Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

PCCB in high gloss black

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2019, 09:32 PM
rob944s2
Rennlist Member

Received 392 Likes on 156 Posts
Default PCCB in high gloss black

I wanted to get your thoughts on this option. I haven't seen it in the configurator before on other models. With my GT4 build I've been considering going all black with silver wheels. I want PCCB primarily for because of brake dust, but I have been thinking the black calipers go much better with this color combination than the yellow does.

Would I be crazy to order gloss black calipers with the PCCB?

Old 10-05-2019, 10:19 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,483 Likes on 922 Posts

IMO it looks good, specially if you will have silver stitching on the interior...the Yellow will add a touch of colors and some will says you should have them in yellow just so people know you have PCCB from a mile away
Old 10-05-2019, 11:10 AM
S S
Burning Brakes

Received 888 Likes on 400 Posts

Too much black IMO. Keep em yellow!

The following users liked this post:
sonicworld (10-14-2019)
Old 10-05-2019, 01:05 PM
bruinmd
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

No, not crazy, but I wouldn't do it. With a black car, I think some color in your calipers would make the car pop overall, bring out the wheels a bit more.
If you don't want to do satin black wheels (which is what I would do), then consider the platinum wheels with the yellow PCCB's.
Old 10-06-2019, 07:28 PM
bk_911
Rennlist Member

Received 242 Likes on 105 Posts

I'm going black calipers on a silver build. I say do it!!
Old 10-06-2019, 09:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Yellow is ugly and inappropriate for Porsche to have relegated PCCB there historically. Go black on all colors.
Old 10-07-2019, 04:59 AM
Railroad W
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ordered carbon ceramic brakes with the black calipers for my Gentian Blue GT4. I personally don't think the yellow calipers look good on any colors except maybe for black and yellow cars. Black calipers on a black car MIGHT be too much. But I'm totally in support of non yellow calipers. By the way, I struggled with black on carbon ceramic brakes, but I'm completely over that. If someone can't tell they are carbon ceramic brakes because the calipers aren't yellow, no big deal to me.
Old 10-07-2019, 01:30 PM
bruinmd
Rennlist Member

Default What about the stock steel brakes......

........can they be ordered in a color other than red or gloss black? Or would an after market paint job be in order?

I think the brakes look great in yellow on the chalk build, but I have no plans on getting the PCCB's
Old 10-07-2019, 01:33 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bruinmd
........can they be ordered in a color other than red or gloss black? Or would an after market paint job be in order?

I think the brakes look great in yellow on the chalk build, but I have no plans on getting the PCCB's

You could try to add a CXX option when the dealers submits your build....but be warned, CXX usually goes with a lot of $$$$$$. If they charge like $800 for the black option you can bet the CXX will be like 4 times that.
Old 10-07-2019, 05:20 PM
bruinmd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jmartpr
You could try to add a CXX option when the dealers submits your build....but be warned, CXX usually goes with a lot of $$$$$$. If they charge like $800 for the black option you can bet the CXX will be like 4 times that.
Thanks. My build is already in......... will have to stick with red calipers in that case. There is no way I'm paying $3k for a different color on brake calipers. Perhaps I can get them painted by someone aftermarket,
Old 10-07-2019, 06:19 PM
JAhmed
Drifting

Received 1,901 Likes on 792 Posts

Doing PCCB with black calipers on a white Spyder with silver wheels. Hate the yellow personally.
Old 10-07-2019, 10:11 PM
Railroad W
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bruinmd
Thanks. My build is already in......... will have to stick with red calipers in that case. There is no way I'm paying $3k for a different color on brake calipers. Perhaps I can get them painted by someone aftermarket,
Many shops will paint your calipers any color for around $1,000. I've thought about painting mine Gentian Blue to match the exterior color. Going to mock up some different things on the computer to see what various combinations of subtle grey graphics (mirrors, tail, possibly something minor on the bottom of the door) would do for the car and will look at painting the calipers in that mock up too. I'm taking a chance in ordering the $800 painted calipers, because that might look best. If I change to Gentian Blue, I've wasted $800.

I can't find it right now, but I read that a top level Porsche executive painted his yellow carbon ceramic brake calipers red. I completely understand that. I suspect some (most?) people like the yellow calipers because of what it signifies.
Old 10-08-2019, 06:21 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 153 Posts

My former jet black Cayman R with PCCB (and silver Spyder wheels and silver PORSCHE side stripes) was beyond gorgeous. The yellow calipers ignited the black and stood out impeccably. I love them and always will. Incidentally my Cayman R door straps and seat belts were red, which I'm assuming there wasn't a yellow option back in 2012.

Yellow calipers don't look great IMO on red cars, just like red calipers don't look correct on orange or green cars, but yellow calipers on the right exterior color and with yellow stitching and seat belts is an impressive and sporty scheme. Since so many cars with PCCB can be found with yellow interior cues like stitching, it's no wonder it's so popular. Anyone not liking this is among the not so silent minority, but to each their own.

Blue cars with yellow calipers look 100% nicer than red calipers. Black calipers are fine. Very Audi-esque. Yellow is a Porsche thing in which I would have no desire to go against the grain.
Old 10-08-2019, 08:35 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MidEngineRules
My former jet black Cayman R with PCCB (and silver Spyder wheels and silver PORSCHE side stripes) was beyond gorgeous. The yellow calipers ignited the black and stood out impeccably. I love them and always will. Incidentally my Cayman R door straps and seat belts were red, which I'm assuming there wasn't a yellow option back in 2012.

Yellow calipers don't look great IMO on red cars, just like red calipers don't look correct on orange or green cars, but yellow calipers on the right exterior color and with yellow stitching and seat belts is an impressive and sporty scheme. Since so many cars with PCCB can be found with yellow interior cues like stitching, it's no wonder it's so popular. Anyone not liking this is among the not so silent minority, but to each their own.

Blue cars with yellow calipers look 100% nicer than red calipers. Black calipers are fine. Very Audi-esque. Yellow is a Porsche thing in which I would have no desire to go against the grain.

I love Yellow calipers...what I don't love is the price tag to have them by choosing PCCB brakes and the cost to service them....specially if you are a track rat like me, you don't want PCCBs.

Quick Reply: PCCB in high gloss black