Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Track Precision App

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2021 | 09:28 PM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

I used v3.5 for 1 session this past Monday at Lime Rock. Everything was working fine while recording and timing the session, but back in the paddock after the session I noticed that a good portion of my laps had a weird icon on their bar graph bars. See below. They mean "Invalid lap." Anyone know WTF that means and why?

Old 06-22-2021 | 08:01 AM
joerg65
Instructor

I had the same thing happen to me last weekend on v3.5. Pretty disappointed as this was my best lap!

Also the app crashed whilst on track. I didn’t have either of these issues in the previous version.

Old 06-22-2021 | 08:04 AM
joerg65
Instructor

Just noticed there is a new version out 3.5.1. Hopefully this fixes the bug.
Old 06-22-2021 | 11:38 AM
phefner
Rennlist Member

I can see I'm going to regret loading this new version. Prior to 3.5 mine was fairly flawless.
Old 06-22-2021 | 12:05 PM
TDT
Burning Brakes

Default Explanation for Invalid lap from the previous version of PTPA....

Why are lap recordings greyed out or marked as invalid in the app selection menu?

If a recording is invalid, the lap must be measured again, as the lap length actually driven differs from the selected reference track (imported track or pre-recorded track).
If it is an imported track, it is recommended that you create the track again using the track editor ("Tracks" and "via Map" function).
If a pre-recorded track is selected, it is recommended that you check the track profile and make sure that the lap is driven according to this profile.

So you haven't driven the lap in a way that the app recognises from the GPS tracking data... could be variety of reasons for this... GPS refresh rate, signal drop out, app not processing quickly enough.. etc, etc

Last edited by TDT; 06-22-2021 at 12:07 PM.
Old 06-22-2021 | 12:43 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by joerg65
Just noticed there is a new version out 3.5.1. Hopefully this fixes the bug.
Android is currently at 3.5.2
Old 06-23-2021 | 09:32 AM
phefner
Rennlist Member

And I see Apple is at 3.5.1 .. loaded it and I still can review all prior data. Heading to the track this Sunday. Hope they haven't eff'd it. These events are costly and reliable data acquisition is a must, even for us hobbyists.

Still curious to see recent videos from Barber which don't look like they are using the Porsche Track Precision App.
Old 06-23-2021 | 08:10 PM
donR
Pro

I used an Iphone 8 with V 3.5 on the weekend set to flight mode and with everything else switched off or removed. Only short sessions but overall worked well. I did have to restart the ap once or twice and reconnect to the PCM as it wouldn't connect to the car but otherwise recorded some good lap data.

I really appreciate the time updates on my PCM during the lap but when you start running out of fuel the low fuel warning on the PCM is a real pain which would be good to know how to turn off. I have kept Advanced Timer features off for now as that seemed to cause crashes on the old version.

Otherwise here is my latest footage using extrnal camera GoPro 7 (hypersmooth turned off) and manual data import and sync later. The time data on the PCM also makes it a lot easier to sync the video with the time data from the AP when playing back the video. Also managed to catch a massive spin by a BMW at the end.

The following users liked this post:
phefner (06-23-2021)
Old 06-23-2021 | 08:28 PM
phefner
Rennlist Member

Nice video @donR ! Looks like you were using it via Apple CarPlay. I tried that but couldn’t get the iPhone camera to start. Did you sync the GoPro using a rendering software or the TrackPrecision App?

Nice track. Do you ever get out to Bathurst?
Old 06-23-2021 | 08:40 PM
donR
Pro

Originally Posted by phefner
Nice video @donR ! Looks like you were using it via Apple CarPlay. I tried that but couldn’t get the iPhone camera to start. Did you sync the GoPro using a rendering software or the TrackPrecision App?

Nice track. Do you ever get out to Bathurst?
Thanks, yes the App works very nice via Apple CarPlay and great to get the display on the PCM. I start the GoPro recording manually before the start of the session, then copy the gopro footage onto my phone and then select the video from within the Ap and sync there, then export the video. That's the only way to get the overlay of the car metric data. It is a bit of a tedious process but rewarding at the end. Also handy to have video editing software as often the GoPro footage of the session is in two pieces and needs to be put back together for the App, otherwise it will crash when trying to export the full video session. Otherwise the App can import video wirelessly from the GoPro but it is difficult to know which video is from which session as the times are not properly synced, unless they have fixed that problem in the latest revision.

I've been out to Bathurst a few times but as you might know it is a public road so not much opportunity to track there but there is Challenge Bathurst at the end of the year which is a supersprint which I might try to give a go.
The following users liked this post:
phefner (06-23-2021)
Old 06-28-2021 | 12:00 PM
phefner
Rennlist Member

Loaded up the Apple 3.5.1 Trace Precision and ran it at Road America yesterday. No issues on any session. I ran it connected to the PCM wirelessly, not thru Apple CarPlay. So I don't know if they fixed the video capture through CapPlay.

Only other bitch is they still will not let you export to MPH. Freaking tone deaf they are.

Last edited by phefner; 06-28-2021 at 12:01 PM.
Old 06-28-2021 | 12:51 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Loaded up the Apple 3.5.1 Trace Precision and ran it at Road America yesterday. No issues on any session. I ran it connected to the PCM wirelessly, not thru Apple CarPlay. So I don't know if they fixed the video capture through CapPlay.

Only other bitch is they still will not let you export to MPH. Freaking tone deaf they are.
I realize a conversion should be available but it it is not a hard calculate when viewing... probably KPH by default because just about everywhere else uses it.
Old 06-28-2021 | 12:57 PM
k.alexander
Instructor

What do you mean you ran it connected to pcm wirelessly?

Was trying to use it this Sat on a track that's not in its database. Was using it on PCM via CarPlay. Just forget it. The thing would not work. Trying to get it learn a lap by driving it: sometimes it wouldn't start recording the map of the track, more often, even if it started (or told you that it started recording the lap's map, nothing would actually move on the map and Start line indicator and your position would not move; yet other times when it would start recording the track's map and would move to follow the track (one time it disconnected mid way through, and many other times the Finish button on the screen would be frayed out or unresponsive. Can't tell you how many times I cursed that damn thing before I just gave up.
Old 06-28-2021 | 02:19 PM
phefner
Rennlist Member

Connect the phone to the PCM via WiFi and then run the Track Precision App from the iPhone. I have the iPhone tethered to the USB in the glovebox, so its always under power. Been working very well for me that way.

I've run it through the USB in the armrest to access CarPlay. But I wasn't able to get video to activate on the iPhone. There is a member above who did an external camera connection with CarPlay.
Old 06-28-2021 | 02:27 PM
phefner
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Westcoast
I realize a conversion should be available but it it is not a hard calculate when viewing... probably KPH by default because just about everywhere else uses it.
​​​​@Westcoast ...Outside of the US your mostly right. As an engineer I can quickly do the conversion, but I'd rather think in imperial, than metric. Its an easy fix/feature to flag in software. If I care enough, it won't be hard to switch over to a different data collection system.

Recall they tried moving the US to metric once before, long ago. It failed miserably. But hey, with this new "cancel" culture and "wok" thing; maybe someone is offended with us having the choice.

Last edited by phefner; 06-28-2021 at 02:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Track Precision App