Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Interior trim in leather with GT4/Spyder standard interior?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2020, 08:47 PM
TomTarzian
Drifting

Received 573 Likes on 391 Posts
Default Interior trim in leather with GT4/Spyder standard interior?

Anyone do interior trim in leather with the standard GT4/Spyder interior?

God bless,
TT
The following users liked this post:
evilfij (07-28-2020)
Old 07-28-2020, 10:16 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 622 Likes on 433 Posts

Have that on my GT3. Looks nice. Leather is smoother than the rubber dash, but it blends in more than any other choice.
Old 07-28-2020, 10:33 PM
TomTarzian
Drifting

Originally Posted by evilfij
Have that on my GT3. Looks nice. Leather is smoother than the rubber dash, but it blends in more than any other choice.
Thanks. By any chance could you post a picture?

God bless,
TT
Old 07-29-2020, 04:19 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TomTarzian
Thanks. By any chance could you post a picture?

God bless,
TT
I can get better ones next time I am in the car, but I am not a photographer. The area by the key shows it best.

Old 07-29-2020, 08:34 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

I feel that $2k for full leather is money well spent and one of the best bang/$ options on any $100k+ car.
Old 07-29-2020, 10:04 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hf1
I feel that $2k for full leather is money well spent and one of the best bang/$ options on any $100k+ car.
I sort of agree from a resale perspective as some people have this visceral reaction to a base interior car, except I find the standard Porsche leather to be mediocre at best and I don’t like alcantara which comes with the full cow for $2k. Natural leather (Espresso and cognac for example), club leather (992 cohiba or agave for example), and especially some of the leather to sample leathers (ascot brown for example) are so much nicer in feel/quality than standard Porsche leather. Any of those were available and I would have specced them.

To TT’s question, when my GT3 order was a GT3 before touring, I specced the base interior with dash/console leather because nothing else was black for dash/console (except painted interior which was too glossy for me and I was worried about fingerprints, scratches and durability) as standard was brushed aluminium and anthracite aluminum option was not dark enough and CF is not my thing. When touring came out with black aluminum as standard on dash/console (and doors if you do full cow), I seriously considered going with that with a base interior or go full cow because it no longer came with alcantara. My initial plan was to do full cow, leather door/dash/console and swap the dash and **** for wood kit from parts ($1300 or so) and the wood wheel like the 1,000,000 911, but I just don’t like the stock leather feel/quality seeing the upgraded options I mentioned above and really do like the rubber dash material so I went with what I did: base, free dash/console in leather. I liked it enough I never bothered to upgrade the dash to wood even though I did the wheel. (I will spare the story about ordering a C2 in leather to sample to swap the interior into my GT3 ....).

Like paint, interior choices are very personal, and absent some real mess up, there is not a wrong answer, it’s really down to taste. If my PTS color becomes available in the second batch, I will still do base interior and free door/dash in leather, I might CXX the seats, armrests, and grab handles in ascot brown, but probably not. I will probably just replace the armrests and grab handles with leather/vinyl after I get the car to get rid of the alcantara and swap in a wood wheel with the black center swapped onto it. I use vest type sheepskin to cover the centers of the LWB ($75 each on amazon, highly recommended for comfort).

Last edited by evilfij; 07-29-2020 at 10:10 AM.
Old 07-29-2020, 11:49 AM
TomTarzian
Drifting

I can get better ones next time I am in the car, but I am not a photographer. The area by the key shows it best.

Thanks so much. Ones that show more would be much appreciated...demanding, aren't I!

God bless,
TT
Old 07-29-2020, 12:06 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TomTarzian
Thanks so much. Ones that show more would be much appreciated...demanding, aren't I!

God bless,
TT
Ask and ye shall receive. To me, it’s the cleanest and simplest look.

The following 2 users liked this post by evilfij:
sonicworld (08-09-2020), wdr911 (07-29-2020)
Old 07-29-2020, 12:16 PM
TomTarzian
Drifting

Ask and ye shall receive. To me, it’s the cleanest and simplest look.

Wow, it looks great...and eliminates a bunch of Alcantara on the lower dash. Thanks so much for the extra photos.

God bless,
TT

Last edited by TomTarzian; 07-29-2020 at 12:24 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by TomTarzian:
evilfij (07-29-2020), wdr911 (07-29-2020)
Old 07-29-2020, 03:40 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

A useful, relevant discussion from next door. . With some nice pics. I believe the pics show how the silver (or colored trim) on the base interior makes it look cheap (racy, utilitarian) whereas the free dash/console classes it up a bit (for free). Also shows how the base eliminates most of the alcantara. But to each his own.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...-please-2.html

If you are wondering about the phrases, people coined “full cow” for leather interior, I went with “rubber dash” for the base interior.

Last edited by evilfij; 07-29-2020 at 03:47 PM.
Old 07-29-2020, 11:00 PM
TomTarzian
Drifting

A useful, relevant discussion from next door. . With some nice pics. I believe the pics show how the silver (or colored trim) on the base interior makes it look cheap (racy, utilitarian) whereas the free dash/console classes it up a bit (for free). Also shows how the base eliminates most of the alcantara. But to each his own.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...-please-2.html

If you are wondering about the phrases, people coined “full cow” for leather interior, I went with “rubber dash” for the base interior.
Thanks!

God bless,
TT
Old 08-09-2020, 10:13 PM
sonicworld
Pro

Received 200 Likes on 117 Posts

Leather trim on the dash does blend well in the Standard Interior. My only other concern would be does it blend ok with the vinyl trim on the doors?
evilfij (08-09-2020)
Old 08-09-2020, 10:56 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sonicworld
Leather trim on the dash does blend well in the Standard Interior. My only other concern would be does it blend ok with the vinyl trim on the doors?
Yes, it’s not an identical match and honestly I wish they did it in vinyl as I would have gotten that, but it’s close enough to the vinyl (just no texture) so it blends well.
wdr911 (08-10-2020)
Old 08-19-2020, 10:39 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 781 Likes on 454 Posts

I did that on my T. Looked stupid to me without full leather so i changed it to carbon. It looks really classy in cars with full leather tho
Old 08-19-2020, 10:42 PM
sonicworld
Pro

Received 200 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
I did that on my T. Looked stupid to me without full leather so i changed it to carbon. It looks really classy in cars with full leather tho
Interesting, I'm not sure I've ever seen Carbon Fiber on standard interior. I was considering it, do you have any pics of your interior posted so I can check it out?

Quick Reply: Interior trim in leather with GT4/Spyder standard interior?