Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

SOUL | 718 GT4/Spyder Exhaust Development

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2020, 03:20 AM
chalkspyder
6th Gear

Received 22 Likes on 6 Posts
Default OK...2 Weeks in...

The last time I posted was right after I had a chance to drive the car before the complete system was installed. The system at that point was missing the over axle pipes so only the valve controller and the valued exhaust was installed. I honestly could have taken the car home and would have been happy with the improvement over factory PSE. Well, I've had the completed system (value controller, valued exhaust and over axle pipes - the street package) for almost two weeks now. Soul has created some great videos inside and outside of the car with variations of valves open and valves closed so I'll spare you the details about what he has already documented and skip to the experience of driving the car under various conditions:
  • Highway driving
    • Cabin sound at highway speeds (70 MPH+) is surprisingly good...it is definitely louder than the factory noise level but still allows you to have conversations comfortably. Now if you step on it, you are reminded that the system is there. I noticed a similar behavior at normal neighborhood speeds...its loud when you want it to be and manageable off throttle...it's the same on the highway.
    • Droning: I had a hard time finding any droning to report. I have done about 50 miles of highway driving (staying between 2200 and 3500 RPM at 60-70 MPH) specifically centered on understanding if there is any droning its not there. What was interesting was that I could induce a faint amount of droning right at about 2800 RPM but only with the factory PSE enabled (i.e. the valve controller turned off). Bottomline, droning is not really present and I don't plan on turning off the valve controller so the net of this is positive.
  • Horsepower
    • I have not dyno'd the car with the new system, but there for sure is a horsepower gain. You can physically feel the engine breathing better...the throttle response was good before but it is even better now.
  • Pops and crackles
    • There is a nice benefit of the over axle pipes....the return of a bit more pops and crackles on upshift and downshift. It even has a new pop on startup. This is all a welcomed surprise after driving the car before the over axles were installed.
Overall, very happy with the system. Looking forward to more backroads and tunnel runs (check out the run I posted on my IG: @chalkspyder).
The following 3 users liked this post by chalkspyder:
blackholescion (10-22-2020), Foggy916 (10-22-2020), UncleDude (06-19-2021)
Old 10-22-2020, 03:59 AM
DocMo
Racer

Received 154 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Soul Performance
The owner of the car will be chiming in shortly with his independent feedback as he has been driving this setup for nearly two weeks. I'll ask him offline if he can accommodate that.

That said, let me be as clear as I can about expectation in video recording vs real life. There is no way to record video in cabin in any accurate way to replicate what your experience is. Video recording equipment varies, therefore the results vary. Your speakers you listen to it with vary, therefore the results vary. You can hear the sound in a video, but you can't FEEL the sound in a video, therefore the results vary. Through video and our transparent feedback to you on what we've experienced, you can make an educated decision and have realistic expectations of what you'll experience...but until you drive it, you're not going to know for sure. This is where we try to set ourselves apart from the rest in the industry. If you put this system on your car and it doesn't meet your goals, give me a call within a reasonable timeframe and we'll review the situation and revise the game plan. We are in the business of maximizing the driving experience, not hampering it. We're not going to leave you hanging with something on the car that doesn't have you enjoying it more than you were before. As Porsche owners and enthusiasts ourselves, that's the customer service we'd expect and therefore we do the same.

Regards,
John Gaydos
well said John! Hats off to you and the team for such dedication and client service.
Old 10-22-2020, 12:12 PM
chalkspyder
6th Gear

Received 22 Likes on 6 Posts
Default OK...2 Weeks in...

The last time I posted was right after I had a chance to drive the car before the complete system was installed. The system at that point was missing the over axle pipes so only the valve controller and the valued exhaust was installed. I honestly could have taken the car home and would have been happy with the improvement over factory PSE. Well, I've had the completed system (value controller, valued exhaust and over axle pipes - the street package) for almost two weeks now. Soul has created some great videos inside and outside of the car with variations of valves open and valves closed so I'll spare you the details about what he has already documented and skip to the experience of driving the car under various conditions:
  • Highway driving
    • Cabin sound at highway speeds (70 MPH+) is surprisingly good...it is definitely louder than the factory noise level but still allows you to have conversations comfortably. Now if you step on it, you are reminded that the system is there. I noticed a similar behavior at normal neighborhood speeds...its loud when you want it to be and manageable off throttle...it's the same on the highway.
    • Droning: I had a hard time finding any droning to report. I have done about 50 miles of highway driving (staying between 2200 and 3500 RPM at 60-70 MPH) specifically centered on understanding if there is any droning its not there. What was interesting was that I could induce a faint amount of droning right at about 2800 RPM but only with the factory PSE enabled (i.e. the valve controller turned off). Bottomline, droning is not really present and I don't plan on turning off the valve controller so the net of this is positive.
  • Horsepower
    • I have not dyno'd the car with the new system, but there for sure is a horsepower gain. You can physically feel the engine breathing better...the throttle response was good before but it is even better now.
  • Pops and crackles
    • There is a nice benefit of the over axle pipes....the return of a bit more pops and crackles on upshift and downshift. It even has a new pop on startup. This is all a welcomed surprise after driving the car before the over axles were installed.
Overall, very happy with the system. Looking forward to more backroads and tunnel runs (check out the tunnel run I posted on my IG: @chalkspyder).

