Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Tire Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2020, 12:39 PM
SpyderLegend
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I think 2.3/2.6 (bar, f/r) hot is good for street driving. Its 33/38 psi. Good compromise between grip & wear. More presssure and it gets slippery, less pressure and the car feels less responsive and you can feel some tyre rollover on the front even with +10° caster and -2° camber.

I obtain that pressure with 2.05 and 2.3 bar cold which is 30/33 psi I think.
Old 08-11-2020, 01:05 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,089 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Yes the GT4 and Spyder still have TPMS in the MFD, but I do not see a selection for "Comfort Pressure" only Summer or Winter in 20" sizing
Good To Know app has no download for Spyder/GT4. So, until that’s updated or our Spyder arrives I can only ask questions.

and the recommended fills of 29psi/front and 33psi/rear, GT cars wouldn't run in comfort mode...
718 standard pressure is 33/33 with comfort at 30/30. So 29/33 is ... neither. Interesting.
Old 08-11-2020, 02:34 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,377 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by worf928
Does the Spyder/GT4 no longer have TPMS screen in MFD? That allows setting standard vs comfort pressure? And partial load vs. full load?
981 GT4 never had those selections.
The following users liked this post:
Alan C. (08-12-2020)
Old 08-11-2020, 03:00 PM
iliveoncaffiene
Burning Brakes

Received 400 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by halfmonkey
I thought that's what's called for on the door card?
Notice I quoted OP where he mentioned it was 34/37 cold, which is what I was referring to when I said "too high"
Old 08-11-2020, 03:05 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,089 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
981 GT4 never had those selections.
Apparently.

But, most, if not every other, TPMS-equipped Porsche model do. Although the 981 didn't have a load selection choice.

Last edited by worf928; 08-11-2020 at 07:26 PM.
Old 08-11-2020, 04:52 PM
Roarke
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 17 Posts

I was full day on track and it was a little bit hot, i deflated tires several times and keep the door pressure (2.0/2.3) and looks like tires were very hot still.. maybe i was pushing too much or did something really bad with my driving style...Dunlops...

Old 08-11-2020, 05:07 PM
iliveoncaffiene
Burning Brakes

Received 400 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by Roarke
I was full day on track and it was a little bit hot, i deflated tires several times and keep the door pressure (2.0/2.3) and looks like tires were very hot still.. maybe i was pushing too much or did something really bad with my driving style...Dunlops...
They're going to be hot at the track, so the way they look is normal there (a little bit of a melted look).

Most notable is what looks like a clean area on the inside band of the tires? That would indicate an area that is not getting a lot of contact and would benefit from a camber adjustment.
Old 08-11-2020, 05:37 PM
Roarke
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by iliveoncaffiene
They're going to be hot at the track, so the way they look is normal there (a little bit of a melted look).

Most notable is what looks like a clean area on the inside band of the tires? That would indicate an area that is not getting a lot of contact and would benefit from a camber adjustment.
i think its melted too muc? My friend with GT3 has not melted tires and he was definitely faster than mr

and yes, fully stock setup now.. will be changed next week for next track day

Old 08-11-2020, 06:14 PM
SnoBdrAK
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Roarke

It can be a bit tricky to find the optimal HOT pressure (hot is what you're targeting on track; cold pressure is sort of incidental). I found the Dunlops (on a GT3) tended to like the the 34-36 psi range when hot. Assuming you're not interested in geeking out with a pyrometer to measure temps across each tire, the quick and dirty trick is to look at the pebble disbursement on the tires when you first come off track. If they're mainly concentrated in the middle, your pressures ended up too high. If they're mainly concentrated on the outside edges, with less in the middle, you were likely too low. Once you find a hot pressure range that seems to work evenly across the tire, you adjust your pressures while hot (eg add or remove air when you first come off track). Whatever they go back down to while you're waiting in the paddock to go out again, so be it. It's extremely difficult to anticipate hot pressures from simply setting the cold pressures (unless you're using nitrogen). And often what "feels" better isn't necessarily the pressure that's optimal for the tire's performance. Many people tend to undershoot because it makes the car feel more stable, when a more "slidy" pressure might actually be faster.

The pressures on the door are good for setting cold pressures when you're just driving on the street. On track, all bets are off. They're not a horrible place to start if you have no idea where to start for the track, but they will almost always lead to pressures that are too high (ideally you'd make one or two mid-session adjustments in the first session of the day). And if you had to err one way or another, I'd rather start at the door pressures than taking a bunch of air out and possibly risking the integrity of the tire because of under inflation.

Also, a tracked tire should look completely scorched across the surface; how "melted" the tire looks is not an indicator of optimal or sub-optimal pressure.
The following 3 users liked this post by SnoBdrAK:
Roarke (08-12-2020), Spaetzle Rocket (08-24-2021), worf928 (08-11-2020)
Old 08-11-2020, 06:17 PM
Borg1of5
Instructor

Received 128 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyE1976
It seems to want at least 31 F/37R, but I've been running 29/29 at autocross for a bit more grip. The race track function on the TPMS is handy to stop it complaining
Hi, just finished a 2 days session at the track with my Spyder, and I got a lots of alerts messages from the TPMS. I could not found the race track function. How to stop those TPMS messages?

Last edited by Borg1of5; 08-11-2020 at 06:24 PM.
Old 08-11-2020, 06:37 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 726 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by Borg1of5
Hi, just finished a 2 days session at the track with my Spyder, and I got a lots of alerts messages from the TPMS. I could not found the race track function. How to stop those TPMS messages?
Buy a GT4 or GT3.
I don't believe the Spyder has a track mode for TPMS.
Old 08-11-2020, 06:41 PM
4PTZERO
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Bill
Buy a GT4 or GT3.
waiiiit a second, there's a track mode for the TPMS in the GT3/4 etc. ? did not know that.
Old 08-11-2020, 06:57 PM
SnoBdrAK
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6MT
waiiiit a second, there's a track mode for the TPMS in the GT3/4 etc. ? did not know that.
There is, but the only thing it really does is allow the cold pressures to go lower before the car complains. If it actually disabled all TPMS warnings or something, it might be useful. But if you're still "too low", even with circuit pressures selected, the car still sets of warnings (sometimes even in the middle of the session once your pressures are well above where they were at the start).

Full disclosure: I have not tried it with the 718 GT4 yet, but I'm not holding my breath it'll be substantiately different.
Old 08-11-2020, 06:59 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,739 Likes on 2,756 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Bill
Buy a GT4 or GT3.
It doesn't...

Originally Posted by Flat6MT
I don't know about the GT3, bit's there on the 718 GT4:

Old 08-11-2020, 07:03 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,739 Likes on 2,756 Posts

Originally Posted by SnoBdrAK
There is, but the only thing it really does is allow the cold pressures to go lower before the car complains. If it actually disabled all TPMS warnings or something, it might be useful. But if you're still "too low", even with circuit pressures selected, the car still sets of warnings (sometimes even in the middle of the session once your pressures are well above where they were at the start).

Full disclosure: I have not tried it with the 718 GT4 yet, but I'm not holding my breath it'll be substantiately different.
I believe that you are not correct, you can actually set the pressure that you want to use for the race tires then if you have a substantial loss in pressure in a tire it will warn you.

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure