Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Measuring for a lift. How high is a GT4?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2020 | 12:27 PM
gt3racerich
Racer

Default Measuring for a lift. How high is a GT4?

I think I am going to purchase a four post lift.
Could anyone please measure the height of their GT4? Pretty sure it will fit in the garage but want to check.
Thank you.
Old 10-05-2020 | 12:31 PM
skafia
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gt3racerich
I think I am going to purchase a four post lift.
Could anyone please measure the height of their GT4? Pretty sure it will fit in the garage but want to check.
Thank you.
Porsche specifies the body height as 50 inches.
Old 10-05-2020 | 12:41 PM
gt3racerich
Racer

Originally Posted by skafia
Porsche specifies the body height as 50 inches.
Thank you.
Old 10-05-2020 | 03:00 PM
Dyim
Drifting

I am trying to figure out the same thing.

Looking at Benpak and wonder if I should get folding mirrors. It should fit without folding. Might have to do a bit of garage renovation to get the door to go higher just in case I am not stacking 2 small cars in the future.
Old 10-06-2020 | 12:21 AM
MEM82
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dyim
I am trying to figure out the same thing.

Looking at Benpak and wonder if I should get folding mirrors. It should fit without folding. Might have to do a bit of garage renovation to get the door to go higher just in case I am not stacking 2 small cars in the future.
I just got the hd9 and no issues with the regular mirrors

. Just had the tracks put in. Love it!
The following users liked this post:
kj71109 (10-06-2020)
Old 10-06-2020 | 12:53 AM
Dyim
Drifting

Originally Posted by MEM82
I just got the hd9 and no issues with the regular mirrors

. Just had the tracks put in. Love it!
I think I have to go with the narrower ST. It is a full 10.5” narrower than the regular between the columns. That means I have 5” less space on either side than what you have. I need to give more room for my wife on the other side. We share one garage door.

Do you mind measuring how much room you have between extended mirror and column?

I assume no issue with standard ramp when driving up without scraping?

TIA.
Old 10-07-2020 | 09:32 AM
MEM82
Burning Brakes

I think I have to go with the narrower ST. It is a full 10.5” narrower than the regular between the columns. That means I have 5” less space on either side than what you have. I need to give more room for my wife on the other side. We share one garage door.

Do you mind measuring how much room you have between extended mirror and column?

I assume no issue with standard ramp when driving up without scraping?

TIA.
Hi dyim sorry for the delay. I will measure those.
For the standard ramp, I am not trying because I know I won't clear. I hear.some people back onto the ramp with success. I measured my approach angle and I'm somewhere around 5.7 degrees using the race ramp technique. (My car is lowered 10mm). Custom race ramps they won't make bc of covid unless it is a minimum charge of 1k. The bendpak specific model they have is 48 inch but I believe the angle is 6.3 degrees so that won't work. They have a 67 inch ramp for a trailer I plan to get. The angle is 4.3
https://www.raceramps.com/trailer/ramps/p/RR-TR-5/
I will get that and as someone said put wood In the step area and make sure to secure the wood and don't give it much gas going up the ramp otherwise the ramp will shoot backwards and it could get ugly. That seems to be the best choice for a ramp now for driving straight on from what my research shows
​​​​​
Old 10-07-2020 | 10:25 AM
phefner
Rennlist Member

The mirrors do fold manually.
Old 10-08-2020 | 08:10 AM
Dyim
Drifting

Originally Posted by MEM82
Hi dyim sorry for the delay. I will measure those.
For the standard ramp, I am not trying because I know I won't clear. I hear.some people back onto the ramp with success. I measured my approach angle and I'm somewhere around 5.7 degrees using the race ramp technique. (My car is lowered 10mm). Custom race ramps they won't make bc of covid unless it is a minimum charge of 1k. The bendpak specific model they have is 48 inch but I believe the angle is 6.3 degrees so that won't work. They have a 67 inch ramp for a trailer I plan to get. The angle is 4.3
https://www.raceramps.com/trailer/ramps/p/RR-TR-5/
I will get that and as someone said put wood In the step area and make sure to secure the wood and don't give it much gas going up the ramp otherwise the ramp will shoot backwards and it could get ugly. That seems to be the best choice for a ramp now for driving straight on from what my research shows
​​​​​
No hurry, my friend. Appreciate all your help.
I am getting a Spyder. So hopefully it will clear with standard ramp. Have to look into that.

Originally Posted by phefner
The mirrors do fold manually.
Yes I know. But it will be a whole lot easier to just press a button. Unless I make that part of the routine while playing with the top. Decisions, decisions...
Old 10-08-2020 | 12:30 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

No hurry, my friend. Appreciate all your help.
I am getting a Spyder. So hopefully it will clear with standard ramp. Have to look into that.

