Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Ceramic Coating?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2020, 08:49 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,140 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I only started using Bead Maker on my current car, after my detailer recommended it when he was coating the car. Prior cars I just had OptiCoat Pro Plus and did a standard wash and dry. The only difference that I really notice is that the Bead Maker really makes the car shine more and feel even more slippery. I can't honestly say that it makes the car shed dirt any better; just not sure on that, but it certainly does bead up water. My detailer swears by it and he also said that using it will help the OptiCoat last longer.

I actually tried another brand of the same type of product from either Autogeek or Chemical Guys that I did not like at all. Smelled super silicone-y and didn't seem to go on as easily or leave the car feeling as nice. After using Bead Maker, the car feels like it just got a thorough waxing.
I am curious to try it. The silica based stuff is toxic if inhaled. Wonder what bead maker is made from.
Old 06-22-2020, 11:51 PM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Received 1,088 Likes on 537 Posts

Originally Posted by s2kspyder
Your experience is what my expectation is. Did you notice the ceramic coating to have different durability on PPF vs. paint? I know ceramic pro has good marketing and seems to be a solid product. I was looking at using IGL Kenzo mostly for the cheaper price point. I know most of the money will go into the PPF.
Reflectivity is slightly less over the PPF, but still quite good. No difference in hydrophobic properties on either surface.
Old 06-22-2020, 11:53 PM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Received 1,088 Likes on 537 Posts

Originally Posted by s2kspyder
Your experience is what my expectation is. Did you notice the ceramic coating to have different durability on PPF vs. paint? I know ceramic pro has good marketing and seems to be a solid product. I was looking at using IGL Kenzo mostly for the cheaper price point. I know most of the money will go into the PPF.
Reflectivity is slightly less over the PPF, but still quite good. No difference in hydrophobic properties on either surface. But honestly, if you are going to do this stuff, spend the money to get the best products, otherwise you will be wasting your money.
Old 06-23-2020, 12:14 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,869 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by SToronto
I am curious to try it. The silica based stuff is toxic if inhaled. Wonder what bead maker is made from.
Well I looovvve the smell of bead maker, so it must be bad for us. 😉
Old 06-23-2020, 12:23 AM
wcw67
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyE1976
I will be doing both, PPF on the front and rockers (the area around the side intakes will pick up some chips/debris) and then ceramic over the top.

I specifically found a place that doesn't cut on the car and wraps the edges, typically this requires them to edit the templates that they get from the companies.

I'm also doing ceramic coating on the wheels and interior to help protect the alcantara
Greatly depends on which company's patterns as well as your PPF installers alignment (skill, experience). Should never have to cut on the car....
Old 06-23-2020, 12:41 AM
MEM82
Burning Brakes

Received 269 Likes on 149 Posts

Great thread! Will be doing full xpel ultimate and xpel fusion ceramic.
Old 06-23-2020, 09:00 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

That's true! It's the alcohols and benzyl benzoate in there, need to cover it up.
Old 06-23-2020, 01:59 PM
BudgetPlan1
Instructor

Received 185 Likes on 109 Posts

Would like to see some analysis on what sorts of etching, marring and scratching coatings protect you from.
While I have no scientific analysis, only me 2 eyeballs, one of the reasons I started looking into ceramics was due to the manner in which our cars are used, including the 'hobby' cars.

It kinda all stems from my time using sealants prior to 2015-2016 when the coating obsession began. Our main toy back then was a black 2004 Corvette that was primarily my wife's daily driver from May thru October, a car she drove nearly every day regardless of weather. Over the course of time, it ended up with etched waterspots, things that ate thru the sealant with ease and ended up leaving etchings in the clear coat itself. The car often got rained on in the morning then sat out in the hot summer sun for a few hours after that, enabling the beads to apparently act as little magnifying glasses and leave permanent marks in the clearcoat. Additionally, bird droppings would leave permanent marks as well if not dealt with in a timely manner. So it began as a matter of protection and morphed into some of the other benefits of coatings as I became more familiar with them.

