Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Saw first Spyder in the skin (very daily friendly clutch)

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2020, 11:02 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 727 Likes on 440 Posts
Default Saw first Spyder in the skin (very daily friendly clutch)

Went to the local dealership today to check out Gentian Blue as I've ordered my car without seeing the color in person (will complete production next week). As I parked on the sidewalk I noticed a GT Silver 718 Spyder sitting in there. This car looks amazing in person! Much sleeker than it looks in the pictures, looks super low, sharp and aggressive. The lines of the car look terrific! May be one of the best looking cars Porsche has built.

I did see a Panamera in Gentian Blue in the lot. Though it didn't fit the car's character, the color itself does look great and will be a good color on small coupes/convertibles in my opinion. There is certainly a purple hue in the color, the reflections had purple hue.

The sales rep was super friendly and let me sit in the car. I tried the clutch and it is super light and livable in a daily situation. Should not cause much issue even if stuck in rush hour traffic. I was worried due to my lower back hernia, it is causing some discomfort in my GT3 due to the heavy clutch.

Didn't get a chance to turn on the car and listen to the engine and exhaust, but how bad can it be? Really looking forward to taking delivery of the car
Old 10-10-2020, 11:13 PM
Jim Rockford
Burning Brakes

Received 493 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by sin911
Went to the local dealership today to check out Gentian Blue as I've ordered my car without seeing the color in person (will complete production next week). As I parked on the sidewalk I noticed a GT Silver 718 Spyder sitting in there. This car looks amazing in person! Much sleeker than it looks in the pictures, looks super low, sharp and aggressive. The lines of the car look terrific! May be one of the best looking cars Porsche has built.

I did see a Panamera in Gentian Blue in the lot. Though it didn't fit the car's character, the color itself does look great and will be a good color on small coupes/convertibles in my opinion. There is certainly a purple hue in the color, the reflections had purple hue.

The sales rep was super friendly and let me sit in the car. I tried the clutch and it is super light and livable in a daily situation. Should not cause much issue even if stuck in rush hour traffic. I was worried due to my lower back hernia, it is causing some discomfort in my GT3 due to the heavy clutch.

Didn't get a chance to turn on the car and listen to the engine and exhaust, but how bad can it be? Really looking forward to taking delivery of the car
I agree it is one of if not the best Porsche has built to date.

the ease of the clutch and overall the whole drive experience is very friendly. I wouldn’t hesitate to daily this car.

the exhaust is pretty bad... but if you are in North America there is a path to greatness. The fact that you have to spend more money on a 100k plus car is frustrating but understandable due to the impact of Euro rules and regs.

It is a very special car, and you will enjoy it, that much I can guarantee. Congrats on your build
Old 10-10-2020, 11:14 PM
Xisthos
Advanced

Received 62 Likes on 17 Posts

You’re right, the clutch is very soft and can totally be driven in less than ideal conditions. I actually find using it almost an afterthought as it doesn’t require that much effort.

I’m sure you’re looking forward to it, enjoy!
Old 10-11-2020, 09:23 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,359 Posts

Ah! ... the clutch in the 991.2 is "day and night" different than the one in either 997 generation GT3s... you would not believe the difference ... it was always a struggle for me in heavy traffic in the 997.2, the
991.2 is like there is no clutch in comparison!

Old 10-11-2020, 10:00 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,170 Likes on 2,169 Posts

Even the 991.2 GT3 clutch is super light. 997 GT3 clutch is heavy, although I have definitely gotten used to it over time.

Post some pics when you get it.
Old 10-11-2020, 06:49 PM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,297 Likes on 650 Posts

Thats good to hear... as another Angeleno considering a spyder we have to account for the occasional traffic. Even if its a weekend only toy.
Old 10-12-2020, 12:51 AM
PTSGT3
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 61 Posts

Very interested to hear your thoughts on 997.2 3 vs 718 Spyder when you get it
Old 10-13-2020, 09:07 AM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Received 1,126 Likes on 555 Posts

You can always add an aftermarket exhaust to any car to make it sound more aggressive. It is not so much that the sound is bad, it is more that the OEM flap control programming is a nuisance. When you are on the throttle and above 4000rpm, the sound is great.
Old 10-13-2020, 03:28 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

I find the GT4 clutch to be perfect. Not too light, not too firm.
Old 10-13-2020, 07:04 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Delete
Old 10-13-2020, 07:07 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by VVG
You can always add an aftermarket exhaust to any car to make it sound more aggressive. It is not so much that the sound is bad, it is more that the OEM flap control programming is a nuisance. When you are on the throttle and above 4000rpm, the sound is great.
I got Carnewal exhaust control module on my GT3 right now, it's (whatever is available for Spyder) one of the first things I will do to the car along with clear side markers.

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I find the GT4 clutch to be perfect. Not too light, not too firm.
Anything in comparison to a 997 GT3 clutch is 'light' lol! It was weighed good, you could definitely feel the clutch but it was not much of an effort to press it.

I had an e92 M3 years ago and the clutch on that was terribly light for an 'M' car, barely felt the damn pedal under my foot!
Old 10-14-2020, 06:53 AM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,704 Likes on 1,042 Posts

you’ll enjoy the long gearing

Quick Reply: Saw first Spyder in the skin (very daily friendly clutch)