Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

GTS BOXSTER or GT4

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2020 | 06:05 PM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by colnagoG60
Solid copy. I'm just letting people know, "There's a fix for that", if they think the Spyder/GT4 is "too stiff" to drive on a regular basis. Everyone's idea of "harsh" may vary, but regardless, "there is a fix".

;-)
718 GT4/Spyder have DSC-like damper control logic from the factory, so they're pretty comfortable in stock form.
Old 08-31-2020 | 06:34 PM
dmk2
Three Wheelin'

The primary questions.

1. Can manual transmission be tolerable for daily use
2. Will ground clearance be an issue during regular use
3. LWBs are a hard pass for regular use. The ride and comfort change dramatically with 2-ways.
Old 08-31-2020 | 06:38 PM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wizee
718 GT4/Spyder have DSC-like damper control logic from the factory, so they're pretty comfortable in stock form.
That's what I'm hearing/reading, but some are still finding it too firm. If so, it can be further adjusted via DSC.
Old 08-31-2020 | 06:42 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dmk2
The primary questions.

1. Can manual transmission be tolerable for daily use
2. Will ground clearance be an issue during regular use
3. LWBs are a hard pass for regular use. The ride and comfort change dramatically with 2-ways.
All good points. Also...
4. Spyder manual top is a hard pass for regular use. For me it's a hard pass even for backroads use here in the north east, can't possibly imagine it on a daily/regular car unless you plan to never open it in which case just get a coupe.
Old 08-31-2020 | 07:03 PM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hf1
All good points. Also...
4. Spyder manual top is a hard pass for regular use. For me it's a hard pass even for backroads use here in the north east, can't possibly imagine it on a daily/regular car unless you plan to never open it in which case just get a coupe.
I was OK with the Spyder since the car it replaced was a coupe, and I can use the Spyder as a coupe too, but also have the flexibility of opening the roof on nice days.

The Spyder roof is a hassle if you want to open/close the roof frequently during a drive, or use the rear trunk frequently (you have to unlatch the roof to open the Spyder rear trunk). Front trunk operation is normal on the Spyder, so it’s not an issue if you’re not carrying lots of cargo.
Old 08-31-2020 | 07:16 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wizee
I was OK with the Spyder since the car it replaced was a coupe, and I can use the Spyder as a coupe too, but also have the flexibility of opening the roof on nice days.

The Spyder roof is a hassle if you want to open/close the roof frequently during a drive, or use the rear trunk frequently (you have to unlatch the roof to open the Spyder rear trunk). Front trunk operation is normal on the Spyder, so it’s not an issue if you’re not carrying lots of cargo.
I love open top driving so much that I would open the top even for a 10min milk run to the store before it starts to rain. That's FOUR top operations (opens and closes) for total of 20min of open top driving. I'm lucky that I live in a rural area where every run is a back-road run. I am 100% sure I would not be bothering to open the top in that situation if that was a Spyder.

Old 08-31-2020 | 11:50 PM
Poupon McArr
Racer

The generalization of “if it’s going to be a DD then get the GTS” is nonsense. For some people it works that way, but for others like myself - I would regret not getting the car that puts a smile on my face every time I get in it.

I’m willing to sacrifice some creature comforts for the feeling of loving the car every time I drive it. And on that note if I would have ordered a GTS instead of a GT4, sure I’d be happy but I’d always have the feeling in the back of my mind wondering if I should have bought the GT4.

In your case it seems to come down more to would you rather have a convertible or not?
Old 09-01-2020 | 12:03 AM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

^^^^ I agree with above.

You should determine if you want a closed or open top experience first.

Why can’t you get the GT4 out of your head?

If you go open and looking at the small $ delta between boxster GTS and Spyder I’d go Spyder every time; has to be one of the best value propositions in the Porsche lineup. Oh those nacelles!
Old 09-01-2020 | 12:13 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
If you go open and looking at the small $ delta between boxster GTS and Spyder I’d go Spyder every time; has to be one of the best value propositions in the Porsche lineup. Oh those nacelles!
Manual top. The only reason I'm going with Boxster GTS.