Last edited by chalkspyder; 10-22-2020 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Apologies for the dup...I got a failure message on the first post but it looks like it posted anyway.
The following 2 users liked this post by chalkspyder:
DocMo (10-22-2020), Knutsm01 (10-22-2020)
Old 10-22-2020, 05:53 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,600 Likes on 2,341 Posts

Originally Posted by chalkspyder
  • Highway driving
  • Horsepower
  • Pops and crackles
Overall, very happy with the system. Looking forward to more backroads and tunnel runs (check out the tunnel run I posted on my IG: @chalkspyder).
do you attribute this to the OPF replacement or the replacement exhaust, wondering at what stage of your modifications you noticed or compared this?
Old 10-23-2020, 02:01 AM
DocMo
Racer

Received 154 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
do you attribute this to the OPF replacement or the replacement exhaust, wondering at what stage of your modifications you noticed or compared this?
My experience: OPF deletes have more impact on power/torque/freer revving than race exhaust. It is not night and day but you feel it the way you feel stock muffler vs race exhaust.
Old 10-23-2020, 12:55 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,600 Likes on 2,341 Posts

Originally Posted by DocMo
My experience: OPF deletes have more impact on power/torque/freer revving than race exhaust. It is not night and day but you feel it the way you feel stock muffler vs race exhaust.
that's what I expected! - thanks.
Old 10-24-2020, 04:18 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 405 Likes on 210 Posts

I drove the a 718 spyder with Soul Performance Race Exhaust without resonators today. I really like loud exhausts. This one sounded good with throttle, but there was way too much boom and drone for my liking. Just another opinion.
Old 10-24-2020, 09:19 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by kyrocks
......... but there was way too much boom and drone for my liking. Just another opinion.
Do you think with Resonator, the drone can be either eliminated or greatly reduced?

Old 10-27-2020, 04:49 PM
HawkerDriver
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Question:

for you that have removed and replaced the over axle pipes, did you just reuse the nuts/bolts and seals?

I’m looking at the parts needed if you would replace them and they ain’t cheap 😛
Old 10-27-2020, 04:53 PM
tdlondon
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by HawkerDriver
Question:

for you that have removed and replaced the over axle pipes, did you just reuse the nuts/bolts and seals?

I’m looking at the parts needed if you would replace them and they ain’t cheap 😛
I reused the gasket. Take it off carefully and you can reuse. The OEM parts have the studs fixed on the flange. You will get a set of nuts and bolts necessary to install your aftermarket OAP.
The following users liked this post:
HawkerDriver (10-27-2020)
Old 10-27-2020, 05:02 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,662 Likes on 2,713 Posts

Originally Posted by HawkerDriver
Question:

The gaskets are of the 'crush' style, designed for one use, the nuts are locking and likewise should be replaced, I will be replacing them all to remove any possibility of a leaks.

And because someone has already replied that they have re-used the old pieces, YMMV...
The following 2 users liked this post by Westcoast:
Goodwood (02-20-2021), HawkerDriver (10-27-2020)
Old 10-27-2020, 06:09 PM
kart125
Burning Brakes

Received 501 Likes on 259 Posts

OAP comes with new hardware for attachment to rear muffler. I reused the bolts to headers as well as gaskets. No evidence of leaks.
HawkerDriver (10-27-2020)
Old 10-27-2020, 07:30 PM
Foggy916
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by kyrocks
I drove the a 718 spyder with Soul Performance Race Exhaust without resonators today. I really like loud exhausts. This one sounded good with throttle, but there was way too much boom and drone for my liking. Just another opinion.
Kyrocks, I'm also in the DFW area and have a 718 spyder with Soul Performance Race Exhaust but with resonators. Not surprised you experienced lots of boom and drone. My exhaust with the resonators definitely has a boom/drone at 2K to 2.8K but it's not horrible....can't imagine going without resonators unless the car was 100% track focused. I'm willing to put up with a little boom/drone to have that incredible sound up top. Also, there is absolutely zero drone and very quiet cruising around below 2K RPM. I will say that my neighbor is well aware of cold start ups but once warmed up and cruising under 2K it's very quiet.

Last edited by Foggy916; 10-27-2020 at 07:32 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-27-2020, 09:04 PM
HawkerDriver
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by kart125
OAP comes with new hardware for attachment to rear muffler. I reused the bolts to headers as well as gaskets. No evidence of leaks.
thanks for the replies!
Old 10-28-2020, 07:43 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 405 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Foggy916
Kyrocks, I'm also in the DFW area and have a 718 spyder with Soul Performance Race Exhaust but with resonators. Not surprised you experienced lots of boom and drone. My exhaust with the resonators definitely has a boom/drone at 2K to 2.8K but it's not horrible....can't imagine going without resonators unless the car was 100% track focused. I'm willing to put up with a little boom/drone to have that incredible sound up top. Also, there is absolutely zero drone and very quiet cruising around below 2K RPM. I will say that my neighbor is well aware of cold start ups but once warmed up and cruising under 2K it's very quiet.
Sounds good. I would like to hear it sometime. PM me or come to Southlake Cars and Coffee this weekend.
Foggy916 (10-29-2020)

Quick Reply: SOUL | 718 GT4/Spyder Exhaust Development