Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

TheStraightPipes Spyder Review

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2020, 05:57 PM
Loess
Three Wheelin'

Received 178 Likes on 96 Posts

Every car magazine journalist gets paid to review cars. The biggest car advertising budget wins the car of the year. What would be the financial benefit for them to give a bad review when they could have just as well said how great it was. A poor review could only make it harder to get cars from Porsche in the future. Just as many people would have watched it either may so I don't think they are going for the people who hate Porsche views.

It's funny how people justify dismissing an opinion they don't like by saying the reviewer is bad or biased.

Positive review of car I like = they are a well informed intelligent hansom professional journalist
Negative review of car I like = poopy pants unprofessional biased reviewer
The following 9 users liked this post by Loess:
ajw45 (09-05-2020), AlexCeres (09-06-2020), Cmcdaniel993 (09-05-2020), Illusive991 (09-04-2020), JAhmed (09-04-2020), Racer20 (09-08-2020), Rennolazine (09-04-2020), The Pinkoboe (09-04-2020), Unframed (09-07-2020) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-04-2020, 06:53 PM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Received 1,126 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by Illusive991
They should have a GT4 review up soon too, but first up is the Spyder:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjBs...eStraightPipes
These guys just don't sound too intelligent to me
The following users liked this post:
JAhmed (09-04-2020)
Old 09-04-2020, 07:11 PM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Received 833 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by Loess
Every car magazine journalist gets paid to review cars. The biggest car advertising budget wins the car of the year. What would be the financial benefit for them to give a bad review when they could have just as well said how great it was. A poor review could only make it harder to get cars from Porsche in the future. Just as many people would have watched it either may so I don't think they are going for the people who hate Porsche views.

It's funny how people justify dismissing an opinion they don't like by saying the reviewer is bad or biased.

Positive review of car I like = they are a well informed intelligent hansom professional journalist
A positive review won't get the same level of engagement from the audience as a scathing review of a generally liked car. They get views and advertising revenue by stirring controversy. We won't be talking and arguing about this review much if it was positive.

I think it's fair to criticize the hipocrisy of the reviewers when it comes to their criticism of the gearing. They've reviewed plenty of cars that reach similar speeds in second gear without criticizing the gears, and many cars that are moving faster in second at the same RPM as the Spyder, again without critcizing the gearing. If you're just going to cruise at the speed limit, it's pointless to have the motor buzzing away near redline anyway. Fact is that almost every car will hit the 80 km/h speed limit in second gear, and most performance cars will hit it in very little time just as the Spyder does. Their review made a mountain out of a molehill to stir controversy, gain views, and generate engagement by making enthusiasts like us argue.
The following 2 users liked this post by wizee:
Christopher G (09-04-2020), TYPE911 (09-04-2020)
Old 09-04-2020, 07:33 PM
smilin
Rennlist Member

Received 387 Likes on 150 Posts

I have no interest in what they have to say, but I watched the video 3 times. Yup, GB is the right color for me. I’ve been bouncing back and forth between GB and THE CLASSIC GT Silver. So many Porsche’s in silver that I love, including my ‘98 986. I’d prefer Sapphire, or even something lighter (and metallic), but GB gets my vote (today). Car looks great in this video. 😃
ISPYA718 (09-04-2020)
Old 09-04-2020, 11:00 PM
GT4MF
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Loess

To be clear, I was specifically stating that as has been pointed out by a few people already, the reviewers came to two different conclusions in two separate reviews based on the similar result of reviving out a GT3 and GT4 and the respective gearing. End of story. My further comments on the perceived integrity of the journalist simply underline these incongruous statements. But as you seemingly acknowledge, making a judgement based on that FACT is an OPINION and obviously personal. And each to their own. So if my opinion is funny to you, then great, as I would rather that than upset or annoy. Have a blessed day.

Old 09-05-2020, 12:38 AM
Jim Rockford
Burning Brakes

Received 493 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by wizee
I would say their comments about the gearing “ruining the experience” are hyperbolic. The exhaust flaps open at 3700 RPM (not 4000) above first gear, which equates to 63 km/h in second gear. I’m usually above that speed on back roads (where the posted speed limit is typically 80 km/h). Typically I’m around 85-90 km/h (5000-5300 RPM in second) which is right in the power band. Second gear tops out at 136 km/h which is a little quicker than the quickest I ever go on back roads, and great for highway merging and passing. On back roads, I’m usually switching between second for going in and out of corners, and third for lowering the RPM while cruising down straights.

