Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

While We Wait

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2020, 10:02 PM
GTChamp
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

As a 2018 Type R owner, can assert it is probably the best combination of practical, trackable, affordable enough to track hard. It's just surprisingly good for a FWD, 4-seater, with 40+ cubic feet of cargo space. That said, really looking forward to something a little less reasonable (2020 718 GT4 Allocation)
The following 2 users liked this post by GTChamp:
718GT4.0 (03-24-2020), djonesdnd (03-23-2020)
Old 03-24-2020, 12:14 AM
MEM82
Burning Brakes

Received 271 Likes on 151 Posts

Good post!

I grew up a car fan. My dad had 2 bmw 2002's (which he sold before i was born), and a 1977 530i. I loved BMW's (and still do...but not as much as my Porsche obsession). He would bring home car magazines he would get in his office
and i would memorize stats and read articles from a very early age. As we grew older and the baseball travel games and ski trips started we switched to SUV's. My cars are a 1999 bmw m3 since new....car sat on the lot a longgg time..unpopular interior combo -red with orange(modena) interior (but i think it looks unreal)...got an amazing deal. (33k miles!) and was always a fun weekend car hence the low mileage and a 2006 wrx sti since new with some modifications (115k miles). The sti will need a new motor soon but instead of getting a new car i'll get a motor. My wife has a 2017 X5 that we will be replacing next month since her lease is ending for an X7 or X5.

Porsche obsession really started when i was about 13 and saw the 993. Absolutely blown away. College dorm was filled with porsche 996 posters. Got hooked on GT car with the 996 with the first GT3. Always wanted a porsche, particularly a GT car. Have been staring at porsche pictures and reading forums for 10 years straight. When 981 GT4 and 991.1 GT3 were out...couldnt buy at the time. same with the 997's. 991.2 GT3 tried to get an allocation but couldnt. 718 GT4 struggled mightily but someone came through last minute and I'm super super super excited. Intentions are a weekend fun car and take it to the track. I have shortly driven (on test drives) 996 C2, 718 GTS, 991 T and S, Macan GTS and Panamera 4S/ Sport Turismo turbo. Absolutely blown away by the feeling behind the wheel. Ive waited for this day for so long I wanted to be the first owner but would absolutely have not minded a pre-owned one. Still i heldout.

Someone people like vacations, some like watches, some like food. Me? Cars. I'm simple. Outside of work, Let me spend time with my family, exercise at the gym, play video games when I can, and think about cars. I always joke with my wife..."How some people do not like cars is something i'll never understand..."
She of course makes the analogy you liking cars is like me liking chanel bags. to why i always reply..."Yea thats great but you can't drive a handbag"

I'm extremely excited for my 718 GT4.
The following 3 users liked this post by MEM82:
718GT4.0 (03-24-2020), Dbridges (03-24-2020), djonesdnd (03-24-2020)
Old 03-24-2020, 12:52 PM
AndyE1976
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts

I ordered by 2013 Boxster S on my birthday in 2012, originally looking to get a Cayman R, but when the new Boxster was released it was a significant step up on the 987. I specced it with all the options including X73 without even test driving that suspension. Then they brought out the GTS which I would have got if I'd known it was coming and then Spyder/GT4 which were only a small amount more than my S! I couldn't quite make the financing work to move though at the time.

Now 7 years on, I put an order in for the 718 GT4, almost 7 years to the day since ordering the Boxster. The Boxster has been my daily driver for 7 years and 55k miles. It does everything and is going to be hard to replace.

Originally I was looking at Euro delivery, but I wasn't willing to pay for it and my dealer wasn't either on a GT car, so instead they gave me an early allocation. Which actually turned out to be a good thing with everything that has happened in the world. So my Gentian Blue GT4 went into production 3/6 with a 4/4 completion date and is now somewhere in the middle of the production line waiting for everyone to come back and finish it off. Hopefully the car will be problem free given that a) it's a Friday afternoon car and b) it would seem like there will be 2+ weeks where it sits on the line. I'm sure Porsche quality control is going to make sure it's great.

