Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Smoking package? Is it the only way to get 12v to use with battery maintainer?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2020, 03:47 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Received 1,804 Likes on 865 Posts
Default Smoking package? Is it the only way to get 12v to use with battery maintainer?

WIth the smoking package, I understand that instead of the blank space, you get a cover and a 12v cigarette lighter. Without the smoking package, is the empty space large enough to act as a 3rd cup holder like for a coca-cola can or a Starbucks drink?

With the smoking package, does it also include a tray of some sort for cigarette ashes? I don't smoke so would not need the tray but just asking to see exactly what comes with the package?

On a side note as this car would be a once in a while driven car, investing in a battery maintainer will be a good idea. I found that Porsche offers one that appears to have the option of plugging it into the 12v cigarette lighter to maintain the charge of the battery. Is that to say that if I don't option the smoking package, I would have to make a direct connection to the battery terminals under the frunk unless I get the smoking package?
Old 07-01-2020, 03:51 PM
iliveoncaffiene
Burning Brakes

Received 399 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by halfmonkey
Without the smoking package, is the empty space large enough to act as a 3rd cup holder like for a coca-cola can or a Starbucks drink?
It may fit width-wise, but I would never put a drink there. It's way too shallow (like 1.5"?) and would get in the way of shifting if there were a drink there.

Just get the smoking package - it's free.
Old 07-01-2020, 03:58 PM
AndyE1976
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts

You definitely can't fit a drink in the area where the smoking package goes - it would be a really bad idea and that's why they give you 2 cup-holders.

There is a power socket in the glovebox even if you don't get the smoking package, but a lot of people get it because its free, completes the center console and gives you another power socket.

I'd also get the passenger footwell luggage net because it's also free. I use it to hold my empty Yeti when going to cars and coffee events to stop it rolling around the floor.
Old 07-01-2020, 03:58 PM
Illusive991
Racer

Received 229 Likes on 124 Posts

WIth the smoking package, I understand that instead of the blank space, you get a cover and a 12v cigarette lighter. Without the smoking package, is the empty space large enough to act as a 3rd cup holder like for a coca-cola can or a Starbucks drink?

With the smoking package, does it also include a tray of some sort for cigarette ashes? I don't smoke so would not need the tray but just asking to see exactly what comes with the package?

On a side note as this car would be a once in a while driven car, investing in a battery maintainer will be a good idea. I found that Porsche offers one that appears to have the option of plugging it into the 12v cigarette lighter to maintain the charge of the battery. Is that to say that if I don't option the smoking package, I would have to make a direct connection to the battery terminals under the frunk unless I get the smoking package?
Without the smoking package, the pocket in that space is not large enough to hold a normal can of pop or a starbucks drink. I suspect it can only hold a small can of Japanese coffee at best. You can't fit a phone in there comfortably unless you're using one of those really small Motorola flip phones from the early 2000's.

With the smoking package, there is a small ash tray that can be pulled out and cleaned; you get a cigarette outlet and that small removable ash tray, but the biggest plus is that you get the flip cover that fills in the hole where its located.

If you're worried about the battery going dead between drives or are storing for the winter, definitely get a battery maintainer (Porsche or Noco or any other brand); it comes standard with a cigarette plug which can be used either with the smoking package or (correct me if I'm wrong, but basing it off of a 991.1) another outlet inside of the centre console. Porsche (and others) also sells a converter from the cigarette plug to alligator clips so that you can connect it to the battery terminals in the frunk as an alternative (what I do).
Old 07-01-2020, 04:02 PM
blackholescion
Pro

Received 198 Likes on 107 Posts

I don't have my car handy but I do believe there is a removable cover. See here:

https://m.flickr.com/photos/40183048@N06/8652852548/lightbox/
https://m.flickr.com/photos/40183048@N06/8652864708/lightbox/
https://m.flickr.com/photos/40183048@N06/8652850114/lightbox/
For battery tender, there is a 12V socket in the passenger footwell specifically for the purpose. Obviously you can use it for power, but it's where the battery tender goes. This is on the car regardless of smoking package.

Personally, the cover looks better than an open hole.
Old 07-01-2020, 04:14 PM
SpyderSwede
Advanced

Received 54 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm pretty sure you cannot charge the battery through the cigarette lighter socket , it needs to be charged directly on the battery, I'm sure someone can confirm or deny this 😎
Old 07-01-2020, 04:15 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by blackholescion
I don't have my car handy but I do believe there is a removable cover. See here:

https://m.flickr.com/photos/40183048...2548/lightbox/

https://m.flickr.com/photos/40183048...4708/lightbox/

https://m.flickr.com/photos/40183048...0114/lightbox/

For battery tender, there is a 12V socket in the passenger footwell specifically for the purpose. Obviously you can use it for power, but it's where the battery tender goes. This is on the car regardless of smoking package.

