Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Did anyone opt for Summer Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2020, 12:46 AM
legato
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Did anyone opt for Summer Tires?

Presumably only the Spyder/gts4.0 crowd would consider this, but I'm curious.

Did anyone opt for the more rain & road friendly summer tires?
Old 08-19-2020, 01:53 AM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Received 1,804 Likes on 865 Posts

I did because I don't plan on tracking my car and my build is more of a comfortable build with sofas and burmester stereo. I'm hoping Porsche uses the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S.

I don't know about the GTS 4.0 but the GT4 doesn't have this option; only the Spyder.
Old 08-19-2020, 02:07 AM
legato
Intermediate

I'm going 18way with Burmester too. Do you expect much difference (outside of rain capability) from the summer tires over the default tires?
Old 08-19-2020, 02:12 AM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Received 1,804 Likes on 865 Posts

Originally Posted by legato
I'm going 18way with Burmester too. Do you expect much difference (outside of rain capability) from the summer tires over the default tires?
I guess it really depends on how you want to use the car and what you're expecting from the car and from the tires. If you're looking to track your car, then the Cup tires will be your best choice. If you're not planning on tracking and want more use in the rain, varying temperatures, a little less cost, and longer tread life then the summer tire option is the way to go.

For me even if I do track my car, it might be once or twice at the most and I'm by no means a professional driver so I wouldn't even be able to extract all of the potential from the Cup tires so I was happy to see the option on the MY21 build.
Old 08-19-2020, 02:21 AM
legato
Intermediate

Originally Posted by halfmonkey
I guess it really depends on how you want to use the car and what you're expecting from the car and from the tires. If you're looking to track your car, then the Cup tires will be your best choice. If you're not planning on tracking and want more use in the rain, varying temperatures, a little less cost, and longer tread life then the summer tire option is the way to go.

For me even if I do track my car, it might be once or twice at the most and I'm by no means a professional driver so I wouldn't even be able to extract all of the potential from the Cup tires so I was happy to see the option on the MY21 build.
Not planning on tracking often, my main concern in stepping off the Cup tires is less driving engagement/fun. Never compared tires on a vehicle before so struggling to understand the tradeoff: I'd love to not worry about rain, but is it part of what makes the GT cars special and fun?

If it's not part of the fun factor, and it's just milliseconds off at the track, then I think I'll spec the same way you did.
Old 08-19-2020, 05:05 AM
VEGAM
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 24 Posts

Not planning on tracking often, my main concern in stepping off the Cup tires is less driving engagement/fun. Never compared tires on a vehicle before so struggling to understand the tradeoff: I'd love to not worry about rain, but is it part of what makes the GT cars special and fun?

If it's not part of the fun factor, and it's just milliseconds off at the track, then I think I'll spec the same way you did.
As someone who does a lot of weekend fun drives on backroads, I push my car pretty hard on twisties. I can tell you while really good all round tires like PS4S's are amazing, you definitely feel the difference even on backroads between these tires and more track focussed tires like Cup2's. But it really depends on your driving style and having Cup2's comes with its own disadvantages. You need to be careful in low temps and get tires warmed up before you push the car around, driving under 55F is not recommended and they are more prone to get flats. Also, they don't wear well.
The following users liked this post:
Dr.Bill (08-19-2020)
Old 08-19-2020, 11:59 AM
legato
Intermediate

Originally Posted by VEGAM
As someone who does a lot of weekend fun drives on backroads, I push my car pretty hard on twisties. I can tell you while really good all round tires like PS4S's are amazing, you definitely feel the difference even on backroads between these tires and more track focussed tires like Cup2's. But it really depends on your driving style and having Cup2's comes with its own disadvantages. You need to be careful in low temps and get tires warmed up before you push the car around, driving under 55F is not recommended and they are more prone to get flats. Also, they don't wear well.
As in, you shouldn’t drive on these at all when it’s 55 or below? NorCal won’t see that too often, but being stranded if it rains or drops to 52 doesn’t sound appealing.
Old 08-19-2020, 02:54 PM
VEGAM
Rennlist Member

