Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Auto blip on 1-2 upshift?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2020 | 01:28 PM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Yeah, I’d think that blipping on an up shift would have to be a programming glitch. Or as HAL would say, “ This kind of thing has crept up before, and it has always been attributed to human error.”

Slightly off topic... is the auto blip default on or off in the Spyder/GT4? Since there is a dedicated button (hallelujah!), I’d assume that it’s default off and is activated when pressing the button. Can anyone confirm that? And part two (for extra credit &#128522, does the car retain the setting upon subsequent shut down/restarts or does it always go back to the default? Thanks.
Old 05-24-2020 | 08:09 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Luke is 8k rpm shifting (assuming 1-2 shift cuz it doesnt look like hes going 83mph on these turns rd). No blip
Old 05-24-2020 | 09:32 PM
Hmet
Instructor

Originally Posted by Denny Swift
Yeah, I’d think that blipping on an up shift would have to be a programming glitch. Or as HAL would say, “ This kind of thing has crept up before, and it has always been attributed to human error.”

Slightly off topic... is the auto blip default on or off in the Spyder/GT4? Since there is a dedicated button (hallelujah!), I’d assume that it’s default off and is activated when pressing the button. Can anyone confirm that? And part two (for extra credit &#128522, does the car retain the setting upon subsequent shut down/restarts or does it always go back to the default? Thanks.
Default is off. The car doesn't remember on restart except the sport suspension setting.
Doubt it has the 1 to 2 autoblip malfunction described here. Didn't Rev past 5500
The following 2 users liked this post by Hmet:
Denny Swift (05-25-2020), Rennolazine (05-24-2020)
Old 05-24-2020 | 09:40 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Just fyi in the 991.2 911 7MT its not a malfunction thats how its programmed. Confirmed with the service manager who owned one as well as well as other owners and friends.
Old 05-25-2020 | 07:00 PM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
https://youtu.be/bIGC3RETryE

Luke is 8k rpm shifting (assuming 1-2 shift cuz it doesnt look like hes going 83mph on these turns rd). No blip
Thanks for posting. I think the car sounds great. But WTF is he talking about regarding launch control? Does he know what that is?
Old 05-25-2020 | 07:09 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Thanks for posting. I think the car sounds great. But WTF is he talking about regarding launch control? Does he know what that is?
the gt3 says “launch control activated” when u floor cas and clutch simultaneously. Maybe the 981 guys had this too. He turned off TC which made it axle hop
Old 05-26-2020 | 12:22 AM
GAZZ
Pro

I confirmed today that the 718GT4 has the old 5000 RPM rev limiter when the car is not moving. Which BTW makes it a big pain for doing Dyno runs.
So, incorrectly some people think its there so you can mash the throttle while the engine holds steady at 5000 RPM, and then release the clutch for "launch control" which is stupid because there is no automatic launch control. Just user control. Whereas PDK will automatically provide a controlled slip-age release until the engine and transmission rotating speeds match for full engagement.
Anyway, 5000 RPM is too high for the fastest launch, and you'll just burn the clutch or get wheel spin ( and then likely wheel hop) or traction control intervention etc.
The following 2 users liked this post by GAZZ:
Hmet (05-26-2020), Rennolazine (09-05-2020)
Old 05-26-2020 | 12:52 AM
DFW01TT
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by arek
.... Well, that and it also adds throttle when you slowly release clutch in 1st/reverse to prevent stalls.
They're really trying to idiot proof the 6 speed.
Old 05-26-2020 | 02:25 AM
Antipodean
Instructor

From personal experience in a 718 Spyder with Auto Blip off, there are no throttle nannies in any circumstance. And yes, if you stall, the engine will restart once you fully depress the clutch pedal, without having to turn the key.

According to the manual, there is launch control. TC must be on and the vehicle must be on level ground with the parking brake off. Clutch in, 1st gear, throttle to floor, revs settle ~5000/min, fully release clutch, nannies do the rest. I have tried a couple of hard starts without TC, and even 4000/min is too much.
Old 05-26-2020 | 09:09 AM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
the gt3 says “launch control activated” when u floor cas and clutch simultaneously. Maybe the 981 guys had this too. He turned off TC which made it axle hop
Thanks. I didn't know that Porsche called that launch control. Seems more like abusive driver control. I thought this was a very interesting read regarding 0-60 times:

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...60-tests-work/
The following users liked this post:
blackholescion (05-26-2020)
Old 05-26-2020 | 12:17 PM
iliveoncaffiene
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Antipodean
From personal experience in a 718 Spyder with Auto Blip off, there are no throttle nannies in any circumstance. And yes, if you stall, the engine will restart once you fully depress the clutch pedal, without having to turn the key.
I have some more to add to this too (personal 718 GT4 experience):
There's no throttle assistance when starting off in 1st... I stalled it 3 times in a row on an incline (first real incline in this car - was not used to how much throttle I needed to give it).
And, through that experience (multiple stalls with automatic restarts once depressing the clutch) - I learned that after ~3 stalls, it doesn't start automatically anymore. I had to fully turn the key to the off position and back on to start the engine.

The only assistance you get is if the car detects a significant incline where the car could roll back, it applies a brake hold automatically. This is what really threw me off because normally my brain tells me if I'm not moving backward and I'm not on the brake, I almost have enough throttle to move forward. Well, without that sensation, I have no idea if I've got enough gas or how quickly I can let off the clutch - so I stalled multiple times figuring it out.
Old 05-26-2020 | 12:53 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

According to the manual, there is launch control. TC must be on and the vehicle must be on level ground with the parking brake off. Clutch in, 1st gear, throttle to floor, revs settle ~5000/min, fully release clutch, nannies do the rest. I have tried a couple of hard starts without TC, and even 4000/min is too much.
Any chance you could scan these pages and post it here?
Old 05-26-2020 | 09:34 PM
Antipodean
Instructor

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Any chance you could scan these pages and post it here?
Page 216
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
718GTGTKp216.pdf (1.50 MB, 189 views)
Pokerhobo (05-27-2020)
Old 05-26-2020 | 10:10 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Page 216
Thanks for this, very interesting, certainly looks like they programmed certain aspects of this into the MT cars...
Old 05-27-2020 | 03:35 PM
lee88
Racer

On 991.2 GT3 6speed the button said "Sport". FWIW on 991.2 Speedster the button says "Auto-Blip", I don't think throttle response changes at all just blipping.

In Speedster it blips on downshifts and also on up-shifts, though on up-shifts I find it's only perceptible on lazy, higher RPM up-shifts. In these cases the RPMs drop fast enough and far enough that a blip is needed to match the revs of the gear ratio. I find if I'm shifting fairly quickly it either doesn't blip or the blip isn't really perceptible to me. I haven't tried any upshifts at high RPM in the higher gears as I haven't tracked this car yet.
Rennolazine (09-05-2020)

Quick Reply: Auto blip on 1-2 upshift?