Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

718 Spyder Roof Problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2020, 04:55 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,598 Likes on 2,341 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
My 986/7 Boxsters had the mechanical final latches, they worked fine, only a few seconds to operate.

Again, I am hoping the SmartTop module can at least unlatch the front catch so I can do that from outside of the Spyder.
please report back on this if you do the install!
Old 06-07-2020, 07:07 AM
Bolle SC
AutoX

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts

when not engaged, this hook has mechanical play (found out by coincidence):

If you wiggle the hook (via console switch) close to the position just short before where it is supposed to grab - let go of the switch and then push the hook forward by hand.It will securely grip now, and you are able to close the roof without madly pulling it down and forward with the other hand.

Next time at Porsche Munich I will ask for a readjustment because this situation is not acceptable.

Last edited by Bolle SC; 06-07-2020 at 03:17 PM.
The following users liked this post:
80s (06-19-2020)
Old 06-07-2020, 07:14 AM
Bolle SC
AutoX

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable

If you hold the unlock button on your key long enough, the windows will be lowered about one third, the roof latch disengages and the rear hatch snaps open. So help me, where is the benefit of buying a SmartTop Module® ?
Old 06-07-2020, 11:41 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,646 Likes on 2,708 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I will report back if I proceed with the install...

Originally Posted by Bolle SC
If you hold the unlock button on your key long enough, the windows will be lowered about one third, the roof latch disengages and the rear hatch snaps open. So help me, where is the benefit of buying a SmartTop Module® ?
Remember I already have the SmartTop module from my previous Boxster GTS..

So part of my consideration was the operation of the roof mechanisms as you just described above, that is the first time I have read that feature/sequence described for the 718 Spyder, if this is on the US/Canada models, that is great and the SmartTop would not be required for that aspect.

A few of other nice to have features that the SmartTop adds are the ability to control the chirp on lock, remote windows up or down, mute the radio upon start-up and remote operation of the front/rear LED lights for at night.
Old 06-07-2020, 11:49 AM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,685 Likes on 925 Posts

The benefit is not with opening... but rather the closing side. For NA, Porsche has disabled this feature... most speculate due to legal reasons to reduce potential lawsuits. Heck they were sued for the reflection on the glass from light dash interiors. It’s the reason you see a disclaimer now... If it works for closing (windows and latching) like ROW, it would be worth the investment.
Old 06-07-2020, 12:43 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by n4v4nod
The benefit is not with opening... but rather the closing side. For NA, Porsche has disabled this feature... most speculate due to legal reasons to reduce potential lawsuits. Heck they were sued for the reflection on the glass from light dash interiors. It’s the reason you see a disclaimer now... If it works for closing (windows and latching) like ROW, it would be worth the investment.
Interesting, so they allow the unlatching sequence but not the latching, I suppose it could be a pinch hazzard...

Before I removed the SmartTop module from my BGTS I inquired about the operation in the Spyder but they said they not had a chance to explore options as the car was yet to be released, they did feel confident that the existing 718 functionality would remain.
The following users liked this post:
n4v4nod (06-07-2020)
Old 06-07-2020, 12:50 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Interesting, so they allow the unlatching sequence but not the latching, I suppose it could be a pinch hazzard...

Before I removed the SmartTop module from my BGTS I inquired about the operation in the Spyder but they said they not had a chance to explore options as the car was yet to be released, they did feel confident that the existing 718 functionality would remain.
ugh... more I think about it... can’t remember if unlatching works for NA utilizing the remote unlock button? I’m second guessing myself. Hope others can confirm. Sorry for the confusion... Windows opening definitely works.
Old 06-07-2020, 12:51 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,870 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Smart Top allows you to close the roof latch from the outside with the key?
Old 06-07-2020, 12:53 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

ugh... more I think about it... can’t remember if unlatching works for NA utilizing the remote unlock button? I’m second guessing myself. Hope others can confirm. Sorry for the confusion... Windows opening definitely works.
Yes it does. On the 981 Spyder you just hold the unlock button and it releases the trunk, unlatches the top from the windshield and drops the windows a bit.
Old 06-07-2020, 12:59 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Archimedes
On my 2016 Boxster GTS, yes with SmartTop installed I could completely close/latch the roof, windows and lock up the car from the Porsche key fob.
Old 06-07-2020, 01:00 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Yes it does. On the 981 Spyder you just hold the unlock button and it releases the trunk, unlatches the top from the windshield and drops the windows a bit.
Haha! I thought so... but then I started to second guess myself. Thanks for validating.👍🏼
Old 06-07-2020, 01:02 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Thats the hope anyway! Hopefully WC can verify when he gets his Spyder! If it does... I’m definitely getting it! I wish it was easier and simply a coding thing via OBD port especially knowing the ROW has it.
Old 06-07-2020, 01:12 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

On my 2016 Boxster GTS, yes with SmartTop installed I could completely close/latch the roof, windows and lock up the car from the Porsche key fob.
But the GTS had an electric top didn’t it?
Old 06-07-2020, 04:14 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

So how does the closing feature on the key fob work on the ROW Spyder? Are you suggesting that some part of it is automated?

But the GTS had an electric top didn’t it?
Yes, an electric top on the GTS... but, if I understand how the programming on the SmartTop module works, it is able to access and use existing code in the car's control module to enable features available in other parts of the world. For example when installed on my GTS the top operation was one-touch at speeds up to 50km/hr, a feature disabled on NA car but available elsewhere.

So there may be a possibility that a properly programmed SmartTop module could enable functionality not available in the US and Canada.
Old 06-07-2020, 04:28 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

So how does the closing feature on the key fob work on the ROW Spyder? Are you suggesting that some part of it is automated?

ROW, putting up the roof, once you get the roof up, buttresses attached from outside you can hold the lock button on the key and it will engage the motor headed latch and roll up the windows without entering the car. Then you can push down the boot for final step.

Much easier than the NA, where you have to get in and out of the car to push the console button for the header motorized latch. The out to push the boot.

Quick Reply: 718 Spyder Roof Problems