Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Light Weight Battery

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2020, 12:38 AM
Raghu
Pro

Received 181 Likes on 87 Posts
Default Light Weight Battery

Hey Guys,

Last year I was able to get a light weight lithium battery through AntiGravity Batteries for my 997.2 RS. I was wondering if we could try to get a power buy on the AntiGravity Battery for our 718 GT4/Spyder's.

If anyone is interested in this process we can try to get a thread going. There is about 40 lbs saving compared to the OEM battery.

CC: info@antigravitybatteries.com

Thanks,

Last edited by Raghu; 08-27-2020 at 12:40 AM.
Old 08-27-2020, 01:07 AM
Pokerhobo
Burning Brakes

Received 660 Likes on 344 Posts

I thought that the current antigravity battery isn't compatible with the new GT4? https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1105...l#post16805903
Old 08-27-2020, 01:39 AM
JPMD
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Pokerhobo
I thought that the current antigravity battery isn't compatible with the new GT4? https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1105...l#post16805903
That’s what I’m worried about.
Old 08-27-2020, 10:12 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,483 Likes on 922 Posts

I used a Braille battery on my 981 GT4 for almost 5 years without problems.....one of the things I took off when I sold it.
Hopefully it will work as the new car has that Start/Stop feature......that will kept off of course.
This mod took +30 pounds off the car...coupled with the exhaust combo I'm planning to use 60-70lbs is possible.
Old 08-27-2020, 02:00 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 211 Posts

I have the antigravity battery for my 718 spyder. No issues whatsoever.
Old 08-27-2020, 04:54 PM
JPMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kyrocks
I have the antigravity battery for my 718 spyder. No issues whatsoever.
This is good information.
When you have a chance can you post the exact model and if there was any programming/selection that needed to be done with the drop down menus on the dash or just plug and play.

thanks so much
Old 08-27-2020, 05:25 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Raghu
Hey Guys,

Last year I was able to get a light weight lithium battery through AntiGravity Batteries for my 997.2 RS. I was wondering if we could try to get a power buy on the AntiGravity Battery for our 718 GT4/Spyder's.

If anyone is interested in this process we can try to get a thread going. There is about 40 lbs saving compared to the OEM battery.

CC: info@antigravitybatteries.com

Thanks,
I'm in
Old 08-27-2020, 06:27 PM
lovetoturn
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,126 Likes on 556 Posts

I will be putting one in my car come its November arrival.
Old 08-27-2020, 06:34 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lovetoturn
I will be putting one in my car come its November arrival.
I'm putting one in my 991.2 GT3 at the weekend - cant believe the weight savings
Old 08-27-2020, 06:48 PM
JPMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I'm putting one in my 991.2 GT3 at the weekend - cant believe the weight savings
Which Antigravity model are you going with for the the Spyder and do you know if its plug and play
Thanks
Old 08-27-2020, 06:53 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JPMD
Which Antigravity model are you going with for the the Spyder and do you know if its plug and play
Thanks
I dont - sorry.
Old 08-27-2020, 06:59 PM
JPMD
Rennlist Member

Np thanks Larry
Old 08-27-2020, 07:04 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Np thanks Larry
I assume its most likely an H7 40amp/hr model
Old 08-27-2020, 07:48 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,046 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by Pokerhobo
That’s what I’m worried about.
Well let me make some statements on this so we can clarify the history regarding why there was some issues in the GT4....

I/We/Antigravity are a very conservative company. If any potential non-compatibility comes up or for that matter any issues we hear about from Customers we will immediately look into it..... So we had a few GT4 owners (I think 3) early last year said they got flags in their GT4s after installing the batteries, and this was very odd to us since it was only happening in the GT4s. This left us scratching our heads since we didn't have the same issue in the other Porsches like the Turbos, GT3s, and even older model 911s, or even Boxsters. So due to those flags I stated in one of the threads that something is up and we were looking into it so I said to hold off on getting the battery for a GT4 until we look into this more. So we wanted to run some tests, and have people put our Battery Tracker products on their Cars so we could see if there were oddball voltage profiles coming from the GT4s or something.

