Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Dropped off my 981 Spyder and picked up my 718 Spyder

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2020, 09:24 PM
Underblu
Banned

Received 575 Likes on 217 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gt4-...18-spyder.html

Here i reposted it:

I dropped off my 981 Spyder today and picked up my 718 Spyder, It’s remarkable how two very similar cars can feel quite different.

An overview of the two cars:
The 981 Spyder is more raw, the passive suspension much more tactile, You can feel the grooves in the road through the LWBS, and while the steering might be electric it felt much closer to the hydraulic steering in my 987S than my previous 981 S with PASM. I’ve had a good many Porsches going back 20+ years starting with air cooled 911s. The 981 Spyder was the first new Porsche I bought that felt like a step back rather than a step forward. Which can be good and bad. Its probably the car whose ethos most reminded of my first air cooled Carrera.

It may come as a surprise that I like the 718 Spyder better. The composure of the new suspension, what it lacks in tactile feedback it makes up with competent precision. It’s the same formula that makes the GT3 such a compelling ride. This 718 Spyder feels like a modern sports car and the refined evolution of the 981/718 platform into its most potent and capable form. In comparison, the 981 seems like a hotrodded 981 with that big *** Carrara 3.8 mated to an even stiffer X73. While the sheer visceral analog goodness of that combo is undeniable, I wanted something more refined, more 991 GT3 like and in that regard the 718 Spyder truly delivers.

718 Spyder: Good lord what an engine:
If you told me the engine was pulled from a GT3, I would believe you. The flexibility of this 4 liter engine feels much better than the 3.8 especially mated to the long ratio manual gearbox. It almost feels like they shortened the gears. Where the 3.8 seemed to strain and hesitate moving up the RPM range, the new 4 liter almost feels like a GT3 motor. It’s linear torque band seems effortless. There’s no dead zone. Even brand new, the 4.0 felt free revving in a way that I only felt from a GT3 engine. I can’t wait to get this engine broken in. With the 981 Spyder, keeping the car under 5k rpms was borderline unpleasant. With the 718 Spyder even under 5k RPMs, it’s still a blast.

718 Spyder The best MT gearbox ever?
The 981 Spyder MT was superlative but the 718 Spyder’s MT feels faster, snappier. If I ever longed for the gated shifter of a very sweet MT Ferrari, I don’t anymore. It’s that good. I don’t know why it feels better than the gearbox in the 981 Spyder but it definitely does.

The 718 Spyder suspension = GT3 goodness:
The GT3 is modern sports car perfection. And a lot of that goodness comes from how nicely the chassis and it’s parts play together. As I mentioned before, the 718 Spyder is essentially a mid engine convertible GT3 for 1/3 the price and less junk in the trunk than the badass 911 Speedster.

The 718 Spyder exhaust note. Wtf happened to the Carrera wail?
Ok the exhaust note isn’t terrible but it’s not great either. It’s kinda like you generic sports car brand A. What’s unsettling is the correlation between engine noise and rpm You rev, then suddenly there’s the sound, there’s like an exhaust note lag which reminds me vaguely of lipsyncing that goes out of sync. Maybe I’m just used to my 981 Spyder‘S perfect exhaust note and timing but something seems odd. Maybe I need more 718 Spyder seat time. Maybe the particulate filters particularly suck.

The 718 Spyder a few final observations:
Why did they change the latch button on the 718 Spyder’s convertible top and make it harder to press down than the 981 Spyder. It worked before, why make it more difficult.

Cowl shake in the 718 is pretty much non existent. It’s much better in this regard than my 981 Spyder.

The reverse camera doesn’t change back to car play when you put the car in 1st gear. At least mine didn’t. Probably a little software bug.

Conclusion: The King is dead, Long live the King!
For a long time I felt the 981 Spyder was a beautifully raw visceral sports car and the best open top production sports car Porsche makes. While the 981 Spyder it is still uniquely raw and analog, I have to say without equivocation, the best open top production Porsche is the clearly the 718 Spyder.
The following 3 users liked this post by Underblu:
Closertotruth (07-07-2020), DFW01TT (07-06-2020), speed_kills (07-07-2020)
Old 07-06-2020, 09:34 PM
Gatch
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by DR08
Would be great to see some top up pics if/when you share some more. I'm on the fence about the top color.
He already did. These pictures definitely make a great case for optioning the red roof with colors like white and silver, maybe even chalk??

https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gt4-spyder/1201645-pics-gt-silver-red-top-platinum-wheels.html
The following users liked this post:
Underblu (07-07-2020)
Old 07-07-2020, 05:46 AM
Croc999
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Underblu
https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gt4-...18-spyder.html

Here i reposted it:

I dropped off my 981 Spyder today and picked up my 718 Spyder, It’s remarkable how two very similar cars can feel quite different.

