Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

MSRP in California is possible for a Spyder

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2020, 02:01 AM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Received 1,804 Likes on 865 Posts
Default MSRP in California is possible for a Spyder

I've seen folks posting and asking about allocation and MSRP so thought I would share my experience in case it helps somebody.

So this is our first Porsche and hopefully not the last. I've been lurking and researching for a while and only recently got more serious because of COVID-19. I know prior to COVID-19, ADM were about $20k or so and so with COVID-19, we figured prices had to come down with people bailing on their builds and just not shopping in general. The stock market might be posting some impressive gains but with the economy slowing in many sectors, we thought it would be a good time to buy now vs waiting for later as there are so many variables. We didn't know how long the Spyder would be in production. We decided on Miami Blue and know the color will be replaced. We didn't know how much longer MSRP might be a viable reality.

I ended up drafting an email to send to all of the dealers in the area and without giving specific dealer names and such, I'll give you a breakdown. Feel free to PM if you'd like more specific information. I believe by not posting specific dealer names and such, this post is ok but if not, mods please let me know. The interesting thing with having PECLA that I learned from another thread is that I suppose I could have technically bought the car anywhere in the country and set up a PECLA delivery and then drove it home from there. This would have been an easy option but in my case not needed.

So I ended up sending 15 emails out and this is the breakdown of responses.

4 dealers didn't respond at all.
1 dealer responded and was very wishy-washy on the price. Wouldn't specifically say they were offering the car at MSRP or with ADM.
1 dealer responded and said we can lock in an allocation but price will be determined when the car is delivered. (Say what?!...uh no!)
2 dealers responded with $5k over.
1 dealer responded with $20k over.
6 dealers responded with MSRP.

Good luck to those still in the hunt. We are officially in V110 status.
The following 3 users liked this post by halfmonkey:
AlexCeres (07-09-2021), CDACH (07-12-2020), LnC993 (07-12-2020)
Old 07-12-2020, 02:24 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,022 Likes on 2,292 Posts

Well at least 40% of the dealers offered MSRP. That dealer who wants $20k is smoking crack. haha I think the %s are higher for out-of-state dealers for finding an MSRP allocation for a GT4 or Spyder.
Old 07-12-2020, 02:26 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Hell i was at my dealer this week getting a few things done to my daily and chatting with my sales rep said she could get one at msrp. Had a 981 spyder Great car But i burn too easy.
The following users liked this post:
PorschePaul (07-12-2020)
Old 07-12-2020, 02:53 AM
RavinS4
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

I am in California as well and just got MSRP allocation on a GT4. Had to shop around being in Socal and ended up getting mine from Northern California and am doing PECLA since it only a couple hundred more than shipping it down. I had offers from $15k ADM to $5k in Socal before I got MSRP.
Old 07-12-2020, 02:59 AM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Received 1,804 Likes on 865 Posts

Originally Posted by RavinS4
I am in California as well and just got MSRP allocation on a GT4. Had to shop around being in Socal and ended up getting mine from Northern California and am doing PECLA since it only a couple hundred more than shipping it down. I had offers from $15k ADM to $5k in Socal before I got MSRP.
Congrats! When is your expected delivery date? When did you begin your shopping to get $5k to $15k ADM offers?
Old 07-12-2020, 03:42 AM
RavinS4
Instructor

Originally Posted by halfmonkey
Congrats! When is your expected delivery date? When did you begin your shopping to get $5k to $15k ADM offers?
My delivery date is December 4th at the dealership supposedly. I started getting quotes about a bit over a week ago and got those $5k, $10k and $15k ADM quotes. On the advice of an RL member I reached out to a dealership up north that I had talked to earlier about a GT3 and he came right back with the MSRP offer.
Old 07-12-2020, 09:04 AM
rooster17
Pro

Received 595 Likes on 235 Posts

You can order from any dealer in the country and have it “courtesy delivered” to another dealer. You don’t have to do a PEC location to order remotely.

