Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

While We Wait

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2020 | 12:52 PM
djonesdnd
Advanced

Smile While We Wait

I'm thinking it would help pass the time while we wait for production to crank back up to discuss what our rides are currently and why we have ordered a new GT4 or Spyder. Although there have been some 911's and a Spyder in my family, my first Porsche was a 2006 Cayman S purchased in November 2007. An absolutely perfect car with less than 3,000 miles on the clock which now has 32,600 miles showing. I have never been disatified with it and look forward to driving the car. I don't trip in my Cayman, it is basically my fun car. I live in Knoxville Tn, considered the Gateway to the Smokey Mtns. There are many great driving back roads here with two that I would classify as amoung the worlds best. Firstly, Highway 129 with an eleven mile stretch better known as The Tail of the Dragon. Think 318 curves within this 11 mile elevation changing two lane road pretty much maintained to perfection. Other than the curves, the next best attribute is that there are no side roads to worry about. Without question The Tail of the Dragon is probably the number one destination for sport cars and motorcycles this side of the Mississippi. Car clubs from Florida to Canada come to slay the Dragon. The second most popular stretch of challenging road is called the Devil's Triangle, located just North of Oak Ridge Tn. This is also a great drive but with occasional residential areas.

So, what motivated me to order a Spyder? I was invited to drive a recently traded in 981 GT4 at my local dealer, Harper's Porsche. I took the bait wanting to see just what the difference was between my much loved Cayman S and the upgrade GT4. I was given the keys and turned lose to go wherever I wanted. I have lived most of my life with the code of don't mess with happy, but shortly after leaving the parking lot it was clear I was in a different kind of beast and I have never been able to put that test drive behind me. The hook was set and I knew it. I passed on a few GT4 and Spyder trades holding out for the new 718 model. I did put my name on waiting list about two years ago. Once it was confirmed that the Spyder would be a roofless GT4, I singled in on the drop top. My Spyder is now stuck in the production shop and will stay there until the band is lifted. In the meantime, I will continue to enjoy what has been a blast to drive, pretty much, perfect car. Not a bad consolation prize while I wait for the new ride.

Last edited by djonesdnd; 03-23-2020 at 03:53 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Mash (03-23-2020)
Old 03-23-2020 | 01:26 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I bought my first Porsche back in early 2006 as well, it was used 2003 Boxster, still under warranty and I was having a blast with it! My local dealership did the service and I regularly cruised through the showroom not only to see what they had but to learn more about these cars first hand. As it turned out they had a brand new Boxster in the same Speed Yellow of my 2003, of course the sales guy suggested I needed this new car, I explained not really as I already had one! The year wore on and soon it was fall, that 2006 was still in the showroom and now they really wanted me to buy it, it was one of the rare times not only was Porsche offering an incentive, but the dealer was matching it, a total of $10k off! I was getting weak, my 2003 was fine but would soon be out of warranty, needed some tires etc, etc so I pitched them a deal, my 2003 Boxster and my 1991 RX7, both in excellent condition, I figured I was safe, there was no way they wanted two other sports cars at the end of season just to move one new one? I was wrong, soon we had a deal, I handed the 2 sets of keys, they handed me one set and off I went, it was late October but I had my first new Porsche!

I kept that car until late 2012 when I took delivery of a factory ordered 2013 Boxster S, I was in heaven, my first factory order since a 1988 Corvette, she was a beauty, DBM, 6MT and 20" Carrera S wheels in Platinum. So four more years pass, the 981 Spyder/GT4 were announced, I still wanted a cab so I looked at the 981 Spyder but was very disappointed that it didn't have all of the goodies the GT4 had, suspension and engine coming up a bit short in comparison, so I opted out of my #1 spot for the Spyder and order a 2016 Boxster GTS also in DBM with a 6MT and those 20" wheels. Soon after I took deleivery I dropped a bunch of money on it and installed a factory Spyder front end compete with every part including the larger radiator and all, then threw on GT4 side scoops and the rear diffusor to complete the project, it was all factory and looked great, I was happy and thought that I had my forever Porsche, last of the flat-6 mid-engine cars...

Of course somebody at Porsche was listening, not long after I had finished all of the work on my GTS the rumours of the return of not only the flat-6 but a new Spyder as well, so I told myself it won't be up to what it would take to get me out of the GTS and I set the bar high, I told myself at least a 4.0l NA Flat-6 with 400HP, any less and I stay put with my modified GTS. The rumours grew more frequent and soon hard to ignore then a reveal at Goodwood, I knew I was done and so did my SA, we shook hands and made the deal, he said I was assured they would have an allocation for me especially if they could have my GTS in trade, less than 30 days later they had my GTS and it sold in under 4 days, that was July 2019.