An overview of the two cars:
The 981 Spyder is more raw, the passive suspension much more tactile, You can feel the grooves in the road through the LWBS, and while the steering might be electric it felt much closer to the hydraulic steering in my 987S than my previous 981 S with PASM. I’ve had a good many Porsches going back 20+ years starting with air cooled 911s. The 981 Spyder was the first new Porsche I bought that felt like a step back rather than a step forward. Which can be good and bad. Its probably the car whose ethos most reminded of my first air cooled Carrera.

It may come as a surprise that I like the 718 Spyder better. The composure of the new suspension, what it lacks in tactile feedback it makes up with competent precision. It’s the same formula that makes the GT3 such a compelling ride. This 718 Spyder feels like a modern sports car and the refined evolution of the 981/718 platform into its most potent and capable form. In comparison, the 981 seems like a hotrodded 981 with that big *** Carrara 3.8 mated to an even stiffer X73. While the sheer visceral analog goodness of that combo is undeniable, I wanted something more refined, more 991 GT3 like and in that regard the 718 Spyder truly delivers.

718 Spyder: Good lord what an engine:
If you told me the engine was pulled from a GT3, I would believe you. The flexibility of this 4 liter engine feels much better than the 3.8 especially mated to the long ratio manual gearbox. It almost feels like they shortened the gears. Where the 3.8 seemed to strain and hesitate moving up the RPM range, the new 4 liter almost feels like a GT3 motor. It’s linear torque band seems effortless. There’s no dead zone. Even brand new, the 4.0 felt free revving in a way that I only felt from a GT3 engine. I can’t wait to get this engine broken in. With the 981 Spyder, keeping the car under 5k rpms was borderline unpleasant. With the 718 Spyder even under 5k RPMs, it’s still a blast.

718 Spyder The best MT gearbox ever?
The 981 Spyder MT was superlative but the 718 Spyder’s MT feels faster, snappier. If I ever longed for the gated shifter of a very sweet MT Ferrari, I don’t anymore. It’s that good. I don’t know why it feels better than the gearbox in the 981 Spyder but it definitely does.

The 718 Spyder suspension = GT3 goodness:
The GT3 is modern sports car perfection. And a lot of that goodness comes from how nicely the chassis and it’s parts play together. As I mentioned before, the 718 Spyder is essentially a mid engine convertible GT3 for 1/3 the price and less junk in the trunk than the badass 911 Speedster.

The 718 Spyder exhaust note. Wtf happened to the Carrera wail?
Ok the exhaust note isn’t terrible but it’s not great either. It’s kinda like you generic sports car brand A. What’s unsettling is the correlation between engine noise and rpm You rev, then suddenly there’s the sound, there’s like an exhaust note lag which reminds me vaguely of lipsyncing that goes out of sync. Maybe I’m just used to my 981 Spyder‘S perfect exhaust note and timing but something seems odd. Maybe I need more 718 Spyder seat time. Maybe the particulate filters particularly suck.

The 718 Spyder a few final observations:
Why did they change the latch button on the 718 Spyder’s convertible top and make it harder to press down than the 981 Spyder. It worked before, why make it more difficult.

Cowl shake in the 718 is pretty much non existent. It’s much better in this regard than my 981 Spyder.

The reverse camera doesn’t change back to car play when you put the car in 1st gear. At least mine didn’t. Probably a little software bug.

Conclusion: The King is dead, Long live the King!
For a long time I felt the 981 Spyder was a beautifully raw visceral sports car and the best open top production sports car Porsche makes. While the 981 Spyder it is still uniquely raw and analog, I have to say without equivocation, the best open top production Porsche is the clearly the 718 Spyder.
Great summary - Thanks for sharing !!!
The following users liked this post:
Underblu (07-07-2020)

Quick Reply: Dropped off my 981 Spyder and picked up my 718 Spyder