Sure, they finally put the same top engine in an auto-top Boxster. But now that they also brought the GTS 4.0 price to within few $k to the Spyder, would it kill them to ALSO put the same front, wheels, brakes, and suspension in an auto-top Boxster? Humps are harder to fit to an auto-top so they can keep them exclusive to the Spyder.

Last edited by hf1; 09-01-2020 at 12:14 AM.
Old 09-01-2020 | 12:17 AM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

^^^^ It’s not a daily driver for me. 1 cycle of down/up couple of times per month. It’ll be a huge upgrade from the Gen 1 we now have.

If you’re a several times per day every day...then OK big hassle.
Old 09-01-2020 | 12:23 AM
Poupon McArr
Racer

IMO even for a DD the manual top isn’t THAT bad... I had a 981 spyder for a few months and it takes maybe 45 seconds to a minute to put up/down. If that’s keeping you from enjoying the car then I don’t know what to tell you.
Old 09-01-2020 | 12:29 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

^^^^ It’s not a daily driver for me. 1 cycle of down/up couple of times per month. It’ll be a huge upgrade from the Gen 1 we now have.

If you’re a several times per day every day...then OK big hassle.
Not a daily driver for me either. Just a backroads carver + errand, lunch, coffee, milk run, etc, all on backroads. Still operate the auto-top 2-3x per ride on average. Noisy highway section, construction, dirty trucks, phone call, summer sprinkle, errand parking, etc. And auto-top allows you to open the top even for a 10min opportunity. If manual, the top would stay closed. I live in the north-east, so maybe that's a factor.
Old 09-01-2020 | 12:33 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Poupon McArr
IMO even for a DD the manual top isn’t THAT bad... I had a 981 spyder for a few months and it takes maybe 45 seconds to a minute to put up/down. If that’s keeping you from enjoying the car then I don’t know what to tell you.
It's much more than 45 seconds to find a place to park, stop, and do the dance of multiple rounds around the car. Compared to just 15 sec open/close while driving. I've had Boxsters since 2006. I've opened/closed those tops thousands of times. They are an engineering marvel and fully deserving to be associated with the top Boxster, at least as an option.

Last edited by hf1; 09-01-2020 at 12:36 AM.
Old 09-01-2020 | 01:04 AM
Hiren Arora
Track Day

Originally Posted by Poupon McArr
The generalization of “if it’s going to be a DD then get the GTS” is nonsense. For some people it works that way, but for others like myself - I would regret not getting the car that puts a smile on my face every time I get in it.

I’m willing to sacrifice some creature comforts for the feeling of loving the car every time I drive it. And on that note if I would have ordered a GTS instead of a GT4, sure I’d be happy but I’d always have the feeling in the back of my mind wondering if I should have bought the GT4.

In your case it seems to come down more to would you rather have a convertible or not?
Hello! I did see where on a spyder the roof has to be manually open every time. Not a fan of that. I did a test drive on a buddy’s convertible today. I honestly wasn’t comfortable at all. I had a fear of driving a convertible well that got sought out today. I wasn’t enjoying the drive at all but for some reason was just on alert at all times. I think it will best to get a GT4 & have something cheaper on the side for Mileage as I rack up 15-18k miles a year. Thank you for the input.

Old 09-01-2020 | 01:25 AM
Hiren Arora
Track Day

^^^^ I agree with above.

You should determine if you want a closed or open top experience first.

Why can’t you get the GT4 out of your head?

Ok so I have never owned but always wanted a convertible once in life. Well today I got to drive a buddy’s convertible (M4). I wasn’t every comfortable at all. Felt a little fear & was mostly alert the whole time. Something just didn’t click. I wasn’t enjoying being in the open.

About the GT4: I have always driven BMWs. I reside in Mississippi & not many porshes to be seen around. 1 dealership in the state. Recently built a house & I have seen like 3-4 GT3rs in the subdivision. My first time really seeing the car in person. I was amazed by the looks. Then my neighbor moves in & I see different porsches in his driveway just about everyday. Well we talk cars & I find out his family owns high end dealerships in south. Long story short Seeing GTS, Targa in his driveway made me interested in Porsche's. I have not driven a GT4 may be won’t ever get to test drive but it’s just such beautiful car. I just keep looking at the GT4 on internet, youtube.

Quick Reply: GTS BOXSTER or GT4