The following 6 users liked this post by AndyE1976:
718GT4.0 (03-24-2020), CDACH (03-24-2020), Dbridges (03-24-2020), djonesdnd (03-24-2020), Mash (03-24-2020), MEM82 (03-24-2020) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-24-2020, 05:16 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,739 Likes on 2,756 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyE1976
I ordered by 2013 Boxster S on my birthday in 2012, originally looking to get a Cayman R, but when the new Boxster was released it was a significant step up on the 987. I specced it with all the options including X73 without even test driving that suspension. Then they brought out the GTS which I would have got if I'd known it was coming and then Spyder/GT4 which were only a small amount more than my S! I couldn't quite make the financing work to move though at the time.

Now 7 years on, I put an order in for the 718 GT4, almost 7 years to the day since ordering the Boxster. The Boxster has been my daily driver for 7 years and 55k miles. It does everything and is going to be hard to replace.

Originally I was looking at Euro delivery, but I wasn't willing to pay for it and my dealer wasn't either on a GT car, so instead they gave me an early allocation. Which actually turned out to be a good thing with everything that has happened in the world. So my Gentian Blue GT4 went into production 3/6 with a 4/4 completion date and is now somewhere in the middle of the production line waiting for everyone to come back and finish it off. Hopefully the car will be problem free given that a) it's a Friday afternoon car and b) it would seem like there will be 2+ weeks where it sits on the line. I'm sure Porsche quality control is going to make sure it's great.
I was kind of wondering the same thing, mine was supposed to start building last week, did it get started, did they just finish of what was already started so there weren't partially finished cars... just a curiosity I suppose. One would think that the production manager/team knew about the Friday shutdown and the best way to ensure an orderly production stop. Personally I would think they would concentrate on a clean stop to work, not partially finished cars or processes.
Old 03-24-2020, 07:11 PM
911F1
Rennlist Member

Received 322 Likes on 196 Posts

^My GT4 was in the body shop during the stop. Probably sitting on the assembly with no hood and doors. Poor little car...

This will be my 4th Porsche. 997.1 C2S, 991.1 C2S, 993 C2 (still own). The GT4 will be my first GT car. Cant wait!

The following users liked this post:
Mash (03-24-2020)
Old 03-24-2020, 07:43 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

It would be very interesting to see what the line looks like right now, I would be surprised to see car spread out along the way in various states of finish, they must have a check list of sorts to confirm that during the build that each station has been completed?
Old 03-24-2020, 07:58 PM
djonesdnd
Advanced

Received 106 Likes on 32 Posts

Why would there be any difference in end of day stop of production and shutting down for a weekend as to a prolonged period of idleness. I could see where the paint shop and paint prep might need additional attention, but not the regular line.
Old 03-24-2020, 08:06 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by djonesdnd
Why would there be any difference in end of day stop of production and shutting down for a weekend as to a prolonged period of idleness. I could see where the paint shop and paint prep might need additional attention, but not the regular line.
I would think that the line gets stopped in a very specific way either for end of day or end of week so that the restart is just as clean.

This might be different because they knew in advance that this is not for a weekend and that it was a minimum of 2 weeks with the possibility of longer, hence my curiosity.
Old 03-24-2020, 08:58 PM
AndyE1976
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts

I expect they completed a stop on the line rather than leave a post-it note with the bolts they haven't fitted yet LOL
The following 2 users liked this post by AndyE1976:
Mash (03-25-2020), Westcoast (03-25-2020)
Old 03-25-2020, 10:07 AM
718GT4.0
User

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts

Great stories, I'm in!