However, the elimination of scratches and marring is NOT one of the benefits of a coating. Despite claims of "Diamond Infused 10h hardness" a coating is really softer than your fingernail and is easily marred with even the most plush cotton bath towel if used to dry a black car (a white car as well, you just won't notice them as much). I have a coating on 2 of my cars that has some 'limited self healing' characteristics and even this is limited to some light micro-marring that may occur from time to time. Coatings have a lot of benefits for me but protection from scratching, marring and rock chips ain't one of 'em.

The main benefit for me is the lessened need to worry so much about permanent damage due to weather, nature or maintenance neglect. With 4 cars and a 2 car garage, at least 2 of our cars sit outside all the time and we live on a heavily wooded lot so there's always something coming down from the heavens and landing on the outside cars and since moving to coatings, I have yet to experience and serious effects from them sitting outside for extended periods of time.

That's another thing with the detailing products industry. Soooooo many products with all making their own claims. Lots of marketing. Kind of like powder proteins in fitness industry.
Bingo. This is especially troublesome with many coatings and their outlandish claims of performance.

Do whatever puts your mind at ease.
This, at the end of the day, is all that matters. Be you a fan of the somewhat "reviled in the detailing community" TopCoat F11 or the Lemon Pledge the old-timers like to put on their paint, if you're happy with what you use/do, that's all that really matters.

It is my understanding that Beadmaker is a light-duty polymer sealant. I gave it a go on top of a few coatings and in some cases it had no effect on the hydrophobic characteristics and on other coatings, those with highly hydrophobic characteristics, it diminished the performance of the coating. It sure is fun to use and smells delicious, leaves one slick surface but just doesn't fit my particular needs; no harm, no foul.
Old 06-23-2020, 02:20 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 734 Likes on 388 Posts

Originally Posted by rzspyder
@BudgetPlan1 Thanks again for the info. I’m settling on installing a clear bra + ceramic coat the entire car. For the PPF, I’m still researching Kavaca and XPEL.
A little late to the party, but great choice on the ppf/cermaic combo.

As for what film, it honestly comes down to the installer and his/her business as that's what you're truly buying into.
The following users liked this post:
BudgetPlan1 (06-23-2020)
Old 06-23-2020, 06:08 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1
It is my understanding that Beadmaker is a light-duty polymer sealant. I gave it a go on top of a few coatings and in some cases it had no effect on the hydrophobic characteristics and on other coatings, those with highly hydrophobic characteristics, it diminished the performance of the coating. It sure is fun to use and smells delicious, leaves one slick surface but just doesn't fit my particular needs; no harm, no foul.
It definitely makes the water bead more. Has a bigger net effect on the wife's uncoated Subie, but still showed a difference on my coated M5. Says that it is highly hydrophobic, but who knows. Gives the car a very nice shine and makes water bead more and roll off easier, whatever that's worth. Probably doesn't matter much on a coated car, but my detailer, who's been working on high end cars here in the Bay Area and Monterey for over 25 years, swears by it and recommended it to extend the life of the ceramic coating. Takes less than five minutes to do the whole car and looks great when done.
BudgetPlan1 (06-23-2020)
Old 06-24-2020, 02:47 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,590 Likes on 2,336 Posts

better than "blue" marker pens?
Old 06-24-2020, 02:50 PM
BudgetPlan1
Instructor

Received 185 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
Better than mimeograph tests from, uh, way back when?
Old 06-24-2020, 02:54 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,590 Likes on 2,336 Posts

Better than mimeograph tests from, uh, way back when?
https://youtu.be/Uu3iCvAQCHg
Oh WOW! ... *that* good!
Old 06-24-2020, 03:20 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
Yes, it has this wonderful sweet fragrance to it, not the harsh chemically smell a lot of these products have.
Old 06-25-2020, 09:11 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Did the coating performance return upon stopping use of Beadmaker?

I think if you're using a sealant with every wash or so, you should use one that is the same composition as a coating. I think most if not all coatings are silica based. That's why I use CarPro Reload.
BudgetPlan1 (06-25-2020)

Quick Reply: Ceramic Coating?