Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Long Term Storage

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2020, 03:40 PM
Puggz
Pro

Received 236 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Rxpert
I’ll be storing my car for at least 6 months (Canadian winter), and have a quick question regarding the tire pressure.

The checklist recommends over-inflating the tires by 8-10psi. Does that mean 8-10psi above the recommended pressure listed on the door jam sticker or 8-10psi above the max pressure listed on the tire sidewall?
8-10 psi over normal operating pressure (sticker on the door jam). I put mine upto 50 (max rating for the tire) and haven't had an issue. BUT, the most performance tire I've ever used was a Pilot Super Sport. No issues come spring, just drop the pressure back down to operating pressures and away you go..
Old 08-22-2020, 03:45 PM
CaymanMatt
Racer

Received 165 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan_S
Most modern wheels and tires should not see any appreciable pressure drop over a winter storage (except for temperature variation). They certainly shouldn't see 8-10 psi. This is more for keeping the tires, particularly soft performance tires, from flat spotting. But it isn't even all that effective. Get good tire cradles to prevent flat spotting on a cold concrete (most likely) floor. If you are really serious, you can put the car on jack stands.

The pressure on the sidewall is maximum cold pressure. I would not exceed this, even for storage as it is not necessary.
You should not put your car on jack stands for extended periods. It leaves shock components exposed that usually aren't exposed to the elements.
I've stored our car for two winters, inflating the tires to max pressure without using cradles. There have been no issues when coming out of storage.
FWIW & MOO
Old 08-22-2020, 03:55 PM
Alan_S
Instructor

Received 95 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by CaymanMatt
You should not put your car on jack stands for extended periods. It leaves shock components exposed that usually aren't exposed to the elements.
I've stored our car for two winters, inflating the tires to max pressure without using cradles. There have been no issues when coming out of storage.
FWIW & MOO
The over-inflation can and does work for helping flat spots, just not always. Dependent on floor, temperature, tire etc. Having them off the ground or on good cradles practically guarantees no flat spots.

As for the "exposed suspension", what parts are you referring to? The piston rod? Part of that same piece is regularly exposed to not just air but mud, rain, dirt etc. in normal driving and then goes into the shock body on compression. The only argument I've heard for not storing car on jack stands is bushing stress and sway bar loading. Both are really only an issue if your suspension is already beat. Unhooking the sway bar is an easy move anyway--if you're already going to the trouble of jack stands.
Old 08-22-2020, 07:01 PM
Rxpert
Rennlist Member

Received 401 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Puggz
8-10 psi over normal operating pressure (sticker on the door jam). I put mine upto 50 (max rating for the tire) and haven't had an issue. BUT, the most performance tire I've ever used was a Pilot Super Sport. No issues come spring, just drop the pressure back down to operating pressures and away you go..
Thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for.
Old 08-22-2020, 08:07 PM
spy2der
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Puggz
You don't need the charger on the battery full time. Run an extension cord and charge it for 24hrs once a month.
The problem is I can’t even run an extension chord to charge anything... there’s no power outlet anywhere close :-(
Old 08-22-2020, 09:45 PM
CaymanMatt
Racer

Received 165 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan_S
The over-inflation can and does work for helping flat spots, just not always. Dependent on floor, temperature, tire etc. Having them off the ground or on good cradles practically guarantees no flat spots.

As for the "exposed suspension", what parts are you referring to? The piston rod? Part of that same piece is regularly exposed to not just air but mud, rain, dirt etc. in normal driving and then goes into the shock body on compression. The only argument I've heard for not storing car on jack stands is bushing stress and sway bar loading. Both are really only an issue if your suspension is already beat. Unhooking the sway bar is an easy move anyway--if you're already going to the trouble of jack stands.
My understanding is that the now exposed parts are usually internal and are therefore clean by virtue of that environment. Long term jack stand storage exposes them to the elements they are not acclimated to. From a different forum: "I was advised "hanging" the wheels/leaving the car on jackstands may expose the strut shafts to the elements and if done this way grease should be applied to the exposed part of the shafts to prevent rusting." I have seen this commentary also on Porsche forums.
I personally would not want my suspension hanging like that for more than a couple weeks but that's MOO!

Quick Reply: Long Term Storage