So here we are nearing the end of March 2020, I have been essentially Porsche-less for 9 months now, I have my 718 Spyder order which was to begin building last week, of course it is all on hold now, my most recent forever Porsche will hopefully get built and deliver later this year, they say the patient will be rewarded, my fingers are crossed that this is true.

Last edited by Westcoast; 03-23-2020 at 02:54 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Westcoast:
Dbridges (03-23-2020), Mash (03-23-2020)
Old 03-23-2020 | 02:17 PM
Jim Rockford
Burning Brakes

Westcoast seems you and I have travelled very similar paths.

I bought a 1989 RX-7 in 2000 and had that car for about 15 years. Only had 30,000 kms when I bought it and to this day it’s the finest example of an FC that I’ve encountered. Was very sad to see it go but I got power hungry driving RX-8’s, Mazdaspeed3’s and Mazdaspeed6’s so I decided to finally part with the RX-7 (was not a Turbo II). I bought a 2000 Boxster held that for a few years then I bought a 2005 Boxster S which I currently own. The base spec 2000 was a great car in its own ways and held its own on enjoyment level versus the S I have now. I am pursuing the Spyder because I think it will be one of the last and best pure sportscars ever made. I didn’t really plan to climb the ladder this quickly but I think I have to seize this opportunity while I can.
Old 03-23-2020 | 03:04 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

@Jim Rockford Agreed, similar paths so you might like these two pictures, my 1991 RX-7 and my 2016 Boxster GTS, although tough to tell they are very similar shades of blue.

1991 RX-7 NA

2016 Boxster GTS
718GT4.0 (03-24-2020)
Old 03-23-2020 | 03:13 PM
GT3NY
Instructor

Great thread! I'm in...

I have had way too may cars since I can remember... I got into Porsche late in the game buying a 2016 Cayman GTS 6MT after owning mainly Corvettes and Camaros all my life. That was a great car and made me wish that I got a GT4 when I saw one. Then I heard about the GT3 Touring and that car sounded like it was built for me. GT3s were very hard to get in 2018 and I had pretty much given up on the idea of finding one so I bought a 911T which was calling me from a dealer's showroom - car looked amazing - colors, etc. were like I would have ordered it. Driving it was a different story. 911T was way underpowered and sounded like a vacuum cleaner next to my Cayman GTS. I really wished I hadn't bought it. Then I found a new GT3 Touring on the internet that had just come in to a dealer as a stock unit. I booked a plane ticket and flew there that day and made a deal. The car was trailered to my house (actually to the local Xpel dealer). Now I had three Porsches - two that I loved (Cayman GTS and GT3 Touring) and the 911T which I really wasn't driving anymore. Dealer that sold me 911T offered me an allocation for a GT3 RS which I took and traded both the Cayman GTS and the 911T on. I didn't really want to trade the Cayman GTS but had to at the time since the RS was so expensive. So finally I had two amazing GT cars and I put an early deposit on the GT4. The dealer gave me their first GT4 allocation. My car was built (V300) on 3/11/20 and entered Port of Emden (V331) on 3/16/20. Scheduled to ship on 4/3/20 but who knows whether that will happen...

Current garage:
2019 Porsche GT3 RS
2018 Porsche GT3 Touring
2019 BMW M850i (daily driver)
2019 Corvette Z06
2019 Corvette Grand Sport
2020 Camaro 2SS 1LE
2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Dbridges (03-23-2020)
Old 03-23-2020 | 04:00 PM
djonesdnd
Advanced

GT3NY, Wow! What a garage. How in the world do you decide which car to drive? Do you have a method/system by which you keep the oil lubricating those many engines? With this many high end cars and also having a Honda Civic Type R in the bunch says you are definitely a car guy.
Old 03-23-2020 | 06:30 PM
Mash
Instructor

Hello Gents,

Great idea, i'll gladley take part. I am 36 years of age and from the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. As most rennlist members here, I'm a huge fan of the sportscar and grew up with the desire to own and drive the best cars I could only dream of. At the age of 12, I was introduced to Go Karting in the south of France, and started racing against the clock. By age 18 I was off to Dubai for college at the American university of Sharjah. While living in Dubai, i started competeing in the local Rotax championships for a good 4 years. Age 26, took part in the Formula BMW championship back home in Saudi. Age 31 & 32, participated in 2 seasons with Formula Gulf 1000 which took place between Dubai Autodrome & Yas Marine Circuit in Abu Dhabi ( F1 Circuit ). This year, was picked up by my Saudi government to race for my country in the Jaguar I-Pace Etrophy, which is an opening race for Formula E.

