Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

The Official Gentian Blue Color Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2020, 04:01 PM
VEGAM
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 24 Posts

I wanted to get some feedback on this build before I finalize and send it to the dealer.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PMSW1S69

Things I am still on the fence about:
  • Yellow vs Silver Stitching
  • Sofas Vs Buckets
Old 07-27-2020, 04:22 PM
kart125
Burning Brakes

Received 501 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by VEGAM
I wanted to get some feedback on this build before I finalize and send it to the dealer.

• Sofas Vs Buckets
Nice build, quite complete.

My 0,02$.

If you go with yellow PCCB I would go with yellow stitching and belts.
If you go with silver, then I would get the calipers painted black. and also the belts and everything in silver.

Buckets vs Sofas... so personal... I went buckets because will track the car and will install cage and belts... need a passthrough for shoulder straps... and they look cool! For comfort and if you dont plan on tracking or tracking without harness the sofas will probably suit your needs.

All the rest (climate control, leather wrapped accesories, carbon sills.... it's so personal and polarizing that you will not get a concensus!
Old 07-27-2020, 05:24 PM
TomTarzian
Drifting

Received 573 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by kart125
Buckets vs Sofas... so personal... I went buckets because will track the car [ ] For comfort and if you don't plan on tracking or tracking without harness the sofas will probably suit your needs.
I have a friend who recently spent many, many hours and miles driving a 718 GT4 with buckets and a 718 Spyder with sofas. This is also his recommendation...sofas unless you plan to track the car quite a bit. But it is personal...YMMV! And if you go with sofas, especially the 2-way SS+, you go a long way toward paying for PCCBs. And you can spec seat heating with sofas, but not with buckets

God bless,
TT
Old 07-27-2020, 05:59 PM
VEGAM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TomTarzian
I have a friend who recently spent many, many hours and miles driving a 718 GT4 with buckets and a 718 Spyder with sofas. This is also his recommendation...sofas unless you plan to track the car quite a bit. But it is personal...YMMV! And if you go with sofas, especially the 2-way SS+, you go a long way toward paying for PCCBs. And you can spec seat heating with sofas, but not with buckets

God bless,
TT
I am planning to track the car, but not a lot (say 2-3 times a year plus some AutoX events). But I do a lot of back road driving. Aesthetics is definitely a reason for speccing LWBS but I also like how the seats wrap around you. I have SS+ in my current 991.1 GTS and it is a never ending battle with those 5 buttons to get the seat position right. Now, if SS+ on GT4 came with both memory and option for ventilation, that might have tipped the scales But I understand your point about SS+ being more comfortable/suitable for non-track driving. The heart wants what it wants.
Old 07-27-2020, 06:05 PM
VEGAM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kart125
Nice build, quite complete.

My 0,02$.

If you go with yellow PCCB I would go with yellow stitching and belts.
If you go with silver, then I would get the calipers painted black. and also the belts and everything in silver.

Buckets vs Sofas... so personal... I went buckets because will track the car and will install cage and belts... need a passthrough for shoulder straps... and they look cool! For comfort and if you dont plan on tracking or tracking without harness the sofas will probably suit your needs.

All the rest (climate control, leather wrapped accesories, carbon sills.... it's so personal and polarizing that you will not get a concensus!

Yellow calipers for sure, because I like the look. Yellow calipers compliment the GB paint quite well. I initially wanted to do just Yellow seat belts and do silver stitching because I thought Yellow stitching + seat belts will be too much for interior.
Old 07-27-2020, 06:29 PM
TomTarzian
Drifting

I am planning to track the car, but not a lot (say 2-3 times a year plus some AutoX events). But I do a lot of back road driving. Aesthetics is definitely a reason for speccing LWBS but I also like how the seats wrap around you. I have SS+ in my current 991.1 GTS and it is a never ending battle with those 5 buttons to get the seat position right. Now, if SS+ on GT4 came with both memory and option for ventilation, that might have tipped the scales But I understand your point about SS+ being more comfortable/suitable for non-track driving. The heart wants what it wants.
If the buckets fit you and are comfortable the only issue is getting in and, especially, out. P1 Designs https://p1designs.com sells beautiful inserts that can include memory foam and lumbar support to make the buckets even more comfortable. (Not so) Crazy Eddie https://www.edguardusa.com sells very well designed bolster protectors to keep the bolsters from deteriorating over time. For sure the buckets look great!

God bless,
TT
The following users liked this post:
VEGAM (07-27-2020)
Old 07-27-2020, 06:33 PM
Buckett76
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 99 Posts

Yellow calipers for sure, because I like the look. Yellow calipers compliment the GB paint quite well. I initially wanted to do just Yellow seat belts and do silver stitching because I thought Yellow stitching + seat belts will be too much for interior.
Great build, I just put mine in today very similar spec but on a Spyder, couple of comments, take whatever helps:
  • Sofa's on my build simply as I want the heated seats and find them very comfy in my GTS (and I track it just fine with them), but do like the look of the buckets
  • I went yellow stitching with the PCCB's, I saw a GT4 in that spec and it really works well, not overly yellow. Also if you go silver the door handle is in silver and I think it all fits better in one color
  • One thing I wanted from the get go I didn't see on yours is the leather steering column casing. It's not much money and really adds to the premium cabin feel you are getting with the leather dash, but personal preference, just thought I would throw that in
  • I was going to go with Alu pedals also but heard that they might be 'stuck' on pieces that can fall off and maybe not be very grippy, I ended up scratching them
  • Porsche Nav, YMMV, I have it in my GTS but left it off the Spyder, I hardly use it and if I need a map I just use google on my phone, the map in the dials is pointless anyway.
Congrats on the order!
VEGAM (07-27-2020)
Old 07-27-2020, 06:53 PM
tdlondon
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 93 Posts

