Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

PDK info. Will we know before cars are delivered?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2020 | 11:34 AM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Archimedes
GT3 manual and PDK have the same torque limit though, right? And why emissions? It could just be they’re keeping the GT4 in the performance envelope they want.
Which makes me nervous that they will give us a revised, neutered PDK. "Special" for the GT4/spyder. Longer gear ratios because hoonestly even with the 10% shorter gearing in the regular 718 box, these cares will rip (possibly a bit too hard).
Old 08-18-2020 | 11:37 AM
Puggz
Pro

Originally Posted by Jonathan hughes
Still waiting for pdk to be an option in the UK. My build locks the middle of October so I'm checking the configurator daily. My SA went off on one the other day when I asked to change the headlights etc. He said that no more changes can be made now and there are plenty of people that he could sell the spyder to if I wasn't serious about buying it. I don't know where he was coming from. As far as I was concerned I'm allowed to change the spec as much as I want up until it locks. As for serious about buying it he has £10,000 of my money as a deposit. I think that makes me quite serious. It was the first time I changed the spec from the initial order as well. I really didn't know if he was going to cancel the order and sell it to someone else or not. Not sure how the conversion will go if it becomes available before my build locks.
I would have a little chat with his manager.... this is unacceptable.
Old 08-18-2020 | 11:54 AM
Knutsm01
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KelvinC
The estimate on my delivery is also 12/4.

What's interesting is that based on the dates my SA told me, my car enters production 8/28, and completes production 9/18. That's pretty soon! If production is starting in a couple of weeks, then Porsche clearly already has details resolved. I'm hopeful that it's honestly not anything brand new, and a transmission that has been tested, either from the 992 or the 982, and optimized for the GT4. I know the GT4CS is still using the 3.8, and the PDK from the base 981, so maybe it will be an evolved version of that.
My schedule is the same as yours - we’ll see what happens on 8/28.
Old 08-18-2020 | 12:38 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
Which makes me nervous that they will give us a revised, neutered PDK. "Special" for the GT4/spyder. Longer gear ratios because hoonestly even with the 10% shorter gearing in the regular 718 box, these cares will rip (possibly a bit too hard).
I bet the engine specs are identical and the gear ratios are slightly shorter. The car will be a few tenths quicker than the manual. No way it’s a sub 3.5 second car though, except on make believe adjusted perfect condition paper.
Old 08-18-2020 | 12:40 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

I bet the engine specs are identical and the gear ratios are slightly shorter. The car will be a few tenths quicker than the manual. No way it’s a sub 3.5 second car though, except on make believe adjusted perfect condition paper.
I’ll take shorter gears, 3.6 to 60, and trap of 122 in the 1/4 mi, 7 days a week and twice on sunday. That would make it as fast as my Vantage, which feels brutal
Old 08-18-2020 | 02:29 PM
Jonathan hughes
Advanced

Originally Posted by Puggz
I would have a little chat with his manager.... this is unacceptable.
I know I should but I'm just happy to get an allocation. The last thing I want to do is loose that. I'll bite my lip until I get the letter asking how was the service. I can't see PDK coming to the UK before I'm locked anyway.
Old 08-18-2020 | 02:58 PM
AviBen
Rennlist Member

My SA went off on one the other day when I asked to change the headlights etc. He said that no more changes can be made now and there are plenty of people that he could sell the spyder to if I wasn't serious about buying it. I don't know where he was coming from. As far as I was concerned I'm allowed to change the spec as much as I want up until it locks.
So sorry you had that experience! Every little thing matters when you're customizing a six-figure sports car. Part of being an experienced, good SA is understanding what we first-world buyers of these very special cars go through when we order (chalk? red? yellow? miami blue? body color headlight washer nozzle?); this is the 4th P-car I'm buying from my SA and he tolerates every ridiculous indecision I agonize over, sometimes helping me, sometimes just standing back and letting me sort it out. I already made one change (seat belt color) and emailed him about a possible two or three others, and he remains unflappable.
Old 08-18-2020 | 03:00 PM
AviBen
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
I’ll take shorter gears, 3.6 to 60....
Amen!
Old 08-18-2020 | 03:24 PM
Knutsm01
Rennlist Member

I know I should but I'm just happy to get an allocation. The last thing I want to do is loose that. I'll bite my lip until I get the letter asking how was the service. I can't see PDK coming to the UK before I'm locked anyway.
Torch him on the post delivery review.
The following users liked this post:
Jonathan hughes (08-18-2020)
Old 08-18-2020 | 03:38 PM
AviBen
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Knutsm01
Torch him on the post delivery review.
May I suggest a better approach? Keep the power to torch him post-delivery in your back pocket. After delivery, especially if you have options as to where to bring your new car for service, as well as where to go for future purchases, you will have leverage. I'd suggest sitting down for a friendly, respectful, heart-to-heart "need to clear the air before we continue to do business", chat with the SA, in which you gently mention that you like to work things out rather than use formal complaint or review channels. Porsche dealers' employees are VERY sensitive to the reviews and reports after a customer has dealt with them. Having a good relationship with an SA, and, even more importantly later, with the service folks, can be very valuable. I've had more than one experience where an initially lousy interaction turned into a long-term positive relationship. And, of course, if this guy really is a jerk and wasn't just acting out some temporary stress, you can always take action accordingly in a formal way.
Jonathan hughes (08-18-2020)
Old 08-18-2020 | 03:51 PM
JAhmed
Drifting

Originally Posted by AviBen
May I suggest a better approach? Keep the power to torch him post-delivery in your back pocket. After delivery, especially if you have options as to where to bring your new car for service, as well as where to go for future purchases, you will have leverage. I'd suggest sitting down for a friendly, respectful, heart-to-heart "need to clear the air before we continue to do business", chat with the SA, in which you gently mention that you like to work things out rather than use formal complaint or review channels. Porsche dealers' employees are VERY sensitive to the reviews and reports after a customer has dealt with them. Having a good relationship with an SA, and, even more importantly later, with the service folks, can be very valuable. I've had more than one experience where an initially lousy interaction turned into a long-term positive relationship. And, of course, if this guy really is a jerk and wasn't just acting out some temporary stress, you can always take action accordingly in a formal way.
Alternatively, you can set his office on fire.
The following 2 users liked this post by JAhmed:
Knutsm01 (08-18-2020), OttawaSteve (08-18-2020)
Old 08-18-2020 | 04:05 PM
AviBen
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JAhmed
Alternatively, you can set his office on fire.
Ah, yes, I forgot, there's that, too!!
JAhmed (08-18-2020)
Old 08-18-2020 | 04:34 PM
ronbauer
Pro

But you could do that to either car, not just PDK.
The issue is that the current torque limit is supposedly the limit of the manual gear box. The PDK can handle more torque. Now whether we get that on the GT4 or it’s reserved for the GT4RS, we shall see.

Ron
Old 08-18-2020 | 05:24 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Its only 317 ftlb (8 more), which should be equivalent because DCT has slightly more drivetrain loss. The shorter ratios are gonna be where its at. Carwow guy hit 85 mph in second gear in his video. I mean, WTF.
Old 08-18-2020 | 05:26 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by n4v4nod
You won’t get it until the beginning of Dec though.
Originally Posted by Knutsm01
Yep - 12/4
Why will I have to wait until Dec? My allocation shows that the estimated delivery date of the car to the dealership is the first week of Nov (got moved up by a week).

Quick Reply: PDK info. Will we know before cars are delivered?