So, I started with a small brief on my racing background, just to share with you my love and passion for cars and motorsport in general. A true petrolhead HERE

Here is the list of cars I have owned over the years, in order_

1- Peugeot 406 Coupe ( designed by pininfarina ) - New
2- BMW E46 M3 SMG - New
3- 2006 C6 Z06 - New
4- FJ Cruiser - New
5- Ferrari 430 Scuderia - New
6- Mercedes E300 2011 - New
7- 2009 Mitsubishi EVO RS - New
8- 2014 Jeep SRT - New
9- 2015 Subaru STI - New
10- 2013 BMW M5 - Used

So, these 10 cars have been from my first car purchase ever to date. If you haven't noticed, there isn't a PORSCHE on that list. However, this is going to change in the next 2 weeks or so, because I will hopefully be receiving my FIRST PORSCHE car EVER
It's been LONG over due!!!! Don't get me wrong, I have driven many Porsches on the road and in the race track, and pushed them very HARD. Absolutly LOVE them!!!! GT3'S, GT3 RS & even the GT2 RS, spanked them ALL. They are truly race cars for the road. However, with that said, since its going to be my first P car ever, I wanted something special and different. Therefore, I went for a 718 SPYDER CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!

My Spyder finished production on March 6th, Ship sailed on March 11th, dealer tells me the car should arrive at the port on the 31st March. So, I'm thinking early April delivery hopefully. As of now, I only have one stallion in the garage, and the Spyder will join her in the stable.

2009 430 Scuderia, owned since new to date.

My Spyder spec will be similar to this.

My Spyder Spec_
GT silver / silver wheels / black calipers / classic interior / LWBS / BOSE / upgraded headlights / red & black roof
The following 2 users liked this post by Mash:
718GT4.0 (03-24-2020), Dbridges (03-23-2020)
Old 03-23-2020 | 06:38 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

@Mash Wow, nice Ferrari and quite this list of cars!

My Spyder finished production on March 6th, Ship sailed on March 11th, dealer tells me the car should arrive at the port on the 31st March. So, I'm thinking early April delivery hopefully. As of now, I only have one stallion in the garage, and the Spyder will join her in the stable.
Congrats on your Spyder and it making out before the gate was closed!
Mash (03-23-2020)
Old 03-23-2020 | 06:43 PM
Mash
Instructor

Thank you
Old 03-23-2020 | 07:06 PM
djonesdnd
Advanced

Mash, that is a stunning 430 Scudera, definitely a keeper. My Spyder is also GTSM in color. It was a toss of the coin sort of thing when choosing a color. I really like the white also.
Mash (03-23-2020)
Old 03-23-2020 | 07:21 PM
Mash
Instructor

Originally Posted by djonesdnd
Mash, that is a stunning 430 Scudera, definitely a keeper. My Spyder is also GTSM in color. It was a toss of the coin sort of thing when choosing a color. I really like the white also.
Thank you 🙏

I also had your similar Toss of coin moment, but it wasn’t Regarding the exterior color, as I was fixated on GT Silver. Instead, it was regarding wether to go Classic interior with red roof, or black interior with red stitching etc. One is a classic approach, the other is more of a sports car / GT approach. It was a very hard decision, because I honestly loved both approach’s in their on ways.

in the end, I decided to go with the classic approach because I plan to keep this car forever & ever. It made more sense to me with that combo.

Old 03-23-2020 | 07:44 PM
djonesdnd
Advanced

Mash, yes the Classic Interior was very tempting for me as well. If it had come with a black dash I would have chosen it as well. Before finalizing my choice, I made a visit to my local dealer an sat in two different cars with the red dash on a bright sunny day. The black is definitely less reflective, but a little less attractive IMHO. So, I will have a black leather interior/silver stitching along with a leather steering wheel and shifter boot, two way seats as my old bones are not compatible with the LWBS.
Mash (03-23-2020)
Old 03-23-2020 | 08:02 PM
Dbridges
Intermediate