But, we didn't find anything odd or out of the.ordinary in the last roughly 8 months.... so not very conclusive. We had our Battery Trackers in the Cars and just saw normal charging profiles....we had people driving as normal and nothing odd.... and the great news was we didn't encounter any flags (see my statement below on flags in general). So I can say in the GT4s ( 6 Cars) we did test in that we have not seen any flags, so that is great. I can also state that we have done about 3 updates on the BMS (Battery Management System) in the last year so any of those updates might have been the issue, or perhaps it was just a faulty battery or over-discharged battery in the original GT4s that culminated in us wondering what was up.

So what does this mean? Well from our perspective and the recent testing we have done, we have NOT seen the flags and it looks like all system are go, and our Battery works perfectly fine in the GT4s, and we have not really seen this issue arise in our testing.

Last, to explain why the flags would come up on the Cars, this was because our BMS (Battery Management) Protection System was set that if a Cars alternator goes over a certain voltage then our on-board Battery protections would kick in to protect the battery from getting voltage spikes.... So what we found is that at times some Porsches will go into the 15.4v range... and while this is rare it would trigger our BMS to clip and flutter the incoming voltage to the battery so that those overly high voltage spikes would not reach the battery..... BUT the think was the Porsche IBS is so sensitive it saw the clipping voltage as an anomaly, and would throw a flag because it did not see a stable voltage as the protections cut-in. But the updates on the BMS have re-configured the way the Protections deal with and over-charge or spiking voltage from those Cars that occasionally spike voltage. So that might have been why those couple of GT4s also had and issues and why we haven't seen it again. Anyway that is what we think was happening to a few GT4s.

The following 2 users liked this post by Antigravity:
AlexCeres (09-06-2020), sobiloff (08-30-2020)
Old 08-27-2020, 07:59 PM
JPMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Antigravity
Well let me make some statements on this so we can clarify the history regarding why there was some issues in the GT4....

I/We/Antigravity are a very conservative company. If any potential non-compatibility comes up or for that matter any issues we hear about from Customers we will immediately look into it..... So we had a few GT4 owners (I think 3) early last year said they got flags in their GT4s after installing the batteries, and this was very odd to us since it was only happening in the GT4s. This left us scratching our heads since we didn't have the same issue in the other Porsches like the Turbos, GT3s, and even older model 911s, or even Boxsters. So due to those flags I stated in one of the threads that something is up and we were looking into it so I said to hold off on getting the battery for a GT4 until we look into this more. So we wanted to run some tests, and have people put our Battery Tracker products on their Cars so we could see if there were oddball voltage profiles coming from the GT4s or something.

But, we didn't find anything odd or out of the.ordinary in the last roughly 8 months.... so not very conclusive. We had our Battery Trackers in the Cars and just saw normal charging profiles....we had people driving as normal and nothing odd.... and the great news was we didn't encounter any flags (see my statement below on flags in general). So I can say in the GT4s ( 6 Cars) we did test in that we have not seen any flags, so that is great. I can also state that we have done about 3 updates on the BMS (Battery Management System) in the last year so any of those updates might have been the issue, or perhaps it was just a faulty battery or over-discharged battery in the original GT4s that culminated in us wondering what was up.

So what does this mean? Well from our perspective and the recent testing we have done, we have NOT seen the flags and it looks like all system are go, and our Battery works perfectly fine in the GT4s, and we have not really seen this issue arise in our testing.

Last, to explain why the flags would come up on the Cars, this was because our BMS (Battery Management) Protection System was set that if a Cars alternator goes over a certain voltage then our on-board Battery protections would kick in to protect the battery from getting voltage spikes.... So what we found is that at times some Porsches will go into the 15.4v range... and while this is rare it would trigger our BMS to clip and flutter the incoming voltage to the battery so that those overly high voltage spikes would not reach the battery..... BUT the think was the Porsche IBS is so sensitive it saw the clipping voltage as an anomaly, and would throw a flag because it did not see a stable voltage as the protections cut-in. But the updates on the BMS have re-configured the way the Protections deal with and over-charge or spiking voltage from those Cars that occasionally spike voltage. So that might have been why those couple of GT4s also had and issues and why we haven't seen it again. Anyway that is what we think was happening to a few GT4s.

Thank you
Which battery do you recommend for 718 Spyder and is there any programming or plug in & go

Quick Reply: Light Weight Battery