Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Auto blip on 1-2 upshift?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2020 | 08:11 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Default Auto blip on 1-2 upshift?

In the 991.2, when shifting from gear 1 to 2 with sport mode or sport + activated the car would blip the throttle after depressing the clutch and letting off the gas. The 6mt in the gt3 did not do this when i drove it. Does the 718 gt4 have this upshift behavior when auto blip is activated? I just saw an exhaust clip on instagram where it sounded like theres an upshift blip from 1-2.
fyi this combined with no flat shift could be a deal breaker
Old 05-21-2020 | 08:23 PM
4MIDABLE
Racer

Why would it blip the throttle on upshift? Seems counter-intuitive.
The following 2 users liked this post by 4MIDABLE:
DFW01TT (05-24-2020), Jim Rockford (05-24-2020)
Old 05-21-2020 | 08:30 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 4MIDABLE
Why would it blip the throttle on upshift? Seems counter-intuitive.
the 7mt in the 991.2 carreras does this only on the 1-2 shift. Its literally the dumbest thing ever. Someone that drives this gt4 ballz to the wall please tell me this doesnt happen in the 718

sounds exactly like this...its a double blip on the shift... maybe the driver here just hit the rev limiter in 1st gear.... oh and btw the soul opf deletes sound friggin amazing

View this post on Instagram

Old 05-21-2020 | 10:44 PM
arek
Instructor

My Spyder doesn't do that. In fact, I didn't notice any assists apart from the auto blip on downshifts, which can be turned off. Well, that and it also adds throttle when you slowly release clutch in 1st/reverse to prevent stalls.

By comparison, the 991.2 GT3 does a lot more. It has the no lift shifting (always on) and in Sport mode assists with not only down-shifts but up-shifts as well (after you put in the next gear, it will match and hold revs momentarily).
The following users liked this post:
Rennolazine (05-21-2020)
Old 05-22-2020 | 12:01 AM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by arek
My Spyder doesn't do that. In fact, I didn't notice any assists apart from the auto blip on downshifts, which can be turned off. Well, that and it also adds throttle when you slowly release clutch in 1st/reverse to prevent stalls.

By comparison, the 991.2 GT3 does a lot more. It has the no lift shifting (always on) and in Sport mode assists with not only down-shifts but up-shifts as well (after you put in the next gear, it will match and hold revs momentarily).
Have you run first gear at WOT and shifted near redline? It would only be obvious in that scenario
Old 05-22-2020 | 03:37 AM
GAZZ
Pro

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
Have you run first gear at WOT and shifted near redline? It would only be obvious in that scenario
Yep I agree.
Old 05-23-2020 | 03:01 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by arek
My Spyder doesn't do that. In fact, I didn't notice any assists apart from the auto blip on downshifts, which can be turned off. ............
So, just to confirm: with Auto Blip off, you get NO automatic throttle blip, right? Even at WOT from 1 - 2?

Originally Posted by GAZZ
Yep I agree.
Are you saying you're getting throttle blip assist from 1 - 2 at WOT with Auto Blip off?

This will be a deal breaker for me as well. I absolutely do NOT want any kind of auto blip at any time! Let's hope it gets clarified.
Old 05-23-2020 | 03:39 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by the_rider
So, just to confirm: with Auto Blip off, you get NO automatic throttle blip, right? Even at WOT from 1 - 2?

Are you saying you're getting throttle blip assist from 1 - 2 at WOT with Auto Blip off?

This will be a deal breaker for me as well. I absolutely do NOT want any kind of auto blip at any time! Let's hope it gets clarified.
i dont have the 718. My 991.2 911 did it in sport mode and sport plus. I want to know if the gt4 does this with auto blip ON on the 1-2 shift
Old 05-23-2020 | 09:23 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Got it. Yeah, that would be annoying; in your case a deal breaker! 'arek' has mentioned his Spyder doesn't do it. So, you should be good.
Old 05-23-2020 | 11:47 PM
ForeverCar
Burning Brakes

In the 991.2, when shifting from gear 1 to 2 with sport mode or sport + activated the car would blip the throttle after depressing the clutch and letting off the gas. The 6mt in the gt3 did not do this when i drove it. Does the 718 gt4 have this upshift behavior when auto blip is activated? I just saw an exhaust clip on instagram where it sounded like theres an upshift blip from 1-2.
fyi this combined with no flat shift could be a deal breaker
My hypothesis is that there’s a defect in the auto-blip programming. I had this annoying behavior with my 991.2 C2 GTS coupe manual.

Based on my own experiments, it seems to be the deceleration force that triggers it. It is as if the car is anticipating a downshift. If you say 2/3rd throttle in first to 5000rpm, clutch in and jump on the brakes relatively aggressively, auto-blip will rev to say 4000+rpm.

Somehow the programming is different on the 991.2 GT3 so I am glad I don’t experience the same issue. I am hoping the 718 GT4 programming does not have this “defect”.
Old 05-23-2020 | 11:55 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ForeverCar
My hypothesis is that there’s a defect in the auto-blip programming. I had this annoying behavior with my 991.2 C2 GTS coupe manual.

Based on my own experiments, it seems to be the deceleration force that triggers it. It is as if the car is anticipating a downshift. If you say 2/3rd throttle in first to 5000rpm, clutch in and jump on the brakes relatively aggressively, auto-blip will rev to say 4000+rpm.

Somehow the programming is different on the 991.2 GT3 so I am glad I don’t experience the same issue. I am hoping the 718 GT4 programming does not have this “defect”.
YES! exactly. Lots of people in the 991 forum experienced this and the GT3 does not do this altho it has other issues with defeating rev matching (that dont bother me).
Fingers crossed man. Somebody has to start whooping on this car and let us know.
Old 05-24-2020 | 12:08 AM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

I have a 718 GTS 6sp manual and it does not auto blip on upshift, it only auto blips on down shifts.

DFW01TT (05-24-2020)
Old 05-24-2020 | 06:15 AM
Apollo Falcon
Instructor

To the OP, I remember on the T threads that this among other reasons is why you sold your T. Is this really a deal breaker? I noticed this as well but has not put me off from the transmission as a whole. Just curious. I still ride with sport mode and traction control in sport as you mentioned a while ago.
Old 05-24-2020 | 07:09 AM
GAZZ
Pro

Im saying it just sounds like it hit the rev limiter, thats all. Mine does not and it should not do anything abnormal on the upshift, so I would not have any concern for that.
The only other possability is if traction control kicked in and backed it off a bit. All good!!
Rennolazine (05-24-2020)
Old 05-24-2020 | 09:03 AM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Apollo Falcon
To the OP, I remember on the T threads that this among other reasons is why you sold your T. Is this really a deal breaker? I noticed this as well but has not put me off from the transmission as a whole. Just curious. I still ride with sport mode and traction control in sport as you mentioned a while ago.
It wouldnt spoil me on the gt4, i would still try to drive the manual and see before spec’ing pdk. The things that bothered me most about the manual in the T was losing boost between shifts (would go from 21 psi to 4) which was jerky in a tuned car, and the 4-5-6-7 shifting was just a mess when tooling around. It required too much focus. The low tq NA engine and 6MT will fix both of those. The only confirmed negative in the gt4 (for me) is the long 2nd gear and thats not a big deal.

Quick Reply: Auto blip on 1-2 upshift?