Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

New Spyder on Order

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2019, 12:57 AM
jayson
Pro

Received 481 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Dyim
Does anyone know when production ends? When 718 is done? Which is when?
Through 2021, no idea what that means volume-wise though.
Old 10-13-2019, 02:43 AM
spyder fan
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So you really have nothing. I ordered my 718 Spyder and I have a commission number. Who would really want a PDK in this car anyway?
Old 10-13-2019, 11:04 AM
S1monQc
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spyder fan
So you really have nothing. I ordered my 718 Spyder and I have a commission number. Who would really want a PDK in this car anyway?
Someone who doesn't want to drive at 130 km/h in 2nd gear.
Old 10-13-2019, 08:32 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by S1monQc
Someone who doesn't want to drive at 130 km/h in 2nd gear.
Actually, about 136 km/h, as one of the reviews clocked 2nd at 85 m/h! Could be some speedo tolerance there. To be fair, we don't know yet what would be the PDK ratios. Judging by past generations, could be better, a bit, than MT. Nonetheless, yeah, the depressing saga of tall gearing gotten worse in 982! Sad!!
Old 10-13-2019, 09:38 PM
bruinmd
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by the_rider
Actually, about 136 km/h, as one of the reviews clocked 2nd at 85 m/h! Could be some speedo tolerance there. To be fair, we don't know yet what would be the PDK ratios. Judging by past generations, could be better, a bit, than MT. Nonetheless, yeah, the depressing saga of tall gearing gotten worse in 982! Sad!!
From your prior posts, I was under the impression you love everything about your 981 Spyder. But this post sounds like you have some regret-- thanks to the tall gearing?
Old 10-14-2019, 02:15 AM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by bruinmd
From your prior posts, I was under the impression you love everything about your 981 Spyder. But this post sounds like you have some regret-- thanks to the tall gearing?
Yes, I still love everything about the 981. but, I've been whining and moaning about the tall gearing since I got it!! That's the only heartburn I've with it (well, I've "accepted" the reality of electro-mechanical steering setup; no point lamenting lack of hydraulic feel!). I've decided to remedy the tall gearing issue. Will post up in spring! I can't wait to drive the 982; but, the tall gearing "is" a problem, at least to some of us! Hopefully, it can be mitigated with the same/similar solution available to 981 (hint: dropping final drive ratio).
Old 10-20-2019, 10:33 PM
bruinmd
Rennlist Member

Yes, I still love everything about the 981. but, I've been whining and moaning about the tall gearing since I got it!! That's the only heartburn I've with it (well, I've "accepted" the reality of electro-mechanical steering setup; no point lamenting lack of hydraulic feel!). I've decided to remedy the tall gearing issue. Will post up in spring! I can't wait to drive the 982; but, the tall gearing "is" a problem, at least to some of us! Hopefully, it can be mitigated with the same/similar solution available to 981 (hint: dropping final drive ratio).
I drove my friend's 981 GT4 and it didn't really bother me much to be honest, but that was a brief drive, while people like you have been driving the car day in and day out.

I'll be curious to see what your solution is-- please post it for the rest of us.
I have the option of waiting on a 992 GT3 or getting the 982 Spyder, and I've chosen the latter option.
Old 10-23-2019, 10:32 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

I'll be curious to see what your solution is-- please post it for the rest of us.
I have the option of waiting on a 992 GT3 or getting the 982 Spyder, and I've chosen the latter option.
Here is the remedy I'm looking into:
AQM 981 Shorter Final Drive Ratio

Over the winter, will talk to John Gaydos and get it done before spring. It should transform the experience totally. It appears, 982 Spyder/GT4 have taken the driving dynamics to next level. So, your choice of choosing the Spyder over GT3 is a great move. For the street, hearing the glorious sound track with top down while being more tossable, is a priceless experience! And, you're still getting a GT car! An open-top GT; even better!
The following users liked this post:
bruinmd (10-24-2019)
Old 10-24-2019, 12:12 AM
2XIPA
Burning Brakes

Received 316 Likes on 214 Posts

Over the winter, will talk to John Gaydos and get it done before spring. It should transform the experience totally. It appears, 982 Spyder/GT4 have taken the driving dynamics to next level. So, your choice of choosing the Spyder over GT3 is a great move. For the street, hearing the glorious sound track with top down while being more tossable, is a priceless experience! And, you're still getting a GT car! An open-top GT; even better!
Looks like a great solution.

