Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

GT4 Build close to lock - let's talk options

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2019, 01:01 PM
bk_911
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 104 Posts
Default GT4 Build close to lock - let's talk options

-Is sport chrono necessary?
-Leather dash?

I'm not entirely convinced I care about those 2 options.

What does one really get for sport chrono other than a clock I never look at and an app I don't use.

Leather dash looks cool but 1500 for cosmetics seems like a waste. Plus over time more maintenance I would guess.
Old 10-18-2019, 01:19 PM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by bk_911
-Is sport chrono necessary?
-Leather dash?

I'm not entirely convinced I care about those 2 options.

What does one really get for sport chrono other than a clock I never look at and an app I don't use.

Leather dash looks cool but 1500 for cosmetics seems like a waste. Plus over time more maintenance I would guess.
my $0.02... Sport Chrono worthless on GT4. It is only the clock and the lap app, nothing mechanical, which virtually no one ever uses. And those serious about that kind of thing usually prefer other kinds anyway. So for all intents and purposes, it’s a matter of whether you cosmetically like the clock for the $$$. If you do, get it. If not, don’t.

Leather dash, on the other hand, is worth it. It makes the interior look and feel far more refined, luxurious, and expensive. Which the car is. If the car will be a track day toy only and if it doesn’t matter to you, then don’t get it. But the vast majority of GT4 owners, yourself probably included and certainly most buyers on resale, will be using the car as a fun weekend car to drive on some curvy roads, go to the occasional cars and coffee, or in some cases, even DD it. For all those uses, the leather interior is important and adds to your sense of enjoyment driving the car since the leather interior is an in your face tactile thing all the time. Without it, the interior feels a bit cheap for a car costing as much as it does.

Old 10-18-2019, 01:25 PM
fantom
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 80 Posts

I plan on Sport Chrono just to play with, but I don't want a $1,500 leather dash sitting in the sun.

Aren't you in CA, so why a close lock???
Old 10-18-2019, 01:30 PM
FazedChicken
Banned

Received 159 Likes on 120 Posts

Those are both must haves for me. I like the clock, even though it's useless.

Leather dash is also a must. I hate the crappy plastic upper parts on the non-leather cars. Definitely worth it to get the leather package. Probably one of their best value options imo. You replace all the plastic and get nice stitched leather everywhere.

If I was only driving on track, then I'd skip it.
Old 10-18-2019, 03:34 PM
ZVDS
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I passed on the clock (you need to get the NAV option too if you want the app to work, that's a very expensive app).

I wanted the leather dash and contrast stitching (silver is fine, not paying to make it yellow/red. If Miami blue stitching was an option I would've taken it.)
If I'm spending that much on a car, it might as well look the part. It won't be a daily, so worrying about sun damage isn't a problem.
Old 10-18-2019, 04:47 PM
iliveoncaffiene
Burning Brakes

Received 399 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by ZVDS
I passed on the clock (you need to get the NAV option too if you want the app to work, that's a very expensive app).
Not true.. it uses your phone's GPS if PCM Nav isn't available.
Old 10-18-2019, 05:06 PM
FazedChicken
Banned

Originally Posted by iliveoncaffiene
Not true.. it uses your phone's GPS if PCM Nav isn't available.
Really, is that something recent? I couldn't get their track app to work with my non-nav car (718 Cayman S) when I tried a couple years ago. Going to give it another try.
Old 10-18-2019, 05:35 PM
iliveoncaffiene
Burning Brakes

Received 399 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by FazedChicken
Really, is that something recent? I couldn't get their track app to work with my non-nav car (718 Cayman S) when I tried a couple years ago. Going to give it another try.
Actually, I have to eat my words (direct from the "Navigation" option on the GT4):
Porsche Track Precision App: The Porsche Track Precision App can only be used in conjunction with the "Navigation including Porsche Connect" option.

I like the idea of sport chrono, but am not splurging for the ridiculously expensive nav option.
Old 10-18-2019, 06:27 PM
FazedChicken
Banned

Yea that's the same how it was before. Not a huge deal since there are other ways to get lap data. I wasn't about to pay $$$ for nav when they have CarPlay available instead. Makes it completely useless.
Old 10-18-2019, 06:39 PM
phefner
Rennlist Member

Received 708 Likes on 422 Posts

Sport Chrono for resale if your not using the functionality.

Agree leather dash is a skip.

My 2 cents.
Old 10-18-2019, 09:26 PM
rouxeny
Pro

Received 397 Likes on 195 Posts

Sports chrono seems like a glorified and expensive clock in this car.

Doesn’t the leather/alcantara interior with deviated stitching include a leather dash?
Old 10-19-2019, 02:03 PM
MEM82
Burning Brakes

Received 269 Likes on 149 Posts

Looks like there is no point in getting SC since I'm getting getting carplay instead of nav. Not worth it I don't think for a clock unless I feel the dash looks bare without it.

No leather dash for me since I am getting the leather/alcantara with silver stitching and that looks luxurious enough for my needs.
Old 10-19-2019, 02:38 PM
bk_911
Rennlist Member

Ok so it seems like I have some conflicting info. The previous sales guy left the dealer and the new one says I'm still V200 but my build doesn't lock until January with production in February and delivery in May.

The leather dash does look phenomenal, but my first GT4 didn't have it and I didn't really notice honestly.
Old 10-19-2019, 04:09 PM
soupy
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 23 Posts

If you do leather dash (which also makes the glove box alcantara btw), it's worth it to also get the steering column in leather. It's weird how the majority of the interior surfaces are in leather/alcantara/soft plastics and then the default steering column is this cheap looking ABS hard plastic. SC was the biggest regret on my build from my 981 GT4. It was a waste of money ($1400) and completely worthless, but it was better integrated in the dashboard back then. Now it's hideously sticking over the dash like 911 SCs.

Right now my own spec is set to this right now: http://www.porsche-code.com/PL4CPU25 Of course if Lizard Green somehow becomes available during my allocation window, I'll gladly switch over to that over Miami Blue.
Old 10-19-2019, 04:34 PM
bk_911
Rennlist Member

Here is my updated build:

http://www.porsche-code.com/PLY866E5

I decided against SC because it has no value to me. And realizing that the track app doesn't work without the 2300 nav option seals its fate.

If I need track data I'll get a more reasonable set up anyway.

Quick Reply: GT4 Build close to lock - let's talk options