Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

My Car Is Still At The Dealership!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2020, 11:59 AM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Received 1,804 Likes on 865 Posts

This seems odd and I'd be skeptical. I would suggest popping in for a surprise visit and request to see your car. I believe if there is damage under $500, they don't have to report it and can fix it without you knowing.
Old 09-01-2020, 12:01 PM
pettelli
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 76 Posts

My car arrived in the morning, I visited it in person that afternoon and it was ready for pick up at noon the following day. Something doesn’t add up. Especially for a car that’s already “sold”. No work for them.
Old 09-01-2020, 01:47 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Makes no sense. They should have wanted to close the sale before the end of the month. I'd be over there looking at the car and making sure that it's not damaged and being repaired while you're waiting.
The following 3 users liked this post by Archimedes:
911F1 (09-01-2020), JAhmed (09-01-2020), JPMD (09-01-2020)
Old 09-01-2020, 02:38 PM
Gorro47
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Take a car detail guy with you, thank me later. Ask me how i know....
I made 4 trips to my porsche center before picking up one of my cars... if we buy new i want it perfect...

Im not a ocd person but even a crack headlight they tried to pass by me...
I always bring a person from a detail shop, they can see some real xit...

Best regards
Old 09-01-2020, 02:49 PM
moshiden
AutoX

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the advice guys. Still no news as if today. Manager is looking into and hopefully I could get it tmr
Old 09-01-2020, 02:53 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Where are you located?
Old 09-01-2020, 03:07 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Received 1,883 Likes on 786 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Makes no sense. They should have wanted to close the sale before the end of the month. I'd be over there looking at the car and making sure that it's not damaged and being repaired while you're waiting.
Agreed. Would hate to freak the OP out but the dealer's behavior makes no sense...unless the car is damaged...
Old 09-01-2020, 03:08 PM
4MIDABLE
Racer

Received 327 Likes on 152 Posts

Everyone quick to jump to conclusions here I think.

My car arrived at the dealership Thursday July 9th. Car picked up from dealership Friday July 31. Granted there was a week needed/added to install the cage and some other stuff, but the dealer took delivery of 30 sold cars the same week as mine came in (COVID backlog). Nowadays, dealing with additional security/safety measures for staff, means things take a bit longer. I was in contact every couple of days, and I had my PPF guy also look over the car and do paint correction before applying the film, no issues noted. People always assume the worst "They sold it to someone else! They scratched it! They delivered a baby in the passenger seat!"...take it down a notch.

Contact them - ask to visit if you haven't seen the car already and ask if there is a legitimate reason they haven't put it through PDI as yet.

FWIW, my car was held in the back inventory lot (still wrapped in plastic) for almost two weeks while i waited my "turn"...I know this because I drove by every couple of days to see if they moved it. Once it was moved they called me the next day to say it was being worked on.
Old 09-01-2020, 03:44 PM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by 4MIDABLE

... People always assume the worst "They sold it to someone else! They scratched it! They delivered a baby in the passenger seat!"...take it down a notch.

WHAT? What you mentioned has now got the fellow even more worried!

Lol... you are of course correct. One tends to overreact. OP, from me, apologies if my post got your blood pressure up.

Then again...

do {
pullhairoutandbitenail(s);
} while( friggingcarnotinmygarage );

The following 2 users liked this post by Haku:
4MIDABLE (09-01-2020), JAhmed (09-01-2020)
Old 09-01-2020, 03:54 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 4MIDABLE

My car arrived at the dealership Thursday July 9th. Car picked up from dealership Friday July 31. Granted there was a week needed/added to install the cage and some other stuff, but the dealer took delivery of 30 sold cars the same week as mine came in (COVID backlog). Nowadays, dealing with additional security/safety measures for staff, means things take a bit longer. I was in contact every couple of days, and I had my PPF guy also look over the car and do paint correction before applying the film, no issues noted. People always assume the worst "They sold it to someone else! They scratched it! They delivered a baby in the passenger seat!"...take it down a notch.

Contact them - ask to visit if you haven't seen the car already and ask if there is a legitimate reason they haven't put it through PDI as yet.

FWIW, my car was held in the back inventory lot (still wrapped in plastic) for almost two weeks while i waited my "turn"...I know this because I drove by every couple of days to see if they moved it. Once it was moved they called me the next day to say it was being worked on.
So you're saying there is a chance the OP's car is currently ablaze?
The following 3 users liked this post by JAhmed:
4MIDABLE (09-01-2020), Foggy916 (09-01-2020), The Pinkoboe (09-01-2020)
Old 09-01-2020, 04:13 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Received 1,804 Likes on 865 Posts

Originally Posted by moshiden
Thanks for the advice guys. Still no news as if today. Manager is looking into and hopefully I could get it tmr
Is the dealer a long drive from your house? Instead of waiting for his call back, why not just drive by to have a look?
Old 09-01-2020, 04:31 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 662 Likes on 357 Posts

That would be the last car I buy at that dealer. When I ordered my 981 Spyder a few years ago, my SA kept me abreast of every step in the journey across the ocean, and once the car arrived I took delivery that day or the next if memory serves.
Old 09-01-2020, 04:41 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by halfmonkey
Is the dealer a long drive from your house? Instead of waiting for his call back, why not just drive by to have a look?
This is what I would do. I also enjoy showing up at the dealer principals home, family occasions, doctors appointments etc.
The following users liked this post:
The Pinkoboe (09-01-2020)
Old 09-01-2020, 05:00 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,721 Likes on 2,112 Posts

Originally Posted by moshiden
Pretty sure the manager at my dealership would know the status of a 718 4.0 that's been sitting around the dealership for over a week.

Personally I'm watching it come off the truck and expect PDI to take no more than 1-2 days.

Good luck OP; as stated I hope we're all over-reacting.
Old 09-01-2020, 06:17 PM
Jonathan hughes
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 20 Posts

I use a guy for paint less removal to get small dents out from people opening their doors into mine. While talking to him he tells me that he's in dealerships every week fixing brand new cars that have been marked. I'm sure they don't leave a metre around them on the ships. They tighten the gaps between them and get a few more on the ship probably. As everyone has said pop down asap unannounced and ask to see the car. If the problem is paint less dent removal then it looks as good as new if the guy knows what he's doing. I still wouldn't be happy and would want some sort of compensation though. You just don't want it being any more than that. If they refuse you seeing it I would kick off and demand as they are probably hiding something. If you see it still wrapped up and everything is fine then it probably hasn't been worked on. They won't refit the transport plastics after taking them off. If they haven't PDI'ed it they should still be on. Hope you get it sorted but make it a priority to go there.
Happy new car.

Quick Reply: My Car Is Still At The Dealership!