Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Did anyone opt for Summer Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2020 | 02:50 AM
akhbhaat
Instructor

Originally Posted by VEGAM
I guess you are around Seattle area (judging from your location phrase) and yeah, thats my current plan to. Cup2s will go on new set of track rims and buy PS4S or RE980AS for OEM rims for daily driving and may be winter AX.
Seattle, yup. I've run summers (PS4S and its predecessor) year-round here for the past 7 years without issue...but the Cup 2s won't cut it, especially with any rain (which, of course, we would NEVER have that time of year).
Old 08-20-2020 | 04:13 AM
VEGAM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dyim
I should clarify.

I am getting a spyder.

I think the option might become available on the Canadian site when the 2021 price gets updated.
Strange that 2021 price is not yet reflected in Canadian site. IIRC it was updated in US configurator almost 2 months ago.
Old 09-28-2020 | 05:34 PM
mjw930
Burning Brakes

So, no one has taken delivery so we don't know what brand and model tires they will ship with. You CANNOT assume checking this button gets you the PS4S. In fact, it's highly likely they aren't because Michelin isn't showing an N-Spec PS4S in these sizes. I'm tempted to take deliver with the Cup2's and swap them out for generic PS4S and put the Cup2's on the shelf for track days or sell them to a track rat.
The following users liked this post:
Rennolazine (09-28-2020)
Old 09-28-2020 | 05:39 PM
Alan_S
Instructor

Originally Posted by AviBen
Opted for the non-ultra high performance summer tires. Don't intent to track my upcoming Spyder, want better wear, and want to be able to drive it safely on summer tires in the rain and when the temp is above 45 but below 55. Also ordering winter wheel set; the past few years I've switched wheels on both my 911 and my Boxster the end of October and the beginning of April (too old to give up driving the sports cars for 5+ months/yr).
I was looking for this info the other day and had trouble finding info from Michelin confirming that it is unsafe to drive under 55 degrees. I have experience with track tires and "extreme" performance street tires and usually this advisory/warning is easy to find. Can you point me to where you got your data? (Note, I view unsafe as being related to tire integrity not limited grip. Yes, any performance tire will suffer in cold weather but I'm more looking into safety of the tire itself.). Thanks!
Old 09-28-2020 | 06:37 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mjw930
So, no one has taken delivery so we don't know what brand and model tires they will ship with. You CANNOT assume checking this button gets you the PS4S. In fact, it's highly likely they aren't because Michelin isn't showing an N-Spec PS4S in these sizes. I'm tempted to take deliver with the Cup2's and swap them out for generic PS4S and put the Cup2's on the shelf for track days or sell them to a track rat.
as of now im betting early adopters will get the p zero
N0 spec
Old 09-28-2020 | 06:50 PM
VVG
Rennlist Member

I have progressively pushed the Cup 2 a little more in colder temps. They are easily drivable in a "normal" manner with temps even the the low 40s on dry roads. The tires themselves will warm up quickly. I have driven them fairly hard on back roads with temps in the low 50s and there is no issue whatsoever. I think part of this is allowing the tires to warm up and also that if the sun is out, the actual road surface temperature will be warm even if the air is cooler. Honestly, I think the bigger issue is rain/wet conditions. I felt I needed to be more cautious on wet roads irrespective of the air temp than on cold dry roads. I have only driven this car a few times in wet conditions, however.
Old 09-28-2020 | 07:10 PM
mjw930
Burning Brakes

If the N-Spec version of the Cup2's has the low temperature warning it should be printed in the Porsche manual or be part of the addendums for the GT4/Spyder. It's quite possible that the Porsche spec required Michelin to change the compound to eliminate the cold weather damage but I'm sure that are like hocky pucks on ice once you get below 40F.
Old 09-28-2020 | 07:11 PM
mjw930
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
as of now im betting early adopters will get the p zero
N0 spec
Exactly, which is why this is a hard stop for me. I'd rather have the "generic" PS4S than the N0 P-Zero. I'll be ordering my Spyder with the UHP tire option.
Old 09-28-2020 | 10:26 PM
street
Racer

MPSC2s are pretty good in the damp, but hit standing water and hang on. I've tracked them a lot and they need heat to stick. I shredded one on a 45 degree day.
Old 09-29-2020 | 12:40 AM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mjw930
this is exactly what I did. Dealer had the car ready to go on PS4S when i picked it up and shipped the OEM cup 2 out later.
Old 09-30-2020 | 11:56 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Also in the Pacific Northwest, I have Maxx Race 2 for the summer on aftermarket forged wheels and RE980AS on the OEM wheels for the balance of the year.
Old 10-01-2020 | 12:04 AM
AviBen
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Alan_S
I was looking for this info the other day and had trouble finding info from Michelin confirming that it is unsafe to drive under 55 degrees. I have experience with track tires and "extreme" performance street tires and usually this advisory/warning is easy to find. Can you point me to where you got your data? (Note, I view unsafe as being related to tire integrity not limited grip. Yes, any performance tire will suffer in cold weather but I'm more looking into safety of the tire itself.). Thanks!
I was talking only about limited grip, not the physical integrity of the tire, and then my concerns are at temps below 45, not 55 degrees. I haven't checked out more info on the Michelins, but I do recall that in much colder temps summer tires can harden and crack.

Quick Reply: Did anyone opt for Summer Tires?