Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Let's talk about cheap exhaust valve mod options!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2022 | 10:39 AM
CathalMacIarnain
Intermediate

Dumb question but if you wire the valves open permanently, does the PSE button do anything any more? If the valves are wired open, and you turn off PSE, is the exhaust quieter? My concern would be with the valves wired open that you are stuck with loud all the time (which I assume you are), with zero ability to lower the volume.
Old 06-22-2022 | 10:42 AM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CathalMacIarnain
Dumb question but if you wire the valves open permanently, does the PSE button do anything any more? If the valves are wired open, and you turn off PSE, is the exhaust quieter? My concern would be with the valves wired open that you are stuck with loud all the time (which I assume you are), with zero ability to lower the volume.
Yes, you are correct. Mechanically forcing the valves open through wires, collars, or other renders the PSE system inop. Open all the time.
Old 06-22-2022 | 11:13 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CathalMacIarnain
Another consideration when thinking about this question is that even with PSE set to quiet and with no collar/etc, the ECU will still open the valve at the higher RPM range to get adequate flow. So you'll be just as loud regardless of button setting when driving aggressively.

The yes the exhaust is louder at normal driving RPMs regardless of the button setting, but if you have the factory exhaust that really isn't terribly loud. I'm not a loud exhaust guy myself anymore, but I do like the richer exhaust sound in mid-RPMs the collar approach brings. I think that 95% of people will find the volume not improperly loud. If you have an aftermarket component in the exhaust then that may be a different thing.

To me the simplicity, cost, and effectiveness of the collar solution outweighed having to open the engine compartment to install other switching solutions and dealing with the remote switches for those. I'd used those on a couple of my earlier 911s and found I was just leaving them set to open almost all of the time anyway.
The following 2 users liked this post by StormRune:
981KMAN (06-22-2022), StilettoPat (06-22-2022)
Old 06-22-2022 | 12:30 PM
981KMAN
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by StormRune
.......... To me the simplicity, cost, and effectiveness of the collar solution outweighed having to open the engine compartment to install other switching solutions and dealing with the remote switches for those. I'd used those on a couple of my earlier 911s and found I was just leaving them set to open almost all of the time anyway.
And with the Collar Option, you can set the Exhaust Valves to whatever level of "Partial Open" you desire, it is adjustable! Thus you can get the desired volume level that you like.

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
........Mechanically forcing the valves open through wires, collars, or other renders the PSE system inop. Open all the time.
Well, not really..... With the Collar Option you can adjust the Exhaust Valve Closed Position, from Fully Closed to fully Open, depending on where you place the Collar on the shaft. Thus you do not have to fully disable the system, and can get the volume level you desire, and reduce the Mid-RPM Drone.

Last edited by 981KMAN; 06-22-2022 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Added Info
The following users liked this post:
StormRune (06-23-2022)
Old 06-22-2022 | 04:48 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 981KMAN
Well, not really..... With the Collar Option you can adjust the Exhaust Valve Closed Position, from Fully Closed to fully Open, depending on where you place the Collar on the shaft. Thus you do not have to fully disable the system, and can get the volume level you desire, and reduce the Mid-RPM Drone.
Well, yes. But the original question was in regards to “wiring the valves open” and relationship to PSE button.
Old 06-22-2022 | 07:10 PM
981KMAN
Rennlist Member

Well, yes. But the original question was in regards to “wiring the valves open” and relationship to PSE button.

Then why did you include the Collar Modification ("collars") in your reply if the question was regarding only "wiring the valves open"?

........Mechanically forcing the valves open through wires, collars, or other renders the PSE system inop. Open all the time.
I was simply pointing out that the Collar Mod is adjustable, and does not render the PSA system totally inoperable. or "Open all the time".

Old 06-22-2022 | 07:35 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Then why did you include the Collar Modification ("collars") in your reply if the question was regarding only "wiring the valves open"?

I was simply pointing out that the Collar Mod is adjustable, and does not render the PSA system totally inoperable. or "Open all the time".

Many have reported using collars vice wire to open as a cleaner install. Guess I also could have included the 6mm grub screw also…they all do the same thing.
Old 06-22-2022 | 11:01 PM
Syrome
6th Gear

I took the split collar approach that is mentioned in the pinned “popular reply,” however since the linked Amazon product was out of stock and most of the other options were measured in inches and not mm (!), I ended up ordering from Grainger at this link. 2 are needed. Installation was easy once I figured out the best angle to tighten from with the car on the ground. 5 minutes on/off now.

I did go ahead and order the Soul Valve Controller and Akra OAP, but good to have this (adjustable) option if people don’t want to go that route.

Last edited by Syrome; 06-22-2022 at 11:03 PM.
981KMAN (06-22-2022)
Old 06-22-2022 | 11:28 PM
Reedy
Burning Brakes

I said I was probably going to remove mine but I ended up leaving the collars on my car at a recent track day with my JCR silenced exhaust and am happy to report I passed the static noise test. Happy times.

I've grown to really like this mod with the JCR system. It might not be as dramatic a difference as with the OEM back box but it's good to have a bit more noise below 5000RPM and avoid the abrupt change in volume you get when they suddenly open at 5000. Drone levels are the same but its actually nicer to the ear as there is actually some volume to accompany the 2000RPM drone.
The following 2 users liked this post by Reedy:
jwr9152 (06-23-2022), Zoomzoom8 (06-23-2022)
Old 06-24-2022 | 07:57 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Just installed these collars and I'm satisfied with the result. Not perfect, but just a little bit of growl where there previously was none. Set mine at the 18mm recommended by someone here and I'll leave them there.

One installation tip I would offer is to use a piece of masking tape to keep the two pieces together on one side as you go to install the collar on the shaft. Keeps the parts aligned correctly, making the insertion of the first screw easier. Once that first screw is in a couple threads, the other goes in like butter.

I did have to try a few different orientations of the collar to prevent it from contacting the vacuum valve bolts since the rod pivots slightly and doesn't go straight into the valve as it is actuating. YMMV.

Last edited by SpyderSenseOC; 06-25-2022 at 05:12 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by SpyderSenseOC:
981KMAN (06-24-2022), StormRune (06-24-2022)
Old 06-25-2022 | 10:52 AM
greengobln
Instructor

Just installed these, it makes a good difference now I can't wait to put my OAP on
981KMAN (06-25-2022)
Old 06-25-2022 | 05:22 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Well, to be precise the presence of the collar does entirely prevent full closure so it is "open" all the time, albeit not fully open depending on where you set the collar.
Old 06-25-2022 | 10:58 PM
4S Leistung
Instructor

Collar mod good. OAP’s, game changer!
981KMAN (06-26-2022)
Old 06-26-2022 | 02:34 PM
981KMAN
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 4S Leistung
Collar mod good. OAP’s, game changer!
Would you please provide more detail? I was thinking the same, with just changing the OAP or gutting the Particle Filter on the OEM OAPs.

You color commentary would be appreciated. Thank you.

Old 07-01-2022 | 06:00 PM
lowbee
Rennlist Member

Picked up the car on Monday, only have time to put 100KM on the car so far, but I did the 10 minutes Collar Mode... real easy... Haven't driven it yet....dinner time.... but I am sure it will be awesome

I marked the open and close position with a blue marker. I think I positioned the collar at about 33% open all the time

Last edited by lowbee; 07-01-2022 at 06:02 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by lowbee:
downshifted (02-18-2024), slilley (07-02-2022)

Quick Reply: Let's talk about cheap exhaust valve mod options!