As in, you shouldn’t drive on these at all when it’s 55 or below? NorCal won’t see that too often, but being stranded if it rains or drops to 52 doesn’t sound appealing.
You can definitely drive them but you will have to be very careful. Traction from track tires drops significantly at colder temperatures. On track, you can get them to operating temperatures after 2-3 laps but during normal street driving, it is not easy to get to operating temperature.
I think for NorCal, with only occasional low 50s you will be fine. Just don't push the car around like you would otherwise do. Also watch out for wet pavement.
Old 08-19-2020, 03:18 PM
akhbhaat
Instructor

Received 131 Likes on 74 Posts

I would personally opt for the PS4S if the car is primarily going to be driven on the street, and that's what I'm planning to do when my current set of Cup 2s wear out. There is a difference in feel, but it's not massive even at warmer temps (the PS4S is an extremely good all-around performance tire which is great in the rain and also wears well--you can reasonably expect up to 30k out of a set if you're not thrashing the car), and the PS4S is much BETTER if there's any rain/water or temps drop into the 50s. Where I live, it's often 45-55F half the year so running the Cup 2 on the stock wheels greatly reduces the utility of the car, even as a weekend toy. Some people around here even run RE980s, which are actually classified as all-seasons and hit their sweet spot at local winter temps (40s).

I'll be putting Cup 2s on the track wheels, though.

Last edited by akhbhaat; 08-19-2020 at 03:25 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JPMD (08-19-2020)
Old 08-19-2020, 03:29 PM
VEGAM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by akhbhaat
I would personally opt for the PS4S if the car is primarily going to be driven on the street, and that's what I'm planning to do when my current set of Cup 2s wear out. There is a difference in feel, but it's not massive even at warmer temps (the PS4S is an extremely good all-around performance tire which is great in the rain and also wears well--you can reasonably expect up to 30k out of a set if you're not thrashing the car), and the PS4S is much BETTER if there's any rain/water or temps drop into the 50s. Where I live, it's often 45-55F half the year so running the Cup 2 on the stock wheels greatly reduces the utility of the car, even as a weekend toy. Some people around here even run RE980s, which are actually classified as all-seasons and hit their sweet spot at local winter temps (40s).

I'll be putting Cup 2s on the track wheels, though.
I guess you are around Seattle area (judging from your location phrase) and yeah, thats my current plan to. Cup2s will go on new set of track rims and buy PS4S or RE980AS for OEM rims for daily driving and may be winter AX.
Old 08-19-2020, 05:44 PM
AviBen
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 77 Posts

Opted for the non-ultra high performance summer tires. Don't intent to track my upcoming Spyder, want better wear, and want to be able to drive it safely on summer tires in the rain and when the temp is above 45 but below 55. Also ordering winter wheel set; the past few years I've switched wheels on both my 911 and my Boxster the end of October and the beginning of April (too old to give up driving the sports cars for 5+ months/yr).
Old 08-19-2020, 05:51 PM
JPMD
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 71 Posts

I also opted summer tire for Spyder.
Better for wet weather driving and vehicle will be 100% street use.
Old 08-19-2020, 07:30 PM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,044 Likes on 559 Posts

The Canadian configurator still has not shown this option.

I have a 2021 build and will definitely spec it if available.
Old 08-19-2020, 07:39 PM
VEGAM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dyim
The Canadian configurator still has not shown this option.

I have a 2021 build and will definitely spec it if available.
Not sure if you checked GT4 or Spyder configurator but HP Summer tires are available as option only for Spyder and not GT4, at least in the US.
Old 08-20-2020, 12:27 AM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,044 Likes on 559 Posts

Originally Posted by VEGAM
Not sure if you checked GT4 or Spyder configurator but HP Summer tires are available as option only for Spyder and not GT4, at least in the US.
I should clarify.

I am getting a spyder.

I think the option might become available on the Canadian site when the 2021 price gets updated.

Quick Reply: Did anyone opt for Summer Tires?