Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Paint quality (stone chips)

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2020, 11:27 AM
s2kspyder
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Paint quality (stone chips)

Not sure if anyone else noticed but I had some bad luck with stone chips prior to getting the PPF on. Seems like the paint is very soft, much worst than other cars I have owned. I have miami blue so not sure if it is the colour itself.

Anyone else noticed? Probably greater than 50% owners get PPF and/or ceramic coat. But I would have expected more....
Old 07-24-2020, 11:28 AM
Sleepy996
Pro

Received 118 Likes on 56 Posts

You must be driving too fast.
Old 07-24-2020, 11:30 AM
iliveoncaffiene
Burning Brakes

Received 400 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by s2kspyder
Not sure if anyone else noticed but I had some bad luck with stone chips prior to getting the PPF on. Seems like the paint is very soft, much worst than other cars I have owned. I have miami blue so not sure if it is the colour itself.

Anyone else noticed? Probably greater than 50% owners get PPF and/or ceramic coat. But I would have expected more....
I wouldn't say it's "soft" really, but the difference to other cars you may have owned is how low the car is. You're going to encounter more stones than other, higher vehicles.
Combined with that, the "hips" of the Cayman/Boxster - even worse on the 911 - just invite stone chips along the rocker panels. Lastly, the curved under portion of body work behind the rear wheels is just asking to get pelted with stones.
You'll get stone chips even with a ceramic coat - coming from experience here. The only way you'll "prevent" them is a PPF.

Last edited by iliveoncaffiene; 07-24-2020 at 11:36 AM.
Old 07-24-2020, 11:31 AM
Borg1of5
Instructor

Received 128 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by s2kspyder

Yep, I had my White Spyder for 2 days, did 300km and my PPF guy told me that I had many chip on rocker a rear bumper! He told me not to expect long protection with the PPF without mud flap or something like that!
Old 07-24-2020, 11:48 AM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,719 Likes on 943 Posts

I agree with the above, but paint has gotten softer since the 9x7 generation. Formulas have changed due to the transition to eco friendly paints. Noticed a big difference from the 987 Spyder to the 981 Spyder. I think it is one of the reasons that a lot of owner apply ceramic coatings.
Old 07-24-2020, 11:57 AM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Received 833 Likes on 458 Posts

My 987 was a stone chip magnet, and AMG GT S is too, albeit to a lesser extent on the hood/bonnet. On my 987, I got on average one noticeable major stone chip on the bonnet or top of the bumper per 500 km driving. The reason they’re prone to stone chips is that the Boxster/Cayman/Spyder have low front ends that slope upwards, so they’re a prime target for stones. My BMW never got half as many stone chips because the bonnet is higher and flatter.

Paint protection film is essential on these cars, more so than ordinary cars, just because of their shape.

Last edited by wizee; 07-24-2020 at 12:32 PM.
Old 07-24-2020, 12:11 PM
CDACH
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 76 Posts

I'm considering putting Xpel Tracwrap or similar on at the dealership before I drive 10 feet! I have to drive about 100 miles home and then 50 to the PPF guy so I don't want suffer chips if I can avoid it. Some have advised to not leave the Tracwrap on for extended durations. Happy to hear experiences with this product for short term protection.
The following users liked this post:
n4v4nod (07-24-2020)
Old 07-24-2020, 12:15 PM
AndyE1976
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts

I somehow managed to not drive the car more than a few miles before PPF, but I noticed the PPF saved the front bumper within days (or hours) of it being fitted. Definitely an essential purchase.
Old 07-24-2020, 12:24 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,719 Likes on 943 Posts

Originally Posted by CDACH
I'm considering putting Xpel Tracwrap or similar on at the dealership before I drive 10 feet! I have to drive about 100 miles home and then 50 to the PPF guy so I don't want suffer chips if I can avoid it. Some have advised to not leave the Tracwrap on for extended durations. Happy to hear experiences with this product for short term protection.
This is my plan
Old 07-24-2020, 12:37 PM
katzndogs
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 27 Posts

I had my wrap guy wrap all leading edges of the vehicle before it left the dealership. Naively, I thought I could get away with leaving the rear bumper, rocker panels, and front fenders (behind front wheels) all exposed while I enjoyed the car for some time and wrap them down the road. Well, less than 25 miles in and I noticed some serious peppering on the paint behind the rear wheels and behind the front wheels and also on the rockers. I ended up getting the rest of the vehicle wrapped but the guy couldn't fit me in for another 3 weeks. I am amazed at the damage just from those 3 weeks of use... needless to say, I am glad she is all protected now and cant imagine what this car would look like after a few thousand miles if you don't have at least all lower portions protected.
Old 07-24-2020, 12:40 PM
blackholescion
Pro

Received 198 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Borg1of5
Yep, I had my White Spyder for 2 days, did 300km and my PPF guy told me that I had many chip on rocker a rear bumper! He told me not to expect long protection with the PPF without mud flap or something like that!
You can double wrap those areas with a thicker film that goes on top of the base film. This way you just replace those small strips instead of an entire panel of film. Just a thought.
Old 07-24-2020, 12:41 PM
_nosubstitute_
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

It surprises me people in this forum think PPF is a waste of money and that these cars don't get any noticeable nicks and stone chips...I regretted not getting a full PPF wrap on my last Porsche, not this time.
Old 07-24-2020, 12:58 PM
MEM82
Burning Brakes

Received 271 Likes on 151 Posts

Sorry to hear! I might be crazy but based on what I've been reading I contacted plycar and will have them ship my car 200 miles from dealer to PPF guy. I thought about track wrap but decided to ship.
Old 07-24-2020, 01:09 PM
s2kspyder
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Thank you everyone for quick reply! It seems consistent with everyone else experience but a little disappointed they Porsche went to eco-friendly/water based paint. I really recommend for anyone who wants a perfect paint to get PPF asap on all the critical areas before driving it. Lesson learned for myself. Also these sticky and wide rear tires throw a lot of rocks on the rear bumper. For anyone who tracks a lot, you will notice rock chips are common because of the sticky tires of cars in front. Tracwrap is not best looking, you can always go with XPEL 10mm vs. 8mm. I ended up getting ppf on bumper, hood, front fender, mirrors, windshield/A pillar, small section of rear bumper, full rocker with side vents, duckbill spoiler.
Old 07-24-2020, 02:34 PM
JAhmed
Drifting

Received 1,901 Likes on 792 Posts

I had the car flatbedded straight from delivery to the PPF shop, and will be doing double layer (tear offs) on the hips.
The following users liked this post:
DFW01TT (07-27-2020)

Quick Reply: Paint quality (stone chips)