Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Thoughts on brake calipier color with Miami Blue

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2020, 11:12 PM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

I have a Miami Blue Spyder with black painted calipers. They are a perfect fit
Old 08-23-2020, 11:23 PM
Pokerhobo
Burning Brakes

Received 568 Likes on 314 Posts

If you're going to aftermarket powder coat the calipers, I'd go with something unique like Mclaren Orange. I think it would work with MB.
Old 08-24-2020, 03:59 AM
No Name
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Pokerhobo
If you're going to aftermarket powder coat the calipers, I'd go with something unique like Mclaren Orange. I think it would work with MB.
I think I might have found a winner. I’ve been trying to find the paint code on that.

The following 2 users liked this post by No Name:
FASTRKMAN (08-24-2020), Pokerhobo (08-24-2020)
Old 08-24-2020, 05:20 AM
s2kspyder
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

When I build my car online, I was not sure about the red calipers but having it in person, I think it looks fine. I went with the silver stitching with MB seatbelt to not introduce a "third" colour.

But I have to say I saw a Miami Blue GT4 with the red stitching and it matches perfectly with the red calipers! I would have chosen this and maybe red dials. Delete the MB seatbelt.

Do I think the yellow calipers with yellow stitching would look amazing? Of course but the ceramic brakes were out of question for me.

I am not a fan of repainting them unless the colour had faded over time. If you track at all, the heat will be excessive. Only powder coated (not paint) will last.

To me paying $1000 for black colour seems expensive and kinda makes it dull looking. You want people to notice these big brakes.
Old 08-24-2020, 07:24 AM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 726 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
How much do these caliper paint jobs cost ball-park? I may just stick with the red calipers and save the $900 black caliper upcharge towards painting the calipers Python Green which would look much better on a PG car with Platinum wheels.
They will have to remove the calipers, disassemble them, paint, reassemble, install, and probably need a brake flush after. I think it will be much more expensive than $900 black caliper paint charge Porsche is requesting.

My order is Gentian Blue Spyder with Black Calipers, I didn't want to shell out for the PCCB and honestly feel like black is the best choice of color available from Porsche. The body color is already one that sticks out, don't need anymore pop from the calipers.

If I was ordering a Miami Blue car, I would probably go with Black calipers and Platinum Silver wheels.
The following users liked this post:
InTgr8r (08-26-2020)
Old 08-24-2020, 08:32 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by sin911
They will have to remove the calipers, disassemble them, paint, reassemble, install, and probably need a brake flush after. I think it will be much more expensive than $900 black caliper paint charge Porsche is requesting.

My order is Gentian Blue Spyder with Black Calipers, I didn't want to shell out for the PCCB and honestly feel like black is the best choice of color available from Porsche. The body color is already one that sticks out, don't need anymore pop from the calipers.

If I was ordering a Miami Blue car, I would probably go with Black calipers and Platinum Silver wheels.
I agree, black calipers seem best, especially since there’s already a lot of black trim on all 718 4.0 cars. Black calipers with Platinum wheels looks great, is neutral, hides dirt well, and works with any exterior/interior color. Dismantling a brand new car just to paint the calipers seems like a big and unnecessary pain in the a$$.
Old 08-24-2020, 12:15 PM
kart125
Burning Brakes

Received 501 Likes on 259 Posts

My choice if you want to stay OEM would be yellow >> black. If you want to go with the relative "trouble" of getting them powder coated I would go a different color than the ones available thru Porsche. The orange posted above looks nice and orange is the complementary colour of blue. You just need to select a shade of orange that will look good with MB. Maybe going at an hardware store and grabbing some samples would help getting it perfect. You can look at the RAL colour palette as this is what the powdercoaters will use. They can sometimes make a "cstom colour" by mixing different powders.

I had the calipers of my DD powercoated 5 years ago and they still look brand new. I did the caliper removal/reassembly myself but any serious powdercoating shop will be able to do it without issues.

https://www.ralcolor.com/
The following 2 users liked this post by kart125:
FASTRKMAN (08-24-2020), No Name (08-24-2020)
Old 08-26-2020, 06:52 PM
Jessica Rowen
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Caliper color with Miami Blue Exterior

Originally Posted by s2kspyder
When I build my car online, I was not sure about the red calipers but having it in person, I think it looks fine. I went with the silver stitching with MB seatbelt to not introduce a "third" colour.

But I have to say I saw a Miami Blue GT4 with the red stitching and it matches perfectly with the red calipers! I would have chosen this and maybe red dials. Delete the MB seatbelt.

Do I think the yellow calipers with yellow stitching would look amazing? Of course but the ceramic brakes were out of question for me.

I am not a fan of repainting them unless the colour had faded over time. If you track at all, the heat will be excessive. Only powder coated (not paint) will last.

To me paying $1000 for black colour seems expensive and kinda makes it dull looking. You want people to notice these big brakes.
I had the same caliper color thoughts on my build. I do not want the ceramic brake upgrade and went to the dealer today to refine my build with the thought of changing the calipers to black. I am Going with:
Miami Blue exterior
Black Interior with Platinum reticulating stitching
carbon fiber trim
Miami Blue seat belt and Bordeaux Red dials and chrono.
I initially had satin wheels BUT changed to new option Aurum gold wheels. On the screen they looked REALLY yellow but in person it is very subtle. I have to say the red calipers with the aurum gold wheels look amazing... feels tied into the Porsche emblem. I did want to tie itnto the interior in a subtle was so I added the dials for a little peek of red.
I also blacked out the Porsche and 718 Spyder logos to get rid of silver and accentuate the 718 Spyder against the Miami Blue.

There are a lot of options and so many different ways to make this car your own.

I, personally, felt like something was missing and off balance to not have calipers catch my eye. I can see how some people would prefer to black out the calipers on their particular build.

Old 08-26-2020, 10:56 PM
joejenie
Rennlist Member

Received 769 Likes on 392 Posts

I say embrace yellow. Looks great with Miami Blue. Of course, I voted with my cash. haha

The following users liked this post:
Ledfoot (08-26-2020)

Quick Reply: Thoughts on brake calipier color with Miami Blue