Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Extended Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2020, 06:11 PM
blackholescion
Pro

Received 198 Likes on 107 Posts

I was able to negotiate a 15% discount on the 9 year/60k extended warranty. There's no tax on it in NC so that helps as well. Seems worth it to me for the peace of mind given that it's a new motor (relatively). This is pending the terms and conditions that I have yet to review.

I'm sure I could have shopped this around further.
The following users liked this post:
fueledbymetal (07-08-2020)
Old 05-27-2020, 07:42 PM
RyuBraska
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 49 Posts

I'm trying to schedule an appointment Friday next week to discuss all of these options and financing...

I'm new to Porsche. Are they pushing anything else apart from extended warranty and different types of protection plans (e.g., wheels and tires)? Do they offer PPF?
Old 05-27-2020, 07:48 PM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Received 1,568 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by phefner
Hey Denny, brushed a curb avoiding some jackass sliding into my lane and they took care of it, no questions asked; along with a complete undercarriage inspection. Also had 2 tires replaced under warranty; one for hitting a bumper on the interstate (fortunately just a tire was damaged), and another for a nail (tread had > 50% wear remaining).

I’ll be getting the tire & wheel when I pickup my GT4. Likely windshield too.
I guess all insurance depends on your assumed risk. I think the changes of ever paying anything close to $2k on tire and wheel wheel damage is very low. Yeah, it could happen. Plus if it happens, maybe you'll break even. It's not like it will financially ruin you like a blown motor or totaled car could. And windshield insurance? I didn't know there was such a thing. I've had several windshields replaced over the years, but it was always covered by my comprehensive insurance and never cost me a dime. When I think back on all the cars I've ever owned over the last 40 years of driving, I've never had to replace a wheel. And there are several reputable wheel refinishing places that will repair a wheel (even bent) to factory specs for about $500. Getting curb rash fixed is usually $200. If you think that it's worth the peace of mind, go for it. I just think the price is off by orders of magnitude.
Old 05-27-2020, 07:50 PM
blackholescion
Pro

Originally Posted by RyuBraska
I'm trying to schedule an appointment Friday next week to discuss all of these options and financing...

I'm new to Porsche. Are they pushing anything else apart from extended warranty and different types of protection plans (e.g., wheels and tires)? Do they offer PPF?
It's like all car dealers. Of course they want you to buy all the service plans, maintenance, etc. PPF will be through the dealer and not Porsche themselves. I urge you to find a better installer yourself or find out who they use if anyone, and research them. PPF is very installer dependent.

I ultimately passed on wheels and tires even though they brought it down to $1700. Didn't seem that worth it based on mileage and how I drive.
RyuBraska (05-27-2020)
Old 05-28-2020, 11:35 PM
RyuBraska
Racer

What are the thoughts on prepaid maintenance?
Old 05-29-2020, 09:59 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,637 Likes on 2,703 Posts

What are the thoughts on prepaid maintenance?
Personally I am going to go for it, I do all of my in warranty service with the dealer anyway and prices for service rarely go down so I don't see a down side.

I know that it stays with the car if you do sell/trade so it is makes the car more salable in that context, always nice to say all service done by Porsche.

I wonder if it is negotiable?

PS. I am also strongly considering extending the warranty, just trying to decide if I can get a better deal on this at time of sale or just before the original factory warranty expires at the 4 year mark?
Old 05-29-2020, 10:41 AM
RyuBraska
Racer

Probably negotiable like anything else... do you drive a lot? My concern is that if I drive only 5,000 kms / year there is probably not a lot of maintenance to do to except for changing oil. Will they do everything they are supposed to do at 20,000 kms, 40,000 kms, 60,000 kms after 2, 3 and 4 years even if I'm at something like 10 or 15,000 kms?
Old 05-29-2020, 11:17 AM
blackholescion
Pro

Probably negotiable like anything else... do you drive a lot? My concern is that if I drive only 5,000 kms / year there is probably not a lot of maintenance to do to except for changing oil. Will they do everything they are supposed to do at 20,000 kms, 40,000 kms, 60,000 kms after 2, 3 and 4 years even if I'm at something like 10 or 15,000 kms?
Yes.

Also check with your dealer if they have a dealer branded prepaid maintenance versus the Porsche one. It’s often cheaper. Starting price at mine was $1500 less than the Porsche one. It means you have to get your car serviced there but if you aren’t moving any time soon, it would be cheaper.

Originally Posted by Westcoast
PS. I am also strongly considering extending the warranty, just trying to decide if I can get a better deal on this at time of sale or just before the original factory warranty expires at the 4 year mark?
It’s mileage dependent. I would buy before 10k miles/16k km.