Would it be nice to have a gear in between first and second (say topping out at 110 km/h) or a slightly taller first gear? I’d say yes, for 50 km/h corners where first is too short to make sense downshifting, and second is still out of its power band. However, this doesn’t even remotely “ruin the experience” in my opinion. Corners that need to be taken below 60 km/h are fairly rare in Ontario (where I and the reviewers are) anyway.
you’ve actually found corners in southern Ontario?!

do tell
Old 09-05-2020, 01:06 AM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Received 833 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Rockford
you’ve actually found corners in southern Ontario?!

do tell
Haha, the roads around Waterloo are mostly flat, straight, and boring, though some local roads make right angle turns while maintaining the 80 km/h speed limit. There are some fun roads in the Muskoka area, some fun roads north of Orangeville, and some fun roads along the coast of Lake Erie (eg. Front Road west of Port Dover).
Old 09-05-2020, 11:33 AM
CarAholic
Rennlist Member

Received 198 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by JAhmed
991.2 6MT GT3 hits 82 mph at redline in 2nd. These dudes had no issue wringing it out through multiple gears for that car
Thought 991.2 was 78 at top of second and that's with an extra 1,000revs. I am surprised about how many people are surprised at this as every single review of the car has had the same impression on the gearing. Did they highlight it more then others, sure compared to some. This is also their opinion on it and it could ruin the car for them. Personally for me it ended up being a dealbreaker for my 981 after 20k + miles. Exact reason why I held off from buying a 2020 and instead waited for the PDK release. To some it may not bother them at all but to others it does. Don't see why so many people are getting worked up over their opinion. If the gearing doesn't bother you that's great why should what they say affect you.
sullic (09-12-2020)
Old 09-05-2020, 12:25 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
15 min about why the gearing sucks was pretty lame to be honest. Expected more from them but i think they just werent into the package. The beard guy is gonna like the gt4 more because hes a hooligan. Lol
+1
Old 09-05-2020, 01:35 PM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Received 1,285 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by VVG
These guys just don't sound too intelligent to me
They cater to a Millennial audience, per their own admission, hence the focus on certain aspects of a given car less important to "car enthusiasts" (box test, visor test, Apple car play). Given their higher subscriber and revenue numbers than more veteran and insightful reviewers, they are apparently doing something right.
The following 2 users liked this post by colnagoG60:
Jim Rockford (09-05-2020), Juggy (09-05-2020)
Old 09-05-2020, 02:00 PM
JAhmed
Drifting

Received 1,901 Likes on 792 Posts

Originally Posted by CarAholic
Thought 991.2 was 78 at top of second and that's with an extra 1,000revs. I am surprised about how many people are surprised at this as every single review of the car has had the same impression on the gearing. Did they highlight it more then others, sure compared to some. This is also their opinion on it and it could ruin the car for them. Personally for me it ended up being a dealbreaker for my 981 after 20k + miles. Exact reason why I held off from buying a 2020 and instead waited for the PDK release. To some it may not bother them at all but to others it does. Don't see why so many people are getting worked up over their opinion. If the gearing doesn't bother you that's great why should what they say affect you.
A PDK 991.2 GT3 hits 77ish at redline in 2nd
A 6MT 991.2 GT3 hits 82ish at redline in 2nd
Old 09-05-2020, 02:29 PM
skeeter714
Instructor

Received 140 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by colnagoG60
They cater to a Millennial audience, per their own admission, hence the focus on certain aspects of a given car less important to "car enthusiasts" (box test, visor test, Apple car play). Given their higher subscriber and revenue numbers than more veteran and insightful reviewers, they are apparently doing something right.
*zoomer audience
Old 09-06-2020, 11:31 AM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 781 Likes on 454 Posts

You still cant legally hit redline in second gear even with the pdk. This whole review was just stupid. I watched their 718 boxster gts (2.5L 4 banger) and the little nerdy guy was skeeting all over his pants he loved it so much, even with the same gear ratios. They were drinking the matt farah kool aid. Honestly Porsche deserve the hater comments for literally not even trying and then admitting they "messed up" with using the same gearbox. Im waiting for them to do something silly and make a modified longer gear ratio pdk just to justify their original decision LOL
The following 3 users liked this post by Rennolazine:
AlexCeres (09-06-2020), GT4MF (09-06-2020), ISPYA718 (09-06-2020)
Old 09-06-2020, 12:29 PM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Received 1,285 Likes on 805 Posts

It's not just the long gearing for some people who have an issue, myself included, but the gearing, along with the torque curve, and narrow power band of the NA motors that make acceleration less than desired. The 4cyl. GTS provides a better "experience". 718 seems to get through the gears a little better than previous gen, but I'd like to see a 718 4cyl vs GT4 go at it for comparison.
CaymanMatt (09-06-2020)
Old 09-06-2020, 01:37 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 781 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by colnagoG60
It's not just the long gearing for some people who have an issue, myself included, but the gearing, along with the torque curve, and narrow power band of the NA motors that make acceleration less than desired. The 4cyl. GTS provides a better "experience". 718 seems to get through the gears a little better than previous gen, but I'd like to see a 718 4cyl vs GT4 go at it for comparison.
I get it. the turbos make it so that if youre just tooling around in second or third you can just slam the gas and 1 second later you get a swell of torque and dont need to downshift. But by the same token you can just downshift with the NA car to second or first. Its the same torque. Just at different spots. The high end on the NA cars is “harder” to access in high gears but 1st and 2nd are still quite violent if you smash the revs. Just smoother. The manual in a turbo car gives that forewards and backwards jolt with the boost cut. Im never getting a turbocharged car again without an automatic for that reason. The handling/steering differences are the main benefits across the trim levels not the tq, which can be controlled by driving style
AlexCeres (09-06-2020)

Quick Reply: TheStraightPipes Spyder Review