Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

How many years should the plastic window last on the Spyder?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2020, 09:29 PM
Gatch
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by vcp13
After 350 miles in Spyder I have not noticed window at all cause c'mon it's a crime to drive it top up
Somewhat serious question...can the top be stored down for long periods of time? I'd imagine the owner's manual mentions something about this, and in theory it would be nice to keep the top down while in the garage (maybe with a dust cover?), but I can't help but think wrinkles or marks could form long-term unless it's pretty rugged.
Old 07-03-2020, 10:02 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Received 1,800 Likes on 864 Posts

Originally Posted by Gatch
Somewhat serious question...can the top be stored down for long periods of time? I'd imagine the owner's manual mentions something about this, and in theory it would be nice to keep the top down while in the garage (maybe with a dust cover?), but I can't help but think wrinkles or marks could form long-term unless it's pretty rugged.
I would think that when parking it in the garage that can cycle hot and cold between days and nights and also could be extreme depending on part of the country, it might be better to park in garage with top up just so the plastic window isn't "squished" in the top down compartment with creases and such. As the plastic will be affected between the hot and cold, I think leaving it with the top down will only accelerate needing to replace it as the creases and weight from the top down and hot and cold cycle temps will wear down the plastic faster.
Old 07-04-2020, 12:01 AM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

The Spyder's plastic window will be fine. It folds flat when you lower the top. Doesn't get scratched after being laid down. In almost 5 years of usage (981), not a single problem. Visibility is fine as well. It's a brilliant shape, matching the inside rear mirror; the entire mirror's view is covered! Since it gets laid flat, one could theoretically replace it with a glass window. But, I wouldn't worry about it. In my view, they could have tried harder to make the top even lighter along the lines of 987 gen, but simpler.

The 986's plastic window used to get fogged on the inside from some sort of mist from the engine; don't remember what it was. I used Plexus to wipe off periodically. I don't think it ever got dull or turned yellowish.
The following users liked this post:
Gatch (07-05-2020)
Old 07-05-2020, 06:30 AM
aurieg92
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

'89 cabriolet with plastic window and it's holding fine-- still keeps out the rain.
Old 07-05-2020, 07:19 PM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Received 1,568 Likes on 662 Posts

With all the regulations and mandates on car safety equipment, it’s pretty hard to believe that a rear window defogger isn’t required.

Also, while it’s good to hear that the plastic doesn’t seem to be prone to yellowing, I can’t imagine it not being prone to scratching. I think I’d even be afraid to wipe it dry with a microfiber cloth after a washing, let alone trying to remove bird crap, sap, or the like. Granted, with the window being nearly vertical and so small, it’s unlikely for anything much to get on it, but sooner or later, it will happen. And forget about scraping ice if you plan on winter use! I can’t wait for my Spyder to arrive, but the plastic window is really idiotic. It’s also a missed opportunity for Porsche to make another $750 on every Spyder it sells. If a glass rear window with a defogger was an option available for $750, how many would not buy it? It couldn’t possibly add more than 3 lbs to the car. I guess that 18 way seats and the Burmeister system each add about 25 Lbs. Actually, with all those speakers, the Bose and Burmeister must add More than 25 lbs. The weight saving argument for the plastic rear window is 100% BS.
Old 07-05-2020, 11:44 PM
vcp13
Rennlist Member

Received 450 Likes on 221 Posts

Like all of you I am type-a and sweat the details so as you consider a Spyder I understand your considering every little thing.

Ok, that said, the window is inconsequential. I have not thought about it once in 400 miles.

Don't over think it.
Gatch (07-06-2020)
Old 07-06-2020, 04:15 AM
Jawnathin
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 56 Posts

Agreed with the posters saying not to worry about it.

The window on my 4 year old 981 Spyder has no sign of wear, either scratches or yellowing. It is relatively hard, thick and does not bend. It resembles acrylic. Very different from the thin flexible folding windows you see on most convertibles. I expect other parts of the top to wear before the window does.
Gatch (07-06-2020)
Old 07-06-2020, 05:10 AM
carrerafanboy
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

If you're worried about it, consider having ceramic coating applied. Should help mitigate UV degradation (yellowing or cracking). Or perhaps 303 Aerospace Protectant.
Old 07-06-2020, 09:32 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,637 Likes on 2,703 Posts

Originally Posted by carrerafanboy
If you're worried about it, consider having ceramic coating applied. Should help mitigate UV degradation (yellowing or cracking). Or perhaps 303 Aerospace Protectant.
I will inquire about ceramic coating on the rear window when it is for the PPF, the less you touch a plastic window the better.

I DO NOT recommend 303 Protectant it will leave behind a non-clear residue!

Quick Reply: How many years should the plastic window last on the Spyder?