Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

982 Spyder vs 991.1 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2019, 05:11 PM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Received 833 Likes on 458 Posts
Default 982 Spyder vs 991.1 GT3

I have a deposit down for getting a 982 (718) Spyder next year and my dealer has confirmed they’ll have an allocation for me. Today, I contemplated the possibility of a used 991.1 GT3, since they’re getting close in price. My 718 Spyder spec is $124k (CAD), and based on current market prices, it looks like I should be able to get a 2015 991.1 GT3 next year for around $140k CAD. Slightly higher capital cost/opportunity cost on the GT3, but it might depreciate a little less since it’s already 5 years old, so the total cost of ownership would probably be similar.

I’m still leaning towards getting a new Spyder, but I’m curious what people here think of the choice between the two. I haven’t driven either (or any GT car for that matter), so I can only go by the impressions of others and the spec sheet.

My current thoughts on their relative advantages/disadvantages are:

Spyder Advantages:
  • Cheaper initial purchase price
  • Manual transmission (more engaging to drive, more distinct in a future world of EVs)
  • Lighter mass
  • More exotic styling, prettier in my opinion
  • Rarer (I’ve seen dozens of GT3s in the wild, not a single Spyder)
  • More intelligent PASM damping with better road comfort (based on reviews of the 718 GT4/Spyder)
  • Better steering feel (both from the weight balance and the electric power steering tweaks)
  • Slightly cheaper to maintain
  • Can spec it myself
  • Will be 5 years younger/fresher

GT3 Advantages:
  • Higher revving motor with better sound
  • Better rear suspension geometry
  • Better gearing, more power, and quicker shifting transmission, all to give substantially better straight line acceleration
Old 09-29-2019, 05:29 PM
JUPJAI
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 21 Posts

yep, same dollars.....new vs older ....very different cars. As always, try both and pick em.
Old 09-29-2019, 05:51 PM
JAhmed
Drifting

Received 1,901 Likes on 792 Posts

buy both
Old 09-29-2019, 05:53 PM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Received 833 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by JAhmed
buy both
That would be great, though out of my budget for now. Maybe I’ll buy a 718 Spyder initially, and get a 991.2 GT3 to complement it in a few years
Old 09-29-2019, 06:41 PM
2XIPA
Burning Brakes

Received 317 Likes on 215 Posts

I’ve gone through that battle in my head already. Love the 991 GT3 motor but the cars too big for me. Suppose it’d be fine for the track and such. Either way you can’t go wrong.
Old 09-30-2019, 12:04 AM
bruinmd
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Great question/debate OP-- here are my thoughts:

First off, I have a build allocation for the 982 spyder, and my order will close and be sent for production in early November.
To 'make sure' I wanted this car rather than holding off possibly for the 992 GT3 (which I think my dealer would have done in lieu of this), I drove my friend's 981 GT4 about a month ago. All I can say is 'wow'. All of my concerns about tall gearing, not enough power, etc, were all put to rest once I got behind the wheel of that car.
I've owned a 997.2 GTS and a 987 Cayman S, and his GT4 reminded me why I love mid engine cars, but it had the bonus of being a proper GT car with full buckets. This added tremendously to driver feedback and engagement. As a FYI, I've also driven a 2012 987 Spyder in PDK about 5 years ago and absolutely loved that car.

This same friend of mine also has owned a 991.1 GT3, which he since sold, and told me the 981 GT4 was less harsh on imperfect roads compared to his GT3, if that matters to you.

Bottom line for me-- If I'm getting a GT car, I want a 6MT and at this point in my life, I would take a drop top mid engine version of such a car. After I get more DE days and my skill level goes from ok to very good, I feel I'll be able to extract far more out of a 991.2 or 992 GT3.
For me at this point, it's far easier (and more fun) to get more out of a GT4 or Spyder than it would be the GT3, so that's how I made my decision.
The following 2 users liked this post by bruinmd:
GT3FZS (10-18-2019), wizee (09-30-2019)
Old 09-30-2019, 12:07 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,020 Likes on 5,237 Posts

Convertible (Spyder) or coupe (GT3)?

Drive now (GT3) or wait a year (Spyder)?

Those are the key questions, everything else is just sort of white noise.
Old 09-30-2019, 04:43 PM
CarAholic
Rennlist Member

Received 198 Likes on 119 Posts

If you have to have a manual go Spyder all the way. If that's not a deal breaker go GT3 that motor cannot be beat and it has the remainder of the 10 year power train warranty on it. You can get 20-30k mike examples cheaper then most Spyder builds.
Old 09-30-2019, 11:54 PM
Underblu
Banned

Received 575 Likes on 217 Posts

Seeing a few 16’ GT3RS’s and 18 GT3s pop up locally for around 150k really got me thinking of going that route. But then I row through the gears in my 981 Spyder with the flat six howling behind me and the sun lighting up my face and I forget such wonton thoughts.

