Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Is the 718 GT4/Spyder Gearing a Show-Stopper for the Street?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2019, 02:59 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

No, the gearing is not a show-stopper on the street. At all. The Boxster and Cayman (along with the Miata) have always been some of the best cars to drive on the street at any price.

Sure, the 981 gearing could be a bit shorter, but by no means does it ruin the experience.
The following 2 users liked this post by CaymanSinAR:
JAhmed (08-09-2019), Surge74 (08-07-2019)
Old 07-29-2019, 08:07 PM
BlueNorther
Pro

Received 153 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by HamiltonGT4
I have a manual carrera T and it drives really well I’m so happy with it! However I have an itch to switch to a convertible and have the same concerns about the gearing after watching the videos . I’m afraid that I will notice a huge difference. It a hard decision for me and hope I don’t regret the switch. I have a deposit down on a Spyder at my local dealer
I don't expect to convince you or anyone on this forum, but how about this: keep the T, and add a lowly 718 base Boxster with MT for the convertible. Treat as your beater Porsche. One you get over the motor boat sound at idle and at low RPM, it is actually a decent Porsche. You just have to keep the RPM's above 3000 but once there it is a great little car on the back roads. Never realized convertibles could be so much fun. I also don't mind taking it on dirt roads to trail heads etc. My 991.2 GTS is a great car too, but can be too much engine for the mountain roads. It's been sitting in the garage waiting for the end of convertible season. Lots of chatter about the C8, but larger and stupid fast does not always mean more fun.
The following 3 users liked this post by BlueNorther:
AlexCeres (08-27-2020), RobMtz (08-08-2019), Z06jerry (08-09-2019)
Old 07-30-2019, 03:52 PM
Chester7
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueNorther
Lots of chatter about the C8, but larger and stupid fast does not always mean more fun.
So true
Old 08-07-2019, 11:23 AM
Surge74
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

It is actually BETTER for driving in traffic to have tall/long gears. I am glad my 718 Spyder has these gear ratios - think about it: you never need to leave 2nd gear, which means far less shifting and clutch work.
And to those who say you can't run the engine to redline - that's false - you can still do so in 1st and 2nd gear (although in 2nd you are doing something like 85 mph) -- but you can still run it to redline in 1st any time you like.
Old 08-07-2019, 12:57 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by CaymanSinAR
No, the gearing is not a show-stopper on the street. At all. The Boxster and Cayman (along with the Miata) have always been some of the best cars to drive on the street at any price.

Sure, the 981 gearing could be a bit shorter, but by no means does it ruin the experience.
To add, you can't have a complete conversation about acceleration (which is why gearing is being questioned) without at least factoring throttle response, how quick the motor revs to redline, and the force (multiplied torque) being generated across the entire rev range. When someone questions the gearing I'm assuming they're wanting harder acceleration at low speed points. I never found my Spyder nor my current GT4 lacking in acceleration on grippy roads (traction is paramount). Perhaps if I drove in top gear at posted speed limits and expected the same acceleration as if in a much lower gear. BL is that you need to operate something optimally for the need. If you're unwilling to do that, or if your primary use is to weave through heavy traffic at or below posted speed limits, then there are other better choices in cars. As far as torque goes, there's no replacement for displacement.
The following users liked this post:
Surge74 (08-07-2019)
Old 08-07-2019, 01:13 PM
Surge74
Racer

Agreed.
And it's not impossible to swap the manual transmission ratios either, but I'm glad they are the way they are.

