro driver, cannot own a trailer to tow your car, and want to push your car on DE events for the hell of it, I get what you say. For the rest of us, it's basically bragging rights. Paying the prices we are these days we should get to spec the cars however we like (unless it's a big clashing eye sore of a build, like a green car with red interior).
phefner (10-13-2020)
Old 10-13-2020, 07:10 PM
phefner
Rennlist Member

Received 708 Likes on 422 Posts

@sin911 Well said. I spec’d the Bose and damn glad I did. It’s a joy to blast some tunes driving to events. LOL, a 1/2 second saving 50lbs.

Go out and drive guys/gals. Life is too short.
Old 10-13-2020, 07:41 PM
Puggz
Pro

Received 236 Likes on 142 Posts

everyday above ground is a great day, regardless of your age. Enjoy in good health like we know you will...
Old 10-13-2020, 08:07 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,721 Likes on 2,112 Posts

Originally Posted by HenryPcar
My advice is that if your preference is for a sports car but with a bit of comforting options, then the GT4 is not for you. While the GT4 is a sports car, but it is more designed as a track car. Although Porsche is developing the GT4 loaded with options to attract more buyers, but the fundamental design of the GT4 is lightweight, mid-engine and emphasis on being more connected between the car and driver. In fact, if you go for any HPDE event you'll find a lot of GT4s that the owners elect very little options on it. Their pure preference is for the track with none of the luxury laden options that diminishes performance.
I nominate this post as *** hat comment of the day...from someone who doesn’t own a GT4 or has a clue.
Puggz (10-13-2020)
Old 10-13-2020, 08:09 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,609 Likes on 2,347 Posts

Originally Posted by fantom
I'm delighted to learn there's a 60+ Cayman/Boxster Owners Association.

Good luck with a beautiful, and very Miami Blue, GT4.
me2!
Old 10-13-2020, 08:16 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 134 Posts

space man, you're just getting started. I started racing an MGB in 1968. Had several Caymans and bought my first GT4 in 2016 and held the "Rennlist" track record at Watkins Glen in 2017 at age 73. Just bought a 2020 GT4.
UncleDude (10-13-2020)
Old 10-13-2020, 08:48 PM
space man
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Huston we have a problem

i am just home sitting down to eat it 15 minutes ago. It is my Porsche salesman saying my order was getting closed for build and that Miami Blue is now NOT AVAILBLE! is this possible? i did a google search found nothing and MB it is still up on order guide. if it is true it is Green ,yellow or the blue??? The salesman was leaving for an appointment and will call me in am. i am bewildered. Also thank you all for your welcoming comments.
Old 10-13-2020, 08:55 PM
phefner
Rennlist Member

Received 708 Likes on 422 Posts

The eventual loss of Miami Blue has been raised in some other threads. Sorry to hear your order is being fulfilled after the deadline.
Old 10-13-2020, 08:56 PM
OttawaSteve
Burning Brakes

Received 581 Likes on 314 Posts

MB is being discontinued, there are a few threads about it. I hadn't heard that the date had arrived, but your SA should know.
Old 10-13-2020, 08:56 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,609 Likes on 2,347 Posts

Originally Posted by space man
i am just home sitting down to eat it 15 minutes ago. It is my Porsche salesman saying my order was getting closed for build and that Miami Blue is now NOT AVAILBLE! is this possible? i did a google search found nothing and MB it is still up on order guide. if it is true it is Green ,yellow or the blue??? The salesman was leaving for an appointment and will call me in am. i am bewildered. Also thank you all for your welcoming comments.
Do you know when your allocation was due to be assembled (this is available to your SA on the internal order system)?

Miami Blue is being withdrawn from the color palette, but I believe it is available for ordering/production into December, as an example my allocation is fixed (V250) on 10/16 and enters production 10/30 and it is Miami Blue....

Last edited by Larry Cable; 10-13-2020 at 08:57 PM.
Jim Rockford (10-13-2020)
Old 10-13-2020, 09:30 PM
mjw930
Rennlist Member

Received 378 Likes on 209 Posts

Congrats, you have to be over the moon. I have a December build Spyder. This will be my 12th Porsche but only the 3rd one I’ve bought new and the first one I’ve ordered to spec, I’m pumped! This will be a long few months for both of us. I turn 63 in December and I’m not intending to slow down anytime soon, neither should you.

One word of advice from my SA that makes perfect sense, take all the $0 options that make sense, I think the only thing you missed were the smoking package and the net in the passenger footwell.

My Spyder will be a PDK and Yes, I’ve owned and raced manuals my entire adult life from the first 914 I bought in ‘78 while I was in college to autocross until 2015 when I bought the BGTS. It was a life changing moment, I’ll never go back on a modern sports car.

Don’t listen to the three peddle club, they are almost as bad as reformed smokers

Last edited by mjw930; 10-13-2020 at 09:35 PM.
Old 10-13-2020, 09:33 PM
space man
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 48 Posts

thanks i agree
Old 10-13-2020, 09:38 PM
mjw930
Rennlist Member

Received 378 Likes on 209 Posts

That sucks on the color, I’d go with Gentian Blue if I were inclined to go outside the grey palette colors. My last 4 Porsches were a shade of grey/silver, the Spyder is GT Silver.

Quick Reply: i am in