Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

JANKO REVIEWS GT4

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2020, 10:24 AM
works_team
Racer

Received 103 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by ISPYA718
It does change the driving technique then. It will feel awkward downshifting into first as part of “normal driving.”
This actually works very well with auto-blip on. Same as on my (PDK) Macan.
The following 2 users liked this post by works_team:
FASTRKMAN (06-26-2020), Roarke (06-26-2020)
Old 06-26-2020, 11:31 AM
Jim Rockford
Burning Brakes

Received 493 Likes on 265 Posts

Fair enough I haven’t driven it yet to say, so thanks to those who have and have made comment. I think pulling around town maybe you more frequently stay in first gear when in basically every other car you’d move to second but the downshifting to first thing still seems extreme. Maybe for auto crossing or something there is a usage case but there’s no lap timers on the street so unless the downshift to first turns out buttery smooth then I can’t see making a habit of it. Auto blip may give you the perfect rev match every time to make just that happen but I’ll have to make determination when I get hands on the car. I’ve yet to drive a car that feels happy making a 2-1 downshift.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jim Rockford:
FASTRKMAN (06-26-2020), RonLu (06-26-2020)
Old 06-26-2020, 01:31 PM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,266 Likes on 638 Posts

I don't think he likes the comfort seats
Old 06-26-2020, 02:14 PM
KenTO
Burning Brakes

Received 543 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by ISPYA718
It does change the driving technique then. It will feel awkward downshifting into first as part of “normal driving.” I think it will take me some time to get use to, get over the mental aspect of shifting into first and reprogram my old brain
Same here, also so much for the “break in” when I get my car.
Old 06-26-2020, 02:52 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,589 Likes on 2,335 Posts

Originally Posted by slc4s
I don't think he likes the comfort seats
agreed, however I disagree with his opinion that if you want sofas you should spec a GTS instead of a Spyder/GT4 ... while I agree that the LWBS connect the driver to the dynamics of the car better than sofas, some people either because of anatomy or health issues (arthritis) might find the LWBS uncomfortable - you shouldn't choose your car based on your seating preference! YMMV
The following users liked this post:
DFW01TT (06-27-2020)
Old 06-26-2020, 04:39 PM
iliveoncaffiene
Burning Brakes

Received 397 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Rockford
Fair enough I haven’t driven it yet to say, so thanks to those who have and have made comment. I think pulling around town maybe you more frequently stay in first gear when in basically every other car you’d move to second but the downshifting to first thing still seems extreme. Maybe for auto crossing or something there is a usage case but there’s no lap timers on the street so unless the downshift to first turns out buttery smooth then I can’t see making a habit of it. Auto blip may give you the perfect rev match every time to make just that happen but I’ll have to make determination when I get hands on the car. I’ve yet to drive a car that feels happy making a 2-1 downshift.
There's a good bit of resistance in the shifter when going 2-1 (just in physically moving the ****).
As for going in first around town: no. There's plenty of torque that you can short shift into 2nd and use that for putzing around at slow speeds.
Old 06-26-2020, 05:46 PM
vince993tt
Instructor

Received 85 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
agreed, however I disagree with his opinion that if you want sofas you should spec a GTS instead of a Spyder/GT4 ... while I agree that the LWBS connect the driver to the dynamics of the car better than sofas, some people either because of anatomy or health issues (arthritis) might find the LWBS uncomfortable - you shouldn't choose your car based on your seating preference! YMMV
I agree. I once drove 4 hours to pick up a barely used GT4 with the buckets, and ended up unwinding the deal and driving home without the car. I'm average size and weight (5'11", 180 lbs), but those seats were incredibly uncomfortable for me. I needed more recline, and of course, there is none. Also, no lumbar support adjustment either, of course. So it really is a person by person issue. No one should buy the buckets without a good trial in them first. I also have an Alfa 4C, and those seats are pretty thin with little padding. But, despite my back problems, I find them quite comfortable, even for long trips. As a result, my 718 Spyder is coming with the 18 way seats, which I loved on my 981 Spyder. I'd love to have the better connection to the road that the buckets provide, but not at the expense of being miserable and therefore limited to short drives only.
The following 2 users liked this post by vince993tt:
DFW01TT (06-27-2020), wcw67 (06-27-2020)
Old 06-26-2020, 06:09 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,637 Likes on 2,703 Posts

Great review, he really does get into the delivery of the information, he lives it in a way that is unlike other reviewers.