Interesting comparison.

The current MT magazine shows the PDK speed in gears for a 718 Boxster at:
1st - 41, 2nd - 70, 3rd - 98, 4th - 124, 5th - 149, 6th - 170, and 7th - 160.

While AutoQuest is calculating speed in gears for the AQM at:
1st - 39, 2nd - 68, 3rd - 94, 4th - 117, 5th - 159, and 6th - 163

Old 10-24-2019, 11:55 AM
bruinmd
Rennlist Member

Very nice-- and thanks for the link.

I just hope whatever is delaying production isn't a big issue. My uninformed take is that it likely relates to particulate filters (removal of) for cars in the U.S.
I hope to get more info when I speak to the GM of my dealership in about a week
Old 10-24-2019, 12:02 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,476 Likes on 918 Posts

I just hope whatever is delaying production isn't a big issue. My uninformed take is that it likely relates to particulate filters (removal of) for cars in the U.S.

If it's indeed an issue with particulate filters it could be that since US cars wont have them they do need some kind of baffle or noise limiting material on the cars and has to fit on that area where the GPF are located.
Muffler for the new 718 GT4/Spyder is smaller and has less sound absorption since it was designed for particulate filters which do lower sound levels. Kind of what happened with the Speedster.
But I can't believe PAG didn't see this coming so this is just my theory.....
Old 10-24-2019, 12:03 PM
iliveoncaffiene
Burning Brakes

Received 399 Likes on 234 Posts

Uh.... so we've already had the 992 released in the US which they've already done this (remove the particulate filters).
I'm very skeptical that the same, exact thing is an issue on a separate model.

It's not like they release the 992, remove it, get to the 718 GT4/Spyder later on and go, "Oh yea we have to remove those don't we? I know we just did it months ago for another vehicle but we forgot again..."

@jmartpr same answer - they've literally already done this for the 992 release.....
Old 10-24-2019, 12:43 PM
bruinmd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by iliveoncaffiene
Uh.... so we've already had the 992 released in the US which they've already done this (remove the particulate filters).
I'm very skeptical that the same, exact thing is an issue on a separate model.

It's not like they release the 992, remove it, get to the 718 GT4/Spyder later on and go, "Oh yea we have to remove those don't we? I know we just did it months ago for another vehicle but we forgot again..."

@jmartpr same answer - they've literally already done this for the 992 release.....
I didn't say they forgot to remove them. I said it's possible there is an issue with them specific to the GT4/Spyder. Hopefully, I'm wrong and it's not too much of a delay, but the fact that dealers have raised prices of used 981 GT4's on the lot makes me think this delay will be longer than a few months.
Old 10-24-2019, 12:46 PM
bruinmd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jmartpr
If it's indeed an issue with particulate filters it could be that since US cars wont have them they do need some kind of baffle or noise limiting material on the cars and has to fit on that area where the GPF are located.
Muffler for the new 718 GT4/Spyder is smaller and has less sound absorption since it was designed for particulate filters which do lower sound levels. Kind of what happened with the Speedster.
But I can't believe PAG didn't see this coming so this is just my theory.....
I really hope you're right jmart.
Old 10-24-2019, 01:27 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,476 Likes on 918 Posts

I really hope you're right jmart.
Lets see....but I really hope they are just trying to get the PDK out ASAP!

Quick Reply: New Spyder on Order