My Spyder always garners compliments too. Its body shape is little more exotic than the 911 yet it’s not quite so over the top, look at me, as a Mclaren, Lambo or the latest Ferrari. The Spyder stands apart from the crowd without making a spectacle of itself, and it’s a pretty car, much like an ol’ skool Ferrari. Even though it’s acceleration and handling may not quite equal the latest supercars, it’s driving experience imho is every bit as enjoyable. It also should be noted that it’s mid engine layout means that it mimics some of these more exotic supercars despite being somewhat less capable.

I will say this, after 3 1/2 years of ownership and a bit over 10k miles my Spyder feels stronger than ever and I grow to love it and appreciate more each day. When I bought it new, it felt a little congested, and that feeling lasted well beyond the break-in period. It just seemed to take a bit more time to rev and get into that sweet spot than I was use to. I thought maybe it was because my previous Porsche was a PDK car and the longish gearing wasn’t providing the snap I expected. Now, however, it is more eager and animated than ever and truly really feels like the sibling of the free revving GT3 I drove and loved so much. After spending two weeks with a fantastic 911T in SoCal, I am even more enamored with my Spyder’s free revving, lively nature. It feels light, cart like and analog in a way very few cars can match.

I don't think you could go wrong with either choice but afaic, while everyone was clamoring for GT3s, Porsche built a less manic, spiritual successor to the Carrera GT: a midengine supercar-lite you can really everyday. I am hopeful the 718 Spyder will continue to improve on what is truly special car. I’m number 3 on my drealer’s list.

btw, I highly recommend the LWBS. Most comfortable seats I ever sat in. And getting in an out of them provides a mini workout that will become second nature after the first few months.

Originally Posted by wizee
I have a deposit down for getting a 982 (718) Spyder next year and my dealer has confirmed they’ll have an allocation for me. Today, I contemplated the possibility of a used 991.1 GT3, since they’re getting close in price. My 718 Spyder spec is $124k (CAD), and based on current market prices, it looks like I should be able to get a 2015 991.1 GT3 next year for around $140k CAD. Slightly higher capital cost/opportunity cost on the GT3, but it might depreciate a little less since it’s already 5 years old, so the total cost of ownership would probably be similar.

I’m still leaning towards getting a new Spyder, but I’m curious what people here think of the choice between the two. I haven’t driven either (or any GT car for that matter), so I can only go by the impressions of others and the spec sheet.

My current thoughts on their relative advantages/disadvantages are:

Spyder Advantages:
  • Cheaper initial purchase price
  • Manual transmission (more engaging to drive, more distinct in a future world of EVs)
  • Lighter mass
  • More exotic styling, prettier in my opinion
  • Rarer (I’ve seen dozens of GT3s in the wild, not a single Spyder)
  • More intelligent PASM damping with better road comfort (based on reviews of the 718 GT4/Spyder)
  • Better steering feel (both from the weight balance and the electric power steering tweaks)
  • Slightly cheaper to maintain
  • Can spec it myself
  • Will be 5 years younger/fresher

GT3 Advantages:
  • Higher revving motor with better sound
  • Better rear suspension geometry
  • Better gearing, more power, and quicker shifting transmission, all to give substantially better straight line acceleration

Last edited by Underblu; 10-01-2019 at 01:48 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Underblu:
DFW01TT (10-01-2019), GT3FZS (10-18-2019)
Old 10-01-2019, 01:28 AM
Nacelle
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by JAhmed
buy both
That's a good plan....
Old 10-05-2019, 02:30 AM
obbob
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 79 Posts

I would go GT3, as long as you are okay with blowing your engine. Yes, it will be covered under warranty, but that doesn't mean it'll be a big inconvenience when it happens.

GT4's are great but a GT3 will always have a personality unique to them.
Old 10-14-2019, 12:47 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 62 Posts

The feel of the mid-engine cars is pretty special. When I drive the 911 variants I feel they're an engineering marvel, whereas when I drive the mid-engine variants I feel their beauty is in their inherent balance, working with the forces of nature rather than fighting them (ie like watching a beautiful martial artist.)
The following users liked this post:
wizee (10-14-2019)
Old 10-14-2019, 12:52 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,838 Likes on 1,119 Posts

totally different cars. you decide.
price is not the differentiator here
Old 10-21-2019, 12:02 AM
jj99c2
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

If you track a lot the 991.1 PDK GT3 is a fantastic car - it is amazing in that environment. If you are driving on the street more I would get the spyder w/ 6 speed as it will be more engaging.

Quick Reply: 982 Spyder vs 991.1 GT3