Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Spyder Race-Tex Steering Wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2020, 04:32 PM
Cmcdaniel993
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Spyder Race-Tex Steering Wheel?

Yes, I am probably overthinking this.

I'm close to submitting a build to order with the spyder classic interior package. I have never driven a car with race-tex / alcantara, but assume I prefer leather. I have no track aspirations for this car... only curves and canyons. My assumptions are that I prefer the feel of leather and that it is easier to clean, and more durable when it comes to food / oils / etc., but maybe that's wrong? ...No, I don't plan to eat in the car, but I do plan to keep the car for 20 years and travel, and I want it to remain nice.

Before I select leather, I thought I would ask if anyone selected a Race-tex steering wheel and was pleasantly surprised by the experience. Or maybe, it is what you would expect, and if you prefer leather, then go with leather.

Thanks! Chris
Old 09-26-2020, 04:48 PM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Received 833 Likes on 458 Posts

The biggest benefit of Alcantara/Race-Tex/Dinamica/faux-suede in my opinion is that your hands don't stick to the wheel even when they get hot and sweaty. The fuzziness can also feel quite nice (a matter of opinion though).

The disadvantage of the material compared to leather is that it tends to absorb hand gunk and get matted down over time. However, it's not too difficult to clean. On my previous AMG GT S, the "Dinamica" (Alcantara-like material, the Mercedes version of Race-Tex) steering wheel got matted down in the high touch areas by around 20k km. However, I was able to make it fuzzy and clean feeling like new with about two minutes of cleaning effort by scrubbing it with a microfibre towel dipped in warm soapy water, and it stayed good for thousands of kilometres after that until I traded it for my Spyder.

Altogether, while leather steering wheels are still less maintenance, alcantara wheels are pretty easy to clean and restore, and they have the benefit of not sticking to your hand when it gets sweaty. The fuzziness is just a matter of personal taste, though I like it.
The following users liked this post:
Mercuriell (09-27-2020)
Old 09-26-2020, 05:08 PM
Maxhouse97
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 26 Posts

Thanks Wizee, I was going to avoid Alcantara for that reason (getting matted down and dirty). Do others agree with the ease around cleaning?
Old 09-26-2020, 07:12 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxhouse97
Thanks Wizee, I was going to avoid Alcantara for that reason (getting matted down and dirty). Do others agree with the ease around cleaning?
I was curious about this, too. Also about any advantage of race-tex vs leather on the seating surface of the 2-way seats and comparison in terms of ease of maintenance and longevity.
Old 09-26-2020, 07:30 PM
AviBen
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 77 Posts

I've had alcantara (the predecessor to Porsche's race-tex) for several years on a couple of P-cars. I love it both for the grip and the look, and it's easy to keep clean.
Old 09-26-2020, 08:44 PM
Pokerhobo
Burning Brakes

Received 660 Likes on 344 Posts

Had leather in my previous 981 CGTS now I have Alcantara in my 718 GT4. I like both steering wheels for feel. I think the Alcantara with the 12 o'clock mark really fits the character of the GT4. The faux suede feels nice, but I am a bit worried about long term wear. Bought some driving gloves which I may start using, but also bought some Alcantara cleaner. Guess we'll see after several years. Leather would be the safe choice.
Old 09-26-2020, 08:53 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Anyone had any negative experiences with race-tex/alcantara on the wheel, shifter, seats -- as in "I had it once, and never again, because..."?
Old 09-26-2020, 09:04 PM
CaymanMatt
Racer

Received 165 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Cmcdaniel993

I'm close to submitting a build to order with the spyder classic interior package. I have never driven a car with race-tex / alcantara, but assume I prefer leather. I have no track aspirations for this car... only curves and canyons. My assumptions are that I prefer the feel of leather and that it is easier to clean, and more durable when it comes to food / oils / etc., but maybe that's wrong? ...No, I don't plan to eat in the car, but I do plan to keep the car for 20 years and travel, and I want it to remain nice.

Before I select leather, I thought I would ask if anyone selected a Race-tex steering wheel and was pleasantly surprised by the experience. Or maybe, it is what you would expect, and if you prefer leather, then go with leather.

Thanks! Chris
We have Alcantara. I didn't know what to expect as this was my first experience with it but am very happy with it 2+ years on.
Old 09-27-2020, 01:19 AM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,044 Likes on 559 Posts

Leather wheel can be quite hot to touch while sitting in the sun, could be a consideration for Spyder/ vert owners.

I think alcantara would be a bit better, hence I picked it.
Old 09-27-2020, 02:38 AM
Mercuriell
Burning Brakes

Received 491 Likes on 303 Posts

I was put off Alcantara by Nick Murray’s ranting but copped it on my GT4 steering wheel and have to say it has grown on me. I gave it a good soak of ScotchGuard when I bought it and make sure I have clean hands before a drive (Covid-safe &#129327 and it’s still pristine
Ramon Vennik (09-27-2020)
Old 09-27-2020, 05:03 AM
tthellott T
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

leather steering is common across all other Porsche models/variants, I would suggest you try Race-Tex or Alcantara to experience different designs.
BTW, wearing driving-gloves is a good habit if you like to keep everything clean & age nice over time
Ramon Vennik (09-27-2020)
Old 09-27-2020, 07:46 AM
Ramon Vennik
Racer

Received 189 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxhouse97
I had thesame thoughts but ordered the racetex/alcantara wheel just for grip. Replacing racetex because it’s worn or dirty is approx € 350. Shoulnd’t be a big deal if you buy these cars. Just like replacing a tire ...
Old 09-27-2020, 10:04 AM
Puggz
Pro

Received 236 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Cmcdaniel993

Thanks! Chris
Race Tek is a beautiful material but if I was buying a spider I would get the leather wheel. My GT4 has Race Tek but I wanted the red stripe at 12oclock. There is plenty of Race Tek in other areas of the car for you to enjoy
Old 09-27-2020, 10:58 AM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,719 Likes on 943 Posts

Pros of Race-tek:
-Better Grip if your hands are sweaty
-Cooler than Leather in sun
-Warmer than Leather in cold
-Easy to maintain
-Plus rooted in Race

I have had it in all 7 of my Spyders and will only option it. Also ordered it with our Macan with Alcantara seats. This go opted for the heated wheel for both the Spyder and Macan.

Most people simply opt for leather because they don’t like the visual of Race-tek. Which is fine and I appreciate the fact we have different tastes.

Old 09-27-2020, 11:10 AM
SnoBdrAK
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

I had leather on all my previous Porsche steering wheels, including a heavily tracked 991 GT3 and a 981 Spyder. Never once did I think, "wow, wish I had gotten the alcantara."

For the 718 GT4 I decided to try out the alcantara; mainly because I wanted the yellow tick mark on the wheel. And I thought maybe I was over estimating how much I liked leather more (since I'd only driven a handful of cars over the years with alcantara). My very first reactions when I received the car were quite negative. It has a stranger smell than leather (IMO), and I didn't particularly care for the hand feel. After the initial couple hundred miles (with probably a little bit of wear down on the fuzziness), I stopped really noticing how different it feels. Proving to myself that some of the major aversions I had initially were due to it just being different.

That all having been said, I still like the leather wheel better, and am about 50/50 as to whether getting the 12 o'clock tick mark was worth it to not get leather. And, if I was personally spec'ing another Spyder, I'd hands down be getting leather. I personally think the leather fits the character of the Spyder more, and the alcantara fits the GT4's character more (e.g. "because racecar").

Quick Reply: Spyder Race-Tex Steering Wheel?