I've been a life-long bimmerhead, owning several M3s since 2008, and left the platform with the M4. Really loved those V8 mills, and what a glorious car on the track for what it was...(great all-around grand tourer). I think in combination I put over 150 track days on those cars, really lived and loved it! After picking up the M4, I somehow "lost that loving feeling" after a year or so. The M4 is hands-down supremely capable over the E92s before it, but it lost its soul going Turbo (at least for me). I finally decided it was time to transition into a Porsche, and I honestly wanted a 997 CS, but found I the 981 to be so much sweeter to drive around corners.

5 years in, over 60k miles, I am hoping to keep this 981 as a daily. Completely problem-free, it just runs, guns, and tracks like champ all-day, everyday. I think it's one of the best value sports cars right now imo.
The following 2 users liked this post by 718GT4.0:
AlexCeres (03-25-2020), djonesdnd (03-25-2020)
Old 03-25-2020, 01:49 PM
josephr25
Burning Brakes

Received 631 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3NY
Great thread! I'm in...

I have had way too may cars since I can remember... I got into Porsche late in the game buying a 2016 Cayman GTS 6MT after owning mainly Corvettes and Camaros all my life. That was a great car and made me wish that I got a GT4 when I saw one. Then I heard about the GT3 Touring and that car sounded like it was built for me. GT3s were very hard to get in 2018 and I had pretty much given up on the idea of finding one so I bought a 911T which was calling me from a dealer's showroom - car looked amazing - colors, etc. were like I would have ordered it. Driving it was a different story. 911T was way underpowered and sounded like a vacuum cleaner next to my Cayman GTS. I really wished I hadn't bought it. Then I found a new GT3 Touring on the internet that had just come in to a dealer as a stock unit. I booked a plane ticket and flew there that day and made a deal. The car was trailered to my house (actually to the local Xpel dealer). Now I had three Porsches - two that I loved (Cayman GTS and GT3 Touring) and the 911T which I really wasn't driving anymore. Dealer that sold me 911T offered me an allocation for a GT3 RS which I took and traded both the Cayman GTS and the 911T on. I didn't really want to trade the Cayman GTS but had to at the time since the RS was so expensive. So finally I had two amazing GT cars and I put an early deposit on the GT4. The dealer gave me their first GT4 allocation. My car was built (V300) on 3/11/20 and entered Port of Emden (V331) on 3/16/20. Scheduled to ship on 4/3/20 but who knows whether that will happen...

Current garage:
2019 Porsche GT3 RS
2018 Porsche GT3 Touring
2019 BMW M850i (daily driver)
2019 Corvette Z06
2019 Corvette Grand Sport
2020 Camaro 2SS 1LE
2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE
2019 Honda Civic Type R
How do you like your SS 1LE? I have a 2017 version. I know this is the 718 Spyder/GT 4 forum (I really like the Spyder and is one of my options), but I thought this was an interesting thread.

I am not an owner yet, although my dad had an old 911T before I was born, and our family had a 1984 928 after that. He also said he passed up on a salvaged 930 back in the day and said he should have bought it. I really liked the 997 style, but of course, I could never afford one.

To fast forward to 2017 I went to Le Mans in and when I heard the 911 RSRs I couldn't believe that sound... it was usually the Corvettes drowing out everything, but the 911s were in a totally different world. I kept thinking about that sound and watching so many videos on it, I told myself (and everybody) I had to get a GT3. After trying the last couple of years of trying to make something work, all of it didn't make sense financially (good thing I am surrounded by people who are a ton smarter with money than I am) I gave up. It was a fun dream to have, but I wanted to at least be able to say "I tried." Fortunately, there were other ways to get the Porsche "experience;" I.E. attending IMSA at Long Beach and even the WEC race in Japan a couple of years ago. I even booked a nice hospitality package at Le Mans this year before the whole world came to this standstill.

Fast forward till now, due to some fortunate financial moves I am closer to the dream than I ever thought I would be... I've said too much about it to everybody; and i would rather enjoy the car now than rather at 60, so I'm all in at this point (barring a financial, family or medical emergency, of course)
The following users liked this post:
djonesdnd (03-25-2020)

Quick Reply: While We Wait