Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

PDK info. Will we know before cars are delivered?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2020, 05:48 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 781 Likes on 454 Posts
Default PDK info. Will we know before cars are delivered?

Wondering if cars will be delivered BEFORE the specs on the following will be released..
1. Configurator update (final lever/shift boot/paddle images)
2. Tq specs -317?
3. E diff fitted to pdk drivetrain
4. Weight increase
5. 0-60 etc
C’mon Porsche

Last edited by Rennolazine; 08-17-2020 at 06:19 PM.
Old 08-17-2020, 06:45 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Received 1,804 Likes on 865 Posts

One can only hope at this point.
Old 08-17-2020, 08:41 PM
Jonathan hughes
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 20 Posts

Still waiting for pdk to be an option in the UK. My build locks the middle of October so I'm checking the configurator daily. My SA went off on one the other day when I asked to change the headlights etc. He said that no more changes can be made now and there are plenty of people that he could sell the spyder to if I wasn't serious about buying it. I don't know where he was coming from. As far as I was concerned I'm allowed to change the spec as much as I want up until it locks. As for serious about buying it he has £10,000 of my money as a deposit. I think that makes me quite serious. It was the first time I changed the spec from the initial order as well. I really didn't know if he was going to cancel the order and sell it to someone else or not. Not sure how the conversion will go if it becomes available before my build locks.
Old 08-18-2020, 12:56 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,078 Likes on 2,330 Posts

When will the folks in Europe get their PDK cars? Mine is scheduled to arrive first week of Nov.
Old 08-18-2020, 01:22 AM
4MIDABLE
Racer

Received 327 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonathan hughes
Still waiting for pdk to be an option in the UK. My build locks the middle of October so I'm checking the configurator daily. My SA went off on one the other day when I asked to change the headlights etc. He said that no more changes can be made now and there are plenty of people that he could sell the spyder to if I wasn't serious about buying it. I don't know where he was coming from. As far as I was concerned I'm allowed to change the spec as much as I want up until it locks. As for serious about buying it he has £10,000 of my money as a deposit. I think that makes me quite serious. It was the first time I changed the spec from the initial order as well. I really didn't know if he was going to cancel the order and sell it to someone else or not. Not sure how the conversion will go if it becomes available before my build locks.
Some of the attitude on these sales guys, seriously. First time I went into the dealership I ended up buying the car from, a certain SA wouldn't give me the time of day.. I got a hook up from friend who knew another SA at the same dealership...Went in, and the new guy took my deposit, ordered me the car when the allocation came up, nice guy. The day I took delivery the original SA was there working...he comes up and says "Great Spec, well done." I said, "you don't remember me do you?" blank stare, i said ", yeah, I came in to put a deposit on one of these cars and you told me you couldn't take a deposit from me because I hadn't bought a car here before. It is a nice car isn't it? My SA (not you) told me it was one of the highest spec'd GT4s on order." then I took the keys from my SA. it was awesome.
The following 3 users liked this post by 4MIDABLE:
DFW01TT (08-18-2020), Drifting (08-18-2020), Roarke (08-18-2020)
Old 08-18-2020, 01:53 AM
DFW01TT
Burning Brakes

Received 535 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonathan hughes
Snap that clown back to reality by asking for the sales manager to call you and to be prepared to return your deposit.
There are precious few people in a position to drop that kind of money on a toy today.
Unless the dealer is in "The City" and in that case they may not care.
Old 08-18-2020, 01:59 AM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,719 Likes on 943 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
When will the folks in Europe get their PDK cars? Mine is scheduled to arrive first week of Nov.
You won’t get it until the beginning of Dec though.
Old 08-18-2020, 02:35 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
Wondering if cars will be delivered BEFORE the specs on the following will be released..
1. Configurator update (final lever/shift boot/paddle images)
2. Tq specs -317?
How would the torque be any different, given the specs are at the flywheel?
Old 08-18-2020, 02:44 AM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Received 833 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
How would the torque be any different, given the specs are at the flywheel?
The same reason 718 GTS 2.5L has more torque on the PDK version - the manual transmission is limited to handling 420 Nm at the crank. The PDK has a higher torque limit, and the torque curve shows that Porsche is obviously clipping the max torque of this engine to meet transmission requirements.
Old 08-18-2020, 02:54 AM
ronbauer
Pro

Received 524 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by wizee
The same reason 718 GTS 2.5L has more torque on the PDK version - the manual transmission is limited to handling 420 Nm at the crank. The PDK has a higher torque limit, and the torque curve shows that Porsche is obviously clipping the max torque of this engine to meet transmission requirements.
To add to that, the engine just needs a tune to get more torque...

Ron
Old 08-18-2020, 09:27 AM
Knutsm01
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by n4v4nod
You won’t get it until the beginning of Dec though.
Yep - 12/4
Old 08-18-2020, 11:19 AM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 781 Likes on 454 Posts

Looks like our cars will be the test cars
I wont be able to do performance testing till April tho. Cant do it in the midwest in Jan... unless youre crazy
Old 08-18-2020, 11:31 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by wizee
GT3 manual and PDK have the same torque limit though, right? And why emissions? It could just be they’re keeping the GT4 in the performance envelope they want.
Old 08-18-2020, 11:32 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by ronbauer
To add to that, the engine just needs a tune to get more torque...

Ron
But you could do that to either car, not just PDK.
Old 08-18-2020, 11:33 AM
KelvinC
Burning Brakes

Received 1,070 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
Looks like our cars will be the test cars
I wont be able to do performance testing till April tho. Cant do it in the midwest in Jan... unless youre crazy
The estimate on my delivery is also 12/4.

What's interesting is that based on the dates my SA told me, my car enters production 8/28, and completes production 9/18. That's pretty soon! If production is starting in a couple of weeks, then Porsche clearly already has details resolved. I'm hopeful that it's honestly not anything brand new, and a transmission that has been tested, either from the 992 or the 982, and optimized for the GT4. I know the GT4CS is still using the 3.8, and the PDK from the base 981, so maybe it will be an evolved version of that.

Quick Reply: PDK info. Will we know before cars are delivered?