Old 05-29-2020, 11:33 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,637 Likes on 2,703 Posts

Originally Posted by blackholescion
Yes.
Also check with your dealer if they have a dealer branded prepaid maintenance versus the Porsche one. It’s often cheaper. Starting price at mine was $1500 less than the Porsche one. It means you have to get your car serviced there but if you aren’t moving any time soon, it would be cheaper.
They made no mention of an alternative maintenance plan when I inquired last, next time I am in I will ask. My service advisor say they see yearly increases on the Porsche plan so it is best to opt in early if you are going to do it anyway.

Originally Posted by blackholescion
It’s mileage dependent. I would buy before 10k miles/16k km.
I was told that if I opted in during the first year there was no problem and no inspection and no mention about mileage, at a point just before the 4 year mark I was told that there may be an inspection required. The only difference is that the cost may go up 4 years from now, not unlike the pre-paid maintenance.
Old 05-29-2020, 11:41 AM
Illusive991
Racer

Received 229 Likes on 124 Posts

I've found pre-paid maintenance to be worth the price if you're planning on doing your yearly service at the dealer; yes you're paying for x years of service up front, but usually at a decent discount to what you'd normally be charged. I'll likely opt for this if I have the option as I do my servicing with the dealership. As Westcoast noted, it's transferable so if you're thinking about selling the car in a year or two, it's a nice to have included, but doesn't add value to the sale price IMO. I'm assuming it's negotiable, but not by much as it's already discounting future service costs. @RyuBraska short answer is yes, you'll likely have to do certain scheduled maintenance due to time, even if you're not near the km limit.

@Westcoast I'm considering extended warranty as well as I also plan on keeping this vehicle for a long time; I believe it is negotiable, so definitely worth the extra effort to try and bring the cost down. If you are planning on getting an extended warranty with Porsche, it is advantageous to opt in when new (I think the limit is a few weeks to a month after delivery and within something like 1,000km) as you'll forego the requirement for a detailed inspection at your cost before it can be purchased in the future.

It's one or two more things to add to the negotiation list, on top of any PPF, coatings, tint, accessories you may be or planning on purchasing; the more you have lined up, the more likely they'll be willing to give you a discount on one or more items.
Westcoast (05-29-2020)
Old 05-29-2020, 03:38 PM
blackholescion
Pro

I ended up getting tire/wheel package for cost + $100. Made me feel better about only getting 15% off on extended warranty because I'd never really negotiated on one before and I guess you live and learn. Basically the cost of 2 rear Cup 2s shipped, taxed, and installed. I don't normally buy it but it's 7 years and that's a long time.
The following 2 users liked this post by blackholescion:
phefner (05-29-2020), RyuBraska (05-29-2020)
Old 06-02-2020, 02:25 PM
blackholescion
Pro

By the way, Wheel and tire covers aftermarket wheels as long as they aren't carbon fiber and magnesium. That makes it completely worth it, IMO. Excludes breakage on track but then so does the base warranty so....
Old 06-02-2020, 02:55 PM
guab
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Denny Swift
Tire and wheel?? Have you ever broken a wheel? Typical tire and wheel packages don't cover curb rash. And if you ever did break a wheel, that would be covered under your basic collision coverage. Therefore, I think tire and wheel insurance is ludicrous. And $2K?? That's about the price of 2 wheels (maybe one if you bought them new from Porsche). If you're worried about your wheels getting stolen, that would be covered under comprehensive. If tire and wheel insurance was $200, I would not take it. Even for $20, I'd honestly have to think about it. Perhaps $2, but even then, it would be a waste IMHO. Why would covering the whole car cost $5k when only the wheels cost $2k? You didn't laugh at them when they gave you that price?
Depends where you live. I broke 4 OEM wheels on my M3 in 3 years in Chicago (2 happened in a month span). Giant potholes. Paid for itself many times over again. In AZ I'd never buy it. I wouldn't file a collision claim for a wheel... not great for insurance rates.
Old 06-02-2020, 07:35 PM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Received 1,088 Likes on 537 Posts

There are plenty of videos on how car dealers rip you off. Skip all these extra "perks" and packages. Like the insurance industry, they play on your FEAR. If they weren't actually making on these things, they wouldn't offer them. The odds are in your favor.
Old 06-02-2020, 11:39 PM
RyuBraska
Racer

Originally Posted by VVG
There are plenty of videos on how car dealers rip you off. Skip all these extra "perks" and packages. Like the insurance industry, they play on your FEAR. If they weren't actually making on these things, they wouldn't offer them. The odds are in your favor.
True, but I would also not drive my car not insured...

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty