Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Newbie Questions about the 718 GT4

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2020, 06:42 PM
718GT4.0
User

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by StudGarden
Wouldn't that just protect the consumable plastic skid plate itself? And even further reduce clearance?
Depends how you look at it, these slippy stick on guards are not very thick to apply and would protect the scraping of the actual lip itself.

For example, you come across a driveway dip you misjudged and you scrape on these slippy guards and can simply reapproach (lip itself protected)

I'd rather change out the slippy guards than pay for another lip piece...
Old 02-01-2020, 01:43 PM
Hmet
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Update: I just scraped the front lip spoiler of my 718 Spyder. Any idea where can one find a replacement? couldnt find it on suncoast.
Tried to upload the pic. no success
Old 02-13-2020, 01:40 PM
seahack
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 35 Posts

Just curious, how much vertical adjustment is there with the front suspension of the GT4. Is it possible to set the suspension up 10 mm? Anyone have experience with this?

Thank you. I am just trying to understand.
Old 02-13-2020, 02:29 PM
911F1
Rennlist Member

Received 322 Likes on 196 Posts

How much is a new 718 GT4 lip piece? For cars with painted lips I think the slippy guards ^ would be great.
Old 02-13-2020, 03:04 PM
iliveoncaffiene
Burning Brakes

Received 399 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by Hmet
Update: I just scraped the front lip spoiler of my 718 Spyder. Any idea where can one find a replacement? couldnt find it on suncoast.
Tried to upload the pic. no success
The black plastic piece? Unless you literally broke it or it looks completely horrendous - I'd hold out on just replacing it until it inevitably gets scraped up more.
It's a ~$100-200 part and intended to be a consumable.
Old 02-14-2020, 07:08 PM
Hmet
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

It doesn’t look very good because it was scraped from the front. The part isn’t available yet but yes it’s about 200 usd. I will order one and and keep it until it is really necessary to change.
Old 02-15-2020, 06:25 PM
LittleBlueGT
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by seahack
Just curious, how much vertical adjustment is there with the front suspension of the GT4. Is it possible to set the suspension up 10 mm? Anyone have experience with this?

Thank you. I am just trying to understand.
Almost 100% positive you can lift it 10mm. If you look at the pics there is approximately 10mm of threads exposed on the GT4/Spyder's coil-overs to allow for the car to be raised. I have yet to hear of someone rasiing it, but it is often they take advanatge of the about 15mm of threads lef to lower the car.
Old 02-16-2020, 07:30 AM
seahack
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by LittleBlueGT
Almost 100% positive you can lift it 10mm. If you look at the pics there is approximately 10mm of threads exposed on the GT4/Spyder's coil-overs to allow for the car to be raised. I have yet to hear of someone rasiing it, but it is often they take advanatge of the about 15mm of threads lef to lower the car.
Thank you. I will look for a photo.
Old 07-27-2020, 08:45 PM
Laptime
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by seahack
Greetings. I am considering ordering a new 718 Cayman GT4. For those of you with experience, I have some "newbie" questions about the car:

1. Is every driveway, speed bump and pothole a hassle?
2. How much scraping is there with the front lip?
3. How flexible is the front lip if it does scrape? Does it crack and break off?
4, Have you ever replaced the front lip?
5. How is rearward visibility with the fixed wing?

Please share your experiences. Thank you.
My driveway is fairly level with only a 1” or so step down to street level. As a result, I had no concerns about scraping the lip.

However when I drove down onto the street in my new 718 GT4 I noticed a strange noise each time I slowly eased the car down that 1” step at the end of the driveway. I initially thought it was an odd sound being made by the front suspension. In actuality the lip WAS making some contact with the surface of the road where the road surface is crowned. Frankly, I was amazed!

So to answer your question, yes the lip is quite susceptible to damage. Vertical clearance under the lip is only 5” and because it projects several feet in front of the front wheel centerlines, it doesn’t take much of a difference in grade to result in contact.

As it turns out, I learned to steer off the driveway at a slight angle so that one front tire at a time leaves the driveway surface. Problem solved!

Worst case, the lip is apparently fairly easy to replace if and when the time comes.

The wing is certainly visible in the interior mirror but there is no issue being able to see what’s going on behind.

Thanks

Last edited by Laptime; 07-27-2020 at 09:21 PM.

Quick Reply: Newbie Questions about the 718 GT4