Yes I know. But it will be a whole lot easier to just press a button. Unless I make that part of the routine while playing with the top. Decisions, decisions...
With power folding mirror option they can be set to fold closed when the car is locked if that helps.
Old 10-08-2020 | 07:42 PM
Dyim
Drifting

Originally Posted by Westcoast
With power folding mirror option they can be set to fold closed when the car is locked if that helps.
Yes. But I am thinking I will might need them folded while driving in and backing out between the columns.

On one hand, I am thinking having the mirrors out will help me centre the car, with the risk of hitting the mirrors worse case scenario (easy replacement). On the other hand, mirrors folded give me more room; but any mishap can potentially mean body panel scratches. Obviously I am overthinking this. I should just order the folding option....

I had them before but never really used it. So just thinking of not getting it if there is enough space. Can’t find width with mirrors on Porsche Website.
Old 10-08-2020 | 08:18 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Yes. But I am thinking I will might need them folded while driving in and backing out between the columns.

On one hand, I am thinking having the mirrors out will help me centre the car, with the risk of hitting the mirrors worse case scenario (easy replacement). On the other hand, mirrors folded give me more room; but any mishap can potentially mean body panel scratches. Obviously I am overthinking this. I should just order the folding option....

I had them before but never really used it. So just thinking of not getting it if there is enough space. Can’t find width with mirrors on Porsche Website.
Ok, I see what you are getting at, so there is a button on the door console to power fold/unfold the mirrors at your discretion as well.

Overall with with mirrors out 78-1/4" and with them retracted 6" less so 72-1/4" (+/- 1/4" )

Even with them folded they protrude a few inches out from the door, just 3" a side less.

HTH
Old 10-09-2020 | 12:01 AM
its gt4
Advanced

Here's mine - Bendpak HD-9.

Garage is 10ft height.

Can fit a Macan and GT4 together.

Old 10-09-2020 | 10:55 AM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Assuming you are looking at a Bendpak:

Throw away the stock yellow steel ramps that come with it and and don't bother buying the aluminum ramps Bendpak sells either, they are way too short for any sports car.

You'll want to get these: https://www.raceramps.com/garage-ser...R-RACK-HN20-5/

Interestingly I still drag the splitter on my GT4 despite using the Raceramps above (GT4 at stock ride height). My GT3 which is almost 2" lower in the front goes on without dragging.

I had to get the RaceRamps Xtenders for the GT4 (RR-EX-PPS) to put on top of the other race ramps above to get the GT4 on easily (and I have not even lowered the GT4 yet!): https://www.raceramps.com/garage-ser...s/p/RR-EX-PPS/

You can also use blocks of wood, but that is a PITA.

Also if you are planning to get bridge jacks they will not clear under most sports cars. You will have to put 2x12's on the deck of the lift to get the car up higher to clear the bridge jacks. Or if you only get one bridge jack you can run it all the way forward as an alterative. I have 2 bridge jacks so have to do the 2x12s.

Last edited by Nickshu; 10-09-2020 at 11:01 AM.
Old 10-09-2020 | 08:10 PM
MEM82
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Nickshu
Assuming you are looking at a Bendpak:

Throw away the stock yellow steel ramps that come with it and and don't bother buying the aluminum ramps Bendpak sells either, they are way too short for any sports car.

You'll want to get these: https://www.raceramps.com/garage-ser...R-RACK-HN20-5/

Interestingly I still drag the splitter on my GT4 despite using the Raceramps above (GT4 at stock ride height). My GT3 which is almost 2" lower in the front goes on without dragging.

I had to get the RaceRamps Xtenders for the GT4 (RR-EX-PPS) to put on top of the other race ramps above to get the GT4 on easily (and I have not even lowered the GT4 yet!): https://www.raceramps.com/garage-ser...s/p/RR-EX-PPS/

You can also use blocks of wood, but that is a PITA.

Also if you are planning to get bridge jacks they will not clear under most sports cars. You will have to put 2x12's on the deck of the lift to get the car up higher to clear the bridge jacks. Or if you only get one bridge jack you can run it all the way forward as an alterative. I have 2 bridge jacks so have to do the 2x12s.
Thanks for the reply Nick! Good advice.
​​​​​​ I got off the phone with race ramps yesterday and discussed that I measured my approach angle below 6 degrees (car is lowered).

He recommended I skip getting custom ramps for the bendpak and just buy the trailer ramps 67". He said you can use the yellow steel ramps that came with the lift, and put the trailer ramps up to it and fill in that void with a block of wood . (someone else suggested that technique here). I was going to get the ramps you suggested the 48" hook ramp but the approach angle would force me to back it up onto the lift only..

I ordered the 67" ramps and giving that a shot we'll see how it goes

I see the extenders are 6.8 degrees and the ramps are 6.4? How would that work?

Last edited by MEM82; 10-09-2020 at 08:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Measuring for a lift. How high is a GT4?