On another note: Personally, I think a PDK would be terrible for a GT4 or Spyder, and a great way to destroy resale value.... but to each their own.
Old 08-09-2019, 01:56 AM
X2Board
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by MidEngineRules
As far as torque goes, there's no replacement for displacement.
Forced induction says you are wrong.
Old 08-09-2019, 09:32 AM
Surge74
Racer

Originally Posted by X2Board
Forced induction says you are wrong.
Huh? No... not if you prefer linear and fast throttle response.
There's a reason the GT3 is naturally aspirated. Most people much prefer a linear increase of torque and HP, and the no-lag, immediate throttle response that only NA engines provide.
Old 08-09-2019, 01:56 PM
BlueNorther
Pro

Received 153 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Surge74
Huh? No... not if you prefer linear and fast throttle response.
There's a reason the GT3 is naturally aspirated. Most people much prefer a linear increase of torque and HP, and the no-lag, immediate throttle response that only NA engines provide.
You'd be surprised how linear and fast the throttle response feels on the 991.2, at least with the GTS in sports +, where the turbos pre boosted and ready to go. (If it only came with the GT3 sound and red line, no comparison there...)
Old 08-09-2019, 01:58 PM
Surge74
Racer

Not to bash it, but the 991.2 GTS is known for its turbo lag. The best engine in the 991.2 lineup, outside of the GT3, is the base engine. Most immediate throttle response, still has some lag, but far less than the S and GTS...
Old 08-09-2019, 02:37 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Not to bash it, but the 991.2 GTS is known for its turbo lag. The best engine in the 991.2 lineup, outside of the GT3, is the base engine. Most immediate throttle response, still has some lag, but far less than the S and GTS...
Fully concur. I still have a 991.2 S and the lag is significant. I have seat time in the GTS and whomever hits the throttle first wins. Porsche never makes one flat and the other sharp. It's sharp and slightly less sharp. The 991.2 S/GTS all require quite a lot of effort to make them move quick. People like to talk about turbos like they're so efficient and capable that partial throttle is all you need to enter hyperdrive. No you have to put the throttle to the floor and it's not a light action pedal. It's almost like Porsche intends you to drive the car in a sedate way. At highway speeds in the 991.2, you have no passing power without downshifting several gears. Otherwise you bury the throttle and wait for the power to come on. Carrera T is the best of the 991.2. The lower gearing makes up for the lag.
Surge74 (08-09-2019)
Old 08-09-2019, 04:27 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 437 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by 2XIPA
It is for me. That’s why I’m waiting for PDK.
+7 or 8
Old 08-09-2019, 04:43 PM
mb1
Rennlist Member

Received 208 Likes on 124 Posts

I own a 991.2 C4 and love the base engine. I've owned NA 911's, and thought they were great cars also. People like to call the power delivery in the NA engine linear, but in my opinion, it's no more linear than the current turbo, maybe even less so. It always had lag when cruising at RPM less than 4-4.5K. People just don't like to call it lag in the NA version. Power delivery was always like wait for it, wait for it, then boom. Instead of calling it lag, one could call power delivery at lower RPMs in the NA engine sluggish, but no one would like that either.
I completely agree that sound wise, NA wins hands down. I'm seriously considering going 718 Spyder next year. I hope I don't miss the 991.2 base engine.
Old 08-09-2019, 04:54 PM
Mark993TT
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Not to bash it, but the 991.2 GTS is known for its turbo lag.
LOL
Old 08-09-2019, 05:35 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mb1
I own a 991.2 C4 and love the base engine. I've owned NA 911's, and thought they were great cars also. People like to call the power delivery in the NA engine linear, but in my opinion, it's no more linear than the current turbo, maybe even less so. It always had lag when cruising at RPM less than 4-4.5K. People just don't like to call it lag in the NA version. Power delivery was always like wait for it, wait for it, then boom. Instead of calling it lag, one could call power delivery at lower RPMs in the NA engine sluggish, but no one would like that either.
I completely agree that sound wise, NA wins hands down. I'm seriously considering going 718 Spyder next year. I hope I don't miss the 991.2 base engine.
Base engines are fun because they make you work to squeeze all the power out of it. Way more fun than as you describe, being in top gear and expecting hard acceleration when cruising. That's not called lag, it's called lug as in lugging the engine. You're using the motor incorrectly. These cars have gearboxes for a reason.
2slow2speed (08-09-2019)

Quick Reply: Is the 718 GT4/Spyder Gearing a Show-Stopper for the Street?