Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

July R&T GT4 Review

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2020, 02:48 PM
Dgkli
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

That's funny....maybe I need to go back and re-read it. What I took from it is the author was saying essentially, screw the niggles, this is a fantastic-driving car. IOW, all those details (that he got wrong), are irrelevant anyway because of the way the car drives.
Old 06-19-2020, 02:51 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,609 Likes on 2,347 Posts

Originally Posted by n4v4nod
I personally disagree... the latest trend of deleting buttons and everything controlled through a display is a joke. Have you driven a Taycan yet? Yeah it’s looks good visually, but functionally it’s a pain in the ***. Biggest joke is controlling climate control vent direction through your PCM... I forgot how many displays you have to get through to do it. Not only that... finger prints everywhere. Personally think there needs to be a happy medium between the two. There are items that should have quick access physical buttons.
amen!

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Would have zero interest in the GT4 if it had the 992 interior. Not just because it's modern, it's bad modern. No Porsche style to it at all IMO.
100% agree the new 992 interior is *crap* especially the new PDK shifter that looks like an electric razor

Originally Posted by kart125
The different manufacturers are stretching their legs to get the most "technology" crammed into cars and it's getting to be a marketing gimmick... "We have 4 15" LCD screens in our car compared to 3 in the competitor... thus we have a better car...".

If I want to increase temperature and change radio station I prefer to do it old school with ***** and get it over with in 2-3 seconds max... compared to digging into menus and submenus and getting honked at a redlight because I didn't have time to complete the 2 operations in the 1:10 minutes I had! Eventually I will have to get a car that is based on LCD displays/controls, but for me the later is the better.
I think we went to the same "old school" - why I am so keen to get my hands on a Spyder
Old 06-19-2020, 03:53 PM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Received 1,582 Likes on 668 Posts

Agree, the 992 interior would just make me crazy. I don't think I'd ever get used to it. The completely obscured outer gauges are enough to make my head explode. The cup holder is atrocious. Those door handles are unnecessarily complex. Then there is the Homelink fiasco. But the most idiotic thing I've ever seen in any car is thankfully not in the 992 (yet). In the Pananera, the center vent position has to be controlled by the screen. In the Taycan all the vents are controlled that way. It's beyond belief. I honestly would not drive a Taycan if they gave me one free. It would just make my blood boil.
Old 06-19-2020, 03:55 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,609 Likes on 2,347 Posts

Originally Posted by Denny Swift
Agree, the 992 interior would just make me crazy. I don't think I'd ever get used to it. The completely obscured outer gauges are enough to make my head explode. The cup holder is atrocious. Those door handles are unnecessarily complex. Then there is the Homelink fiasco. But the most idiotic thing I've ever seen in any car is thankfully not in the 992 (yet). In the Pananera, the center vent position has to be controlled by the screen. In the Taycan all the vents are controlled that way. It's beyond belief. I honestly would not drive a Taycan if they gave me one free. It would just make my blood boil.
how nuts *is* that ... Tesla has a LOT to answer for ... I'm afraid though that "we" are a dying breed my friends ...
Old 06-19-2020, 10:06 PM
mb1
Rennlist Member

Received 208 Likes on 124 Posts

If someone handed you a 5 year old iPhone, I doubt anyone would say "love the old school design". It's just dated. Same with the Spyder interior, which taken almost directly from nearly 5 year old 991.2 interior design. It was meant to be tech current at the time, but that's forever ago in tech time. For me, it's a drawback, but not a dealbreaker.
Old 06-19-2020, 10:49 PM
kart125
Burning Brakes

Received 501 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by mb1
If someone handed you a 5 year old iPhone, I doubt anyone would say "love the old school design". It's just dated. Same with the Spyder interior, which taken almost directly from nearly 5 year old 991.2 interior design. It was meant to be tech current at the time, but that's forever ago in tech time. For me, it's a drawback, but not a dealbreaker.
An iphone is still an iphone with a touchscreen and apps that you acccess via different pages. Same concept as 10 years ago, but improved to manage the bigger apps. To me an iphone 3 vs an iphone 10 are quite similar, besides the shape and size of the casing.

A car is not an iphone. It does not need touchscreen. It evolved to be quite efficient with analog controls/buttons in the last 100 years+. Only in the last 5-7 years have we been pushed to accept this nonsense of touchscreen everywhere. If your software or screen driver goes out, good luck controlling anything in the car! But to each is own. I agree that it could look cool in a car to have a big screen... but it could also be hidious like the last gen MB E class. I would take the 2014 interior anytime over the new one.
Old 06-19-2020, 11:07 PM
tthellott T
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Just an opinion...

718 Spyder is my first non-911 Porsche since my first 911 twenty years ago; to be honest, 718 interior (with contrast stitching leather and bucket seats) is not as delicate nor creating luxurious sentiment as good as 911 can provide if you really looked at the details of parts and assembly. But well, I also understand I don't purchase Spyder for that kind of experiences. However, I wouldn't mind if some old design weakness can be further improved.

Most of time, newer design is better as it takes lesson learned from old design, like old PCM buttons layout, I/Os can be improved on 718. Also, no wireless Car Play is really inconvenient.
Old 06-19-2020, 11:10 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,694 Likes on 2,731 Posts

Originally Posted by tthellott T
Just an opinion...

718 Spyder is my first non-911 Porsche since my first 911 twenty years ago; to be honest, 718 interior (with contrast stitching leather and bucket seats) is not as delicate nor creating luxurious sentiment as good as 911 can provide if you really looked at the details of parts and assembly. But well, I also understand I don't purchase Spyder for that kind of experiences. However, I wouldn't mind if some old design weakness can be further improved.

Most of time, newer design is better as it takes lesson learned from old design, like old PCM buttons layout, I/Os can be improved on 718. Also, no wireless Car Play is really inconvenient.
Understood, so would you prefer the 911 dash in the 718?

I like modern and advanced, but in this case I chose based what was being offer... it works and it will have to do.
Old 06-20-2020, 12:27 AM
tthellott T
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Understood, so would you prefer the 911 dash in the 718?

I like modern and advanced, but in this case I chose based what was being offer... it works and it will have to do.
excellent question,
no, I like the way 718 Spyder interior is.

I sit in 992 at showroom and perceived very similar overall felling from old 911 interior somehow (Ref. I had 964t & 997tt) even though lots of tangible things evolved over time. Nevertheless, I like the 718 Spyder snug feeling cabin better. Maybe I am getting a little bit tired of 911 interior and looking for something new to experience, or... Spyder is just too unique to pass from past as well as forward-looking trend of electrifying.

Old 06-20-2020, 02:12 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,694 Likes on 2,731 Posts

Originally Posted by tthellott T
excellent question,
no, I like the way 718 Spyder interior is.

I sit in 992 at showroom and perceived very similar overall felling from old 911 interior somehow (Ref. I had 964t & 997tt) even though lots of tangible things evolved over time. Nevertheless, I like the 718 Spyder snug feeling cabin better. Maybe I am getting a little bit tired of 911 interior and looking for something new to experience, or... Spyder is just too unique to pass from past as well as forward-looking trend of electrifying.
This is what it is for me as well...

Quick Reply: July R&T GT4 Review