As I understand it, the delivered to dealer does not have to accept the delivery and can also charge you separately from your purchasing dealer.

I am currently doing this. Car is being purchased on the east coast and will be delivered to the gulf coast. I could not find a allocation in my area.
Old 07-12-2020, 11:35 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by RavinS4
My delivery date is December 4th at the dealership supposedly. I started getting quotes about a bit over a week ago and got those $5k, $10k and $15k ADM quotes. On the advice of an RL member I reached out to a dealership up north that I had talked to earlier about a GT3 and he came right back with the MSRP offer.
Assume that was Monterey. I passed on that allocation a while back due to timing.

MSRP allocations are available if you’re willing to wait a while.
Old 07-12-2020, 12:46 PM
Gatch
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Indeed. I can attest to this. I had no trouble asking for an MSRP build because my delivery won’t be until Spring of 2021. Supply & Demand of course but I also think dealers are happy to take more orders regardless in these uncertain times.
Old 07-12-2020, 01:25 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,609 Likes on 2,347 Posts

Originally Posted by halfmonkey
I've seen folks posting and asking about allocation and MSRP so thought I would share my experience in case it helps somebody.

So this is our first Porsche and hopefully not the last. I've been lurking and researching for a while and only recently got more serious because of COVID-19. I know prior to COVID-19, ADM were about $20k or so and so with COVID-19, we figured prices had to come down with people bailing on their builds and just not shopping in general. The stock market might be posting some impressive gains but with the economy slowing in many sectors, we thought it would be a good time to buy now vs waiting for later as there are so many variables. We didn't know how long the Spyder would be in production. We decided on Miami Blue and know the color will be replaced. We didn't know how much longer MSRP might be a viable reality.

I ended up drafting an email to send to all of the dealers in the area and without giving specific dealer names and such, I'll give you a breakdown. Feel free to PM if you'd like more specific information. I believe by not posting specific dealer names and such, this post is ok but if not, mods please let me know. The interesting thing with having PECLA that I learned from another thread is that I suppose I could have technically bought the car anywhere in the country and set up a PECLA delivery and then drove it home from there. This would have been an easy option but in my case not needed.

So I ended up sending 15 emails out and this is the breakdown of responses.

4 dealers didn't respond at all.
1 dealer responded and was very wishy-washy on the price. Wouldn't specifically say they were offering the car at MSRP or with ADM.
1 dealer responded and said we can lock in an allocation but price will be determined when the car is delivered. (Say what?!...uh no!)
2 dealers responded with $5k over.
1 dealer responded with $20k over.
6 dealers responded with MSRP.

Good luck to those still in the hunt. We are officially in V110 status.
I think it would be acceptable to publish the names of the MSRP dealerships ... there is nothing negative about doing so, quite the opposite in fact its a PSA.

(and we should run a competition to guess who the 20k DM was, my vote: Porsche of Redwood City)
The following users liked this post:
Curvesurfer (07-31-2020)
Old 07-12-2020, 01:26 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,609 Likes on 2,347 Posts

Assume that was Monterey. I passed on that allocation a while back due to timing.

I think its was... as I recommended the RavinS4 to try there since I was aware they may have had an allocation open
Old 07-12-2020, 01:46 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,022 Likes on 2,292 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I think it would be acceptable to publish the names of the MSRP dealerships ... there is nothing negative about doing so, quite the opposite in fact its a PSA.

(and we should run a competition to guess who the 20k DM was, my vote: Porsche of Redwood City)
My guess is McKenna.
Old 07-12-2020, 02:14 PM
RavinS4
Instructor

Yup that was the dealership.
Old 07-12-2020, 03:02 PM
Gatch
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable

I second this! Had to be Redwood City
Old 07-12-2020, 06:35 PM
aurieg92
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

MSRP Spyder was sitting on the floor at south bay area dealer. gone now

Quick Reply: MSRP in California is possible for a Spyder