Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Gearbox and re-gear

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2020, 10:04 PM
ForeverCar
Burning Brakes

Received 454 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Bill
I imagine the auto blip function is based on some switch connected to the clutch, so it has no relationship to the gear stack. Same as doing it yourself - gears don't matter.
As a human driver, one can adapt to the new ratio. How does the auto blip adjust the target to a lower rpm?

I can imagine adaptive implementation but I doubt Porsche would implement that in anticipation of gear ratio change.
Old 07-10-2020, 10:33 PM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Received 826 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by ForeverCar
As a human driver, one can adapt to the new ratio. How does the auto blip adjust the target to a lower rpm?

I can imagine adaptive implementation but I doubt Porsche would implement that in anticipation of gear ratio change.
My guess is that when gear ratios are changed, it’ll blip to the wrong RPM, but most don’t notice as manual blips are pretty inaccurate too.
The following users liked this post:
ForeverCar (07-10-2020)
Old 07-10-2020, 10:59 PM
ForeverCar
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by wizee
My guess is that when gear ratios are changed, it’ll blip to the wrong RPM, but most don’t notice as manual blips are pretty inaccurate too.
That is what I suspect. For the most part, tightening the split means stock auto blip targets will be a tad high and not a big deal. Nothing a bit of timing/clutch slip/synchro can’t handle. Not ideal but likely okay to most (not for me though).

It will be a bit more problematic for those that increased the 5th to 6th split. This way, if auto blip target doesn’t change from stock, 6th to 5th down shift will blip to rpm that is not high enough. Timing won’t help here but synchro/clutch slip can deal with it.

Not making judgments here as I just want to find accurate information.
Old 07-11-2020, 03:42 AM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by JAhmed
DeMan has a solution for the mainshaft gears.
When I checked last time, they had modified 2 - 4 or something like that. But, those ratios are designed for 4.0 conversion, not for stock 3.8. So, the Vmax for 3.8 may not be optimal. Also, even for 4.0, the Vmax are not that much lower from stock. At least, not low-enough for me. So, still won't meet my requirements. I need to talk to them to see what they can do. I was all set to change the Final Drive ratio this summer for the 981; then, the Covid thing put a break on my conversion road trip! All I care is low 1 - 3!

Old 08-04-2020, 12:17 PM
Rick DeMan
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 654 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by JAhmed
DeMan has a solution for the mainshaft gears.

Autoblip apparently works perfectly on the modified gearing cars.

@DeMan Motorsport can verify I am sure.
Yes, the short 2-5 gears work PERFECTLY without any issues whatsoever with the Auto Blip. Perfectly, not a single issue, no problems, how many ways can I say it? Works as delivered from the factory!!
Don't ask how the factory engineers made the math for this to work out, nobody knows..

But I can tell you after many installations its been perfect every time.

Rick DeMan

DeMan Motorsport
Upper Nyack, NY
845 727 3070
Porsche Sales & Service
Porsche Race services and parts
www.DeManMotorsport.com
SFZ GT3 (08-07-2020)
Old 08-04-2020, 04:05 PM
ForeverCar
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rick DeMan
Yes, the short 2-5 gears work PERFECTLY without any issues whatsoever with the Auto Blip. Perfectly, not a single issue, no problems, how many ways can I say it? Works as delivered from the factory!!
Don't ask how the factory engineers made the math for this to work out, nobody knows..

But I can tell you after many installations its been perfect every time.
Thanks Rick for chiming in (my posts were prior to our email discussion).

With your fantastic reputation, I'm happy to take your word for it without the need to understand how it is implemented.

After putting 800+ miles one the car, I find the stock ratios to work quite well for how I used the car. Of course, it doesn’t mean I won’t get bored and want to change it just for the different experience.
Old 08-05-2020, 12:30 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,022 Likes on 2,292 Posts

One cheaper solution is just to opt for a PDK like I did.
Old 08-05-2020, 06:47 PM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,274 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
One cheaper solution is just to opt for a PDK like I did.
It's going to be very interesting to see how PDK spyder/gt4 perfomance looks vs manual. Have any pdk versions been tested yet with the new powertrain?
Old 08-05-2020, 06:48 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,609 Likes on 2,347 Posts

Originally Posted by slc4s
It's going to be very interesting to see how PDK spyder/gt4 perfomance looks vs manual. Have any pdk versions been tested yet with the new powertrain?
none publically that I am aware of - not sure that production has started yet...
Old 08-05-2020, 06:57 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

So looks like for the other models (same trannies) the difference between manual and PDK (0-60) is quoted by Porsche as 0.4sec faster, if that's the case then the PDK car would post a 3.9 0-60 ...
Old 08-05-2020, 06:58 PM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Received 826 Likes on 453 Posts

We know nothing about the PDK in the GT4/Spyder. We don’t know what kind of PDK it is (regular or PDK-S), we don’t know the gear ratios, we don’t know what it weighs, and we don’t know anything about its performance. Outside the USA, PDK availability has not even been announced for the GT4/Spyder.
Old 08-05-2020, 07:05 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,017 Likes on 2,837 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
So looks like for the other models (same trannies) the difference between manual and PDK (0-60) is quoted by Porsche as 0.4sec faster, if that's the case then the PDK car would post a 3.9 0-60 ...
In this case, they electronically juiced the torque curve a bit for PDK (so delta could be wider than usual).
Old 08-06-2020, 06:03 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GrantG
In this case, they electronically juiced the torque curve a bit for PDK (so delta could be wider than usual).
interesting - I guess we will have to wait and see!!! 0.4secs seems like a small delta, about the difference between a PDK shift and a *very* fast manual shift ... if in fact a shift occurred?
Old 08-07-2020, 10:15 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,694 Likes on 2,731 Posts

Originally Posted by the_rider
As you already know, you will lose the powertrain warranty if the transmission is modified. The issue "tall gearing" seems to mean different things to different people. To me, tall gearing means the speed is much higher to be able to shift at or just past the peak power RPM. I want lower Vmax in gears 1-3. Gears 1 and 2 are on the mainshaft. So, will need to change the mainshaft as well. Changing the Final Drive ratio cuts the Vmax across the board. However, the Pinion will have accelerated wear, as compared to stock, even for spirited street driving. Ideally, mainshaft+first-3 gears would be preferred. If DeMan or GT Gears don't make them, then Final Drive ratio from AutoQuest. I plan to talk to these companies at some point. The stock gearing will simply NOT work for me! But, I might wait until powertrain warranty runs out!
Suggest that you drive it first, I was worried as well but not any more, I am talking about on the street and doing the twisties, actually did one of my favorite roads last week, all in the same gear, with the torque on hand all I did was modulate the throttle and steer, amazing drive!

Originally Posted by Croc999
i actually not bothered with long first 3 gears.
at least so far....
Have to agree, so far it has been a non-issue...
Old 08-10-2020, 12:50 AM
vtmikev
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It was an issue on the 981 GT4 and my 981 Spyder. I see no issue on my 718 GT4. Multiple Owners of the 981 GT4 Have driven y 718 GT4 and agree that in the new model you just power through Second into 3rd then 4th. Totally dfferent from 981
Croc999 (08-10-2020)

Quick Reply: Gearbox and re-gear