• Sofas Vs Buckets
I am biased because this is very similar to my car, so I think it's great! PCCB with yellow calipers and yellow stitching and seat belts.
I ordered with bucket seats... was my first car with LWBS, I have to tell that in the beginning they felt very odd and uncomfortable after 2-3h driving. I have to say that now after 3 months with the car, it's pretty manageable and the feeling of the car sitting like a glove on your body is very very rewarding. So I'd say do bucket seats. I also track the car but no more than 2-3 times a year.
As for extras, like kart125 here mentioned, very personal. But I fully agree with your selection.
- I didn't order the LED headlights and left base. I kind of regret that as I really like the looks of the 4 dots around the projector as DLR. I'd do that today if I were ordering the car again.
- I also didn't order the dual zone A/C. I regret that more than the headlights. The standard A/C controls are totally manual like your 1980 Volkswagen would be. Has fan speed and temperature, that's all. In California where you wake up at 60 degrees and at 3pm it's 100 degrees, having to adjust the settings of fan speed and temperature constantly is a PITA.
- I'm glad you added the smoking package (even if you don't smoke). Right choice. I regret that too.
- Like Buckett76 said, the PCM with Navigation is probably expendable. It's nice if you want to use the awful Porsche track app. But there are other track recording apps out there with dongles you can plug on the OBDII port and get a better result.

VEGAM (07-27-2020)
Old 07-27-2020, 07:03 PM
tdlondon
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 93 Posts

Post #131 on this thread has some pictures of a silver stitching interior. Post #49 has some of my yellow stitching interior.
Here some other pictures I have from another car (not mine) with yellow stitching. The difference to mine is I have the leather steering wheel and I have leather trims vs. carbon fiber.

Old 07-27-2020, 07:37 PM
GT325
Pro

Received 194 Likes on 109 Posts

• Sofas Vs Buckets
Easy. Silver stitch all the way. Buckets over sofa if you can tolerate the acrobatics of getting in and out.
Bluehinder (08-20-2020)
Old 07-27-2020, 08:24 PM
TomTarzian
Drifting

Originally Posted by tdlondon
Post #131 on this thread has some pictures of a silver stitching interior. Post #49 has some of my yellow stitching interior.
Here some other pictures I have from another car (not mine) with yellow stitching. The difference to mine is I have the leather steering wheel and I have leather trims vs. carbon fiber.

The yellow does look great.

Good bless,
TT
Old 07-27-2020, 08:30 PM
TomTarzian
Drifting

Originally Posted by tdlondon
Would appreciate seeing more pictures of your leather trims.

God bless,
TT
Old 07-27-2020, 08:34 PM
VEGAM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TomTarzian
If the buckets fit you and are comfortable the only issue is getting in and, especially, out. P1 Designs https://p1designs.com sells beautiful inserts that can include memory foam and lumbar support to make the buckets even more comfortable. (Not so) Crazy Eddie https://www.edguardusa.com sells very well designed bolster protectors to keep the bolsters from deteriorating over time. For sure the buckets look great!

God bless,
TT
Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, definitely going to buy the bolster protectors. Might get seat inserts depending on how I feel after driving for a few weeks.
Old 07-27-2020, 08:43 PM
kart125
Burning Brakes

Received 501 Likes on 259 Posts

The stitching is quite subtle and I dont think it would be too much yellow (I hope not because this is how I specced my car). If ypu go silver all the way (belts etc) it would still look badass!! More of a monochrome look. This is whats cool about configuring these cars. A lot of room to make it truly yours!
Old 07-27-2020, 08:48 PM
VEGAM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Buckett76
Great build, I just put mine in today very similar spec but on a Spyder, couple of comments, take whatever helps:
  • Sofa's on my build simply as I want the heated seats and find them very comfy in my GTS (and I track it just fine with them), but do like the look of the buckets
  • I went yellow stitching with the PCCB's, I saw a GT4 in that spec and it really works well, not overly yellow. Also if you go silver the door handle is in silver and I think it all fits better in one color
  • One thing I wanted from the get go I didn't see on yours is the leather steering column casing. It's not much money and really adds to the premium cabin feel you are getting with the leather dash, but personal preference, just thought I would throw that in
  • I was going to go with Alu pedals also but heard that they might be 'stuck' on pieces that can fall off and maybe not be very grippy, I ended up scratching them
  • Porsche Nav, YMMV, I have it in my GTS but left it off the Spyder, I hardly use it and if I need a map I just use google on my phone, the map in the dials is pointless anyway.
Congrats on the order!
I wish I could get the Spyder. Such a beautiful car with top down. Unfortunately I live in PNW and I don't get to drive my 911 Cab top down as much as I would like. And manual roof will add to that misery.

Thanks for your suggestions.
  • 100% agree on sterling column casing in leather. I thought I had selected it but maybe I missed it.
  • A few reviews I found online about Aluminum pedals said they are unbelievably grippy. I will try to find more data points.
  • Porsche Nav was a difficult choice. I do a lot of backroad driving and most of the times I don't have cellular reception. Having Nav built in the car is helpful in these situations but I see your point. Nav in 718s is not great (like in latest 911s or Macan) and is very expensive too. Just need to remember to download offline maps before I go out on my drives. That is the only downside I guess.

Quick Reply: The Official Gentian Blue Color Thread