I didn't think that the GT4 used a sound symposer, (15:20+) does the Spyder as well?
Old 06-27-2020, 12:49 AM
DFW01TT
Burning Brakes

Received 529 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
G...
I didn't think that the GT4 used a sound symposer, (15:20+) does the Spyder as well?
I searched the 43 page Spyder sales brochure and there was not a mention of a symposer.
Old 06-27-2020, 02:32 AM
s2kspyder
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

While downshifting back to first may seem unnatural, it is doable and something you could get used to. Remember if you autocross your car, you may very very have to use first gear! Just saying we should not be afraid to do so if needed.
Old 06-27-2020, 03:22 AM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

The Sound Composer could be an undocumented feature of GT4. I would hate it! Thankfully, he says Spyder doesn't have it. Porsche is just cheating to create the aural excitement in the cabin! It actually explains when people claim that it sounds better in the cabin; now we know why!! I did ask this question earlier.

As for the shifting down to first, I do all the time, when warranted, with cars and motorcycles. It comes down to RPM and to be in the torque range. Of course, rev matching is key (no, I don't use Auto Blip). If I sense that I could get to around 4k in 1st, will definitely downshift. On motorcycles, I'll have even more RPM to play with after downshifting (due to higher redline). If you don't downshift into 1st, you could be lugging in 2nd and lose the spirited acceleration (power band) out of the turn/corner. Besides, you'll have additional opportunities to enjoy the glorious soundtrack: matching the revs when downshifting, getting close to limiter in 1st and bit of a blip when up-shifting. Win-Win!

Last edited by spyderphile; 06-27-2020 at 03:50 AM.
Old 06-27-2020, 10:11 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,637 Likes on 2,703 Posts

Originally Posted by s2kspyder
While downshifting back to first may seem unnatural, it is doable and something you could get used to. Remember if you autocross your car, you may very very have to use first gear! Just saying we should not be afraid to do so if needed.
Originally Posted by the_rider
The Sound Composer could be an undocumented feature of GT4. I would hate it! Thankfully, he says Spyder doesn't have it. Porsche is just cheating to create the aural excitement in the cabin! It actually explains when people claim that it sounds better in the cabin; now we know why!! I did ask this question earlier.

As for the shifting down to first, I do all the time, when warranted, with cars and motorcycles. It comes down to RPM and to be in the torque range. Of course, rev matching is key (no, I don't use Auto Blip). If I sense that I could get to around 4k in 1st, will definitely downshift. On motorcycles, I'll have even more RPM to play with after downshifting (due to higher redline). If you don't downshift into 1st, you could be lugging in 2nd and lose the spirited acceleration (power band) out of the turn/corner. Besides, you'll have additional opportunities to enjoy the glorious soundtrack: matching the revs when downshifting, getting close to limiter in 1st and bit of a blip when up-shifting. Win-Win!
Our local demonstration track has a tight chicane just before coming back onto the main straight away in front of the club house... in a MT car if you don't shift back into first you could be as low as 2k rpm in second gear!

Lugging the engine past all of the watchers sounds really lame!
The following users liked this post:
spyderphile (06-27-2020)
Old 06-27-2020, 01:53 PM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Received 3,378 Likes on 1,479 Posts

I'm sure they just open a valve to help pipe the noise into the cabin. I wouldn't think it's done through the speakers. So it's still "natural" engine sounds.
Old 06-27-2020, 02:16 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,589 Likes on 2,335 Posts

Originally Posted by smiles11
I'm sure they just open a valve to help pipe the noise into the cabin. I wouldn't think it's done through the speakers. So it's still "natural" engine sounds.
that's exactly how it works ... this is *not* a BMW
Old 06-27-2020, 02:27 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,869 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
that's exactly how it works ... this is *not* a BMW
Porsche does it as well in the regular 718s with the Soundkator, which is an active speaker, unlike the passive Sound Symposers in the 991s.