Personally, the cover looks better than an open hole.
When you have a chance, can you take a picture of the 12v in the footwell to share?
Old 07-01-2020, 04:18 PM
blackholescion
Pro

Received 198 Likes on 107 Posts

When you have a chance, can you take a picture of the 12v in the footwell to share?
Not a 718, but same location.

https://www.planet-9.com/attachments...ell-jpg.98489/
Old 07-01-2020, 04:20 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SpyderSwede
I'm pretty sure you cannot charge the battery through the cigarette lighter socket , it needs to be charged directly on the battery, I'm sure someone can confirm or deny this 😎
I didn't even know this was a possibility until I found the one that Porsche sells and then I did some searching online from the major battery maintainers and apparently, many of them provide the option of a 12v connector to charge a battery. Didn't even know the 12v could receive electricity and pass through to the battery. Thought you could only plug something in to take electricity. I guess I would have to assume that by charging and maintaining through the 12v, it won't damage any of the car's electronics or the battery itself vs charging and maintaining through the actual battery terminals in the frunk. Otherwise, Porsche wouldn't be offering this item for sale.
Old 07-01-2020, 04:21 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by blackholescion
Appreciate your help. Thanks everybody for responding and being so helpful. I'm definitely learning so much from this forum.
Old 07-01-2020, 04:24 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Illusive991
Without the smoking package, the pocket in that space is not large enough to hold a normal can of pop or a starbucks drink. I suspect it can only hold a small can of Japanese coffee at best. You can't fit a phone in there comfortably unless you're using one of those really small Motorola flip phones from the early 2000's.

With the smoking package, there is a small ash tray that can be pulled out and cleaned; you get a cigarette outlet and that small removable ash tray, but the biggest plus is that you get the flip cover that fills in the hole where its located.

If you're worried about the battery going dead between drives or are storing for the winter, definitely get a battery maintainer (Porsche or Noco or any other brand); it comes standard with a cigarette plug which can be used either with the smoking package or (correct me if I'm wrong, but basing it off of a 991.1) another outlet inside of the centre console. Porsche (and others) also sells a converter from the cigarette plug to alligator clips so that you can connect it to the battery terminals in the frunk as an alternative (what I do).
If you have a chance, do you mind taking a picture of your battery maintainer set up as you connect it directly to the battery terminals in the frunk? It's my understanding you have to remove the plastic piece in the frunk to get to the battery unless are there easy to access battery terminal posts that are still accessible with the plastic trim in place.
Old 07-01-2020, 04:39 PM
OttawaSteve
Burning Brakes

Received 581 Likes on 314 Posts

You don't need the smoking package outlet to use a battery maintainer. Works just fine through the passenger footwell socket or you can connect and leave clips on the battery. If you buy the right maintainer, it comes with all the correct adapters. You can give Porsche a lot of money and get one with Porsche on the side, or you can buy the same product with CTEK branding (they make them for Porsche) for half the cost. I used a CTEK Multi US 3300 last winter (about $110 CDN) conneted through the footwell outlet. Worked perfectly. I am pretty sure that you could also use the outlet that comes with the smoking package, but my Cayman doesn't have it.

I would still get the smoking package. The open tray is pretty much useless. I put spare coins in it, but considering how seldom I use change I would certainly not miss it and the extra outlet would be handy.
Old 07-01-2020, 04:43 PM
Illusive991
Racer

Received 229 Likes on 124 Posts

If you have a chance, do you mind taking a picture of your battery maintainer set up as you connect it directly to the battery terminals in the frunk? It's my understanding you have to remove the plastic piece in the frunk to get to the battery unless are there easy to access battery terminal posts that are still accessible with the plastic trim in place.
I sold my 991 last year in preparation for the GT4 and never took a picture of the setup, but you're correct; you'll need to remove the plastic trim piece to gain access to the battery terminals to attach the alligator clamps. Before I got the clamps, I just plugged into the cigarette outlet in the centre console and it worked fine for the winter.

If you don't want to remove the plastic trim piece every time, you can always wire up the terminals to a connector that you can then attach to the tender; NOCO or CTEK battery tenders have these quick connects to swap between 12V, alligator clamps, etc.:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1108...terminals.html

Old 07-01-2020, 04:58 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,697 Likes on 2,734 Posts

Originally Posted by SpyderSwede
!00% confirmed that you CAN use this with the charger, I do it all of the time...
Old 07-01-2020, 04:58 PM
DFW01TT
Burning Brakes

Received 531 Likes on 317 Posts

The battery tender is a good idea. The battery on my 981 died in year 3 and I was told that Porsche doesn't warranty the battery if you drive less 5,000 miles per year.

Quick Reply: Smoking package? Is it the only way to get 12v to use with battery maintainer?