Thanks for sharing those histories around Porsche. My story is pretty similar even if it is a few years longer than most. My first Porsche bug came while I was in high school. I was studying every page of a magazine about “all the performance cars available in 1967”. The one page I couldn’t get out of my head was about the 911S with it’s little 2.0 litre engine and 6 cylinders being quicker than just about all the others. I couldn’t afford a P-car until after college, so I made the best of the Mustang and SS Chevy until then. My first P-car was a 356B coupe, and although it was not in great shape, it was fun. Soon after I changed to a 911T and it stayed with me for quite a while, engine/trans rebuild, re-paint and a few suspension adjustments. Did a lot of SCCA and PCA auto-x over a few years. Also spent a lot of time lusting over the Turbos at the local dealer, although they were way out of my means. Then I found a used ’70 911E sunroof coupe that I couldn’t resist. Most fun car I ever owned, and I became emotionally attached. Another engine re-build and re-paint and she was really nice. Finished 2nd in class in the ’81 Parade auto-x. A motorcycle crash, a move to Europe, and some family constraints took me completely out of Porsches for almost 20 years. In 2001, I ordered a 986 Boxster S and that was an awesome return, but didn’t last long as another overseas adventure took me out of Porsches until 2013 when I bought a 991 Carrera S. It was a wonderful car and I drove it through at least 30 states as well as Canada. I finally realized what I thought would be the dream and in 2016 I ordered a 991.2 Turbo S. Its hard to find fault with the car I had dreamed of for 40 years! It was a beast! But, it didn’t move my soul, and I couldn’t get attached to it emotionally like I had hoped. Maybe it was too much car. Six seconds and you’re in jail. When I realized that there was a new Spyder coming, it seemed to be the car I had missed since the 911E. Raw, flat 6, MT… Sold the Turbo and got on the wait list for a Spyder. Delivery planned for 5/22, but that obviously will not be the case… Can’t wait… My build PL1M6CG6.
The following 3 users liked this post by Dbridges:
CDACH (03-23-2020), djonesdnd (03-23-2020), Mash (03-23-2020)
Old 03-23-2020 | 09:46 PM
GT3NY
Instructor

Originally Posted by djonesdnd
GT3NY, Wow! What a garage. How in the world do you decide which car to drive? Do you have a method/system by which you keep the oil lubricating those many engines? With this many high end cars and also having a Honda Civic Type R in the bunch says you are definitely a car guy.
Unfortunately the cars are stored with battery tenders for the winter months. During the driving season, I actually keep an Excel spreadsheet documenting which cars are driven on what days and what car needs to be driven! Other than that I just drive whichever one I want... Life is good!
Old 03-23-2020 | 09:48 PM
Pokerhobo
Burning Brakes

Growing up in high school and college, I wasn't a Porsche fan. Just never really thought much about them. My dream cars were the E46 M3 and original NSX. It wasn't til much later in life after having kids, that I decided to add a sports car to our existing 2 vehicle family (I'm also a SUV fan owning a LX470). My list was actually pretty short, the 981 Cayman S and the RS5. I test drove the Cayman first and was sold.

Ordered one shortly after and didn't even test drive the RS5. My order was on a boat coming to WA, but the GTS got announced. Talked to my dealer and was able to put in a GTS order giving up y initial discount on the S order. Picked up the 981 GTS and was very happy. Took it to the track and had a great time. Then the 981 GT4 got announced. Felt the urge to upgrade and contacted the dealer again and no allocations available. They did eventually call me back on one that was arriving, but I wanted to custom order it like my GTS. However, knowing how hard it was to get allocations, I immediately put myself on lists of 2 dealers for the next gen GT4 (which would be the 718), this is around Sept 2016.

The next year, my wife needed a new vehicle to replace her Lexus RX300. She originally wanted the Q5, but I recommended she test drive the new Macan S. Again, we didn't need to go to the Audi dealer as she was sold and left it to me to spec the vehicle. Decided it would be cool to have two GTS's in the garage, so ordered a Macan GTS for her.

With official news of the 718 GT4, I pinged both dealers in Jan of this year to see if any allocations were available. I wasn't really expecting an allocation, but wanted to make sure they knew I was still interested. One of them had none. The other said an allocation was available! I immediately jumped on it. So far, production started on March 3rd with expected delivery first week of June. With the current situation, I'm not sure what's going on and the dealer hasn't given me any update, but I'm ok with waiting.
The following 3 users liked this post by Pokerhobo:
Dbridges (03-23-2020), djonesdnd (03-23-2020), Westcoast (03-24-2